The End to the Color Guard Controversy

I'm guessing I live a sheltered life since I have never been to a drum corps show and heard anyone "dis" today's drum corps performers as not being real corps. Then again, I don't recall hearing anyone boo Star either.

Ain't saying neither has never happened, only that I haven't witnessed it.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a horn player and I probably should stay out of this but I marched in the RA last year.  I know a lot of junior corps kids thru my son and the high schools I've been around.  They enjoyed watching the RA perform last summer but NOT one of them, guard, horn players or drummers wanted to do what I was doing.  The fact is, they enjoy doing what THEY'RE doing and I think it is unfair to try to force MY drum corps down their throats.  As much as I would be offended if someone had tried in 1978 to say, You have to do it like we did in the fifties.

I'm telling you....I screamed my head off when 27th performed. I cried. I loved it. Would I want to do it? #### NO.

i felt the same way watching RA last year. It's like....I want to thank you {RA} for the sweet rememberance of what drum corps used to be. You show us that you still have it, no matter the age. B) but not only that, it's like a reminder of where we've come from. Our roots so to speak. I'm also thankful that you're doing the Crawford tribute. I can't count on my fingers and toes and the fingers and toes of the 20 people around me here at work that are in drum corps BECAUSE of him. I'm glad groups like SCV alum, RA, 27th, etc are out there still and I support them. I want them to stay. It's our history. And I'd like to point out, New School never denied Old School's place in the Drum Corps family tree. I wish I could say the same for old school. :(

Edited by LisaLisaMoMeesa

Ain't saying neither has never happened, only that I haven't witnessed it.

spend a few minutes on RAMD. And I did witness the classless act of people booing Star. It's funny, the boos were loud and clear...yet no one since that time has ever had the balls to step up and say, "My Name's John...I boo'd Star". Tacky. Shamefull. Disgusting. Three words I used to describe those people. (I'd also like to add bitter and jealous.)

I sure hope Lisa's not lumping me into that "old school" stereotype..............

I'm trying to say that some of us - Terriditt included - who come from the "old school" do NOT "diss" the current drum corps scene -

I am simply trying to understand it better - NOT to speak badly about today's drum corps!

Does this make sense, LLMM?????

I sure hope Lisa's not lumping me into that "old school" stereotype..............

I'm trying to say that some of us - Terriditt included - who come from the "old school" do NOT "diss" the current drum corps scene -

I am simply trying to understand it better - NOT to speak badly about today's drum corps!

Does this make sense, LLMM?????

Rob,

You know I love doing what I'm doing in RA. And that is before my era. I didn't start until the 70's! It is an honor to play those charts that I NEVER thought I'd get to play. The great works of Colonel Crawford.

But I do respect what the kids are doing now. They are very talented. And they are the same as we were, for the most part. Just kids and young adults having a great time doing corps.

I just think there is room for all of us. No either/or.

Thanks Lisa for your kind words about RA and the alumni movement. I think it is a great thing too!

Oh, and...I dont see where anyone said going back to doing a block of basics, your sophmoric sarcasm is lost on me......can you find it and post it ??

Thanks

~G~

that's.......pretty much what old school work was G~

And you have to understand her sarcasm. I have never ever heard a kid look at old school drum corps and say "Chh.... that's not drum corps". I wish I could say the same aobut old school. It get's a bit frustrating and dissapointing knowing there's a crowd of bitter old trolls that do NOTHING but come to drum corps shows and knock what the kids are doing from top to bottom. I'd be a little sarcastic too if I left my heart and soul on the field only to come to DCP and RAMD and here what get's thrown around.

:whip:

Ok, first of all. I aint no old, bitter troll...I guess all my posts get ignored and it's more fun to just assume what I think.

Im pretty sure its in writing how I feel about todays guards in general...even in this thread. I guess that is ignored.

Old school to me, is NOT what you would consider old school, I guess.

I consider the era I march (79-87) old school, and thats what I refer to in regards to comparing "old vs new"

And if these kiddies are such thin skinned they should not be reading an open forum where everything is not sunshine, lollipops and rainbows.

And where am I knocking shows from top to bottom ???? I would like to know where in this thread I have mocked everything from top to bottom. I havent "mocked" anything, but I have offered my opinion on certain aspects of todays modern guard, the hideous outfits for the most part and the absence of solid technique throughout the activity.....what, it isnt true ???

If anything I can come up with dozens and dozens of "new scool" guard moments that are intriguing, challenging and satisfying...so please, don't tell me I criticize everything from top to bottom because thats just not true.

~G~

G~ I never said you were a bitter old troll. I was talking about bitter old trolls, but I never called you one. You and I like the same guards. And we agree alot on the the cleanliness issues. I guess because I was quoting on your post you thought I was calling you a bitter old troll, but I wasn't. I was referring to the people (mostly on RAMD, you know who they are) that knock a show from top to bottom, completely thumb their nose at, say it's not drum corps and totally discredit the hard work those kids have put in for the season. These are ususally the same people that make grandios claims about starting whole new circuits and that they're going to show those snot nosed kids what drum corps is all about...then you never hear from them again...unless of course they want to knock another show. THOSE are the people I am talking about.

Not YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! :angel: