SCV 1987

That was SCV's first year on kevlar...

That was ANYONE'S first year on kevlar...those were the first generation kevlar heads...no one else had them.

As for them being dirty in the lot...big freakin' deal...the judges aren't in the lot...it's what's on the field in comp that counts. The lot's where you blow off the cobwebs and make your mistakes.

SCV had the bad mello notes at the end...Garfield had the VERY clear few seconds of battery/pit phasing (which should have cost them the perfect score, imo)...if anything really left a bad mark on SCV it would be the drill...the opener was not particularly clean at some exposed places.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was ANYONE'S first year on kevlar...those were the first generation kevlar heads...no one else had them.

As for them being dirty in the lot...big freakin' deal...the judges aren't in the lot...it's what's on the field in comp that counts. The lot's where you blow off the cobwebs and make your mistakes.

SCV had the bad mello notes at the end...Garfield had the VERY clear few seconds of battery/pit phasing (which should have cost them the perfect score, imo)...if anything really left a bad mark on SCV it would be the drill...the opener was not particularly clean at some exposed places.

Not that it makes a difference, but I read his post to be referring to 2 different years. Kevlar comments = 87. Lot recording comments = 89.

Not that it makes a difference, but I read his post to be referring to 2 different years. Kevlar comments = 87. Lot recording comments = 89.

No...the full paragraph was a reference to 87...he mentioned a little grey he heard in SCV's line on kevlar while Garf went undefeated...same season.

The 87-89 reference was a different thing.

Let me clarify, if I may.

I meant 1987 SCV was gray in three different places in their book. I have the judge's tape around here somewhere. 3 spots the judge called them out. Garfield did not make any field errors in front of the field judge in 87. I have that tape, as well.

I thought 87 SCV was fantastic, but they did give up some stuff while the man in the green shirt was in front of them. Oops. Happens to us all. However, the maroon team played together when the judge was in front of them...I know people get their undies in a bunch about 87, because BD was on last, and Cadets got a 30 before they went on.

My thought are...if a particular performance moves you, then you credit it. None of the 3 judges knew the others had maxed them out until after they came downstairs. 3 different people, 3 different vantage points, ALL were moved to the point of handing out a 10. If each man who was judging was THAT moved to give up a perfect score, it's because they felt that particular performance was the pinnacle of what could be achieved at that time. They could have easily given BD a 10 as well, and tied in a sub-caption. But...look at BD's number...a FULL POINT below in perc perf and GE perc. They were not even close to being in the running. I believe the "perfect 30" is a statement to itself about how that show was percieved...state of the art in composition and effect.

Now SCV? Great effect...however, nothing revolutionary in regard to composition. Just great, ba**s out drum corps.

I meant 1987 SCV was gray in three different places in their book. I have the judge's tape around here somewhere. 3 spots the judge called them out. Garfield did not make any field errors in front of the field judge in 87. I have that tape, as well.

I thought 87 SCV was fantastic, but they did give up some stuff while the man in the green shirt was in front of them. Oops. Happens to us all. However, the maroon team played together when the judge was in front of them...I know people get their undies in a bunch about 87, because BD was on last, and Cadets got a 30 before they went on.

My thought are...if a particular performance moves you, then you credit it. None of the 3 judges knew the others had maxed them out until after they came downstairs. 3 different people, 3 different vantage points, ALL were moved to the point of handing out a 10. If each man who was judging was THAT moved to give up a perfect score, it's because they felt that particular performance was the pinnacle of what could be achieved at that time. They could have easily given BD a 10 as well, and tied in a sub-caption. But...look at BD's number...a FULL POINT below in perc perf and GE perc. They were not even close to being in the running. I believe the "perfect 30" is a statement to itself about how that show was percieved...state of the art in composition and effect.

Now SCV? Great effect...however, nothing revolutionary in regard to composition. Just great, ba**s out drum corps.

That's probably the best explanation I've ever seen or heard about how the scores fell in 87. Thank you for that very insightful post.

I guess I'll just always be uncomfortable with the way some of the scores fell in 87. I've always considered Garfield's show to be a "Visual Masterpiece" that I feel very privileged to have seen from up top to fully appreciate (and Thank The Gods recently got my hands on a High Camera tape of the Semi-Finals performance). Heck! I even started my own poll to see how many other people agree with me. (Poll Here) But Garfield actually seemed to get dumped a little in GE Visual and that's the very caption I would have expected to give them the edge on finals night - if it was destined to happen... in my opinion.

But, like you said, it's just a bunch of guys in green shirts calling it as they personally see it. And I stopped scratching my head about this a long time ago and will love LOVE LOVE both 87 Garfield AND SCV till the day I die.

But, like you said, it's just a bunch of guys in green shirts calling it as they personally see it. And I stopped scratching my head about this a long time ago and will love LOVE LOVE both 87 Garfield AND SCV till the day I die.

:thumbup:

Me too.

Wow, perfectly stated. (Pun intended)

Scott,

Thanks for posting those!!

Jay Kennedy's comment is priceless!

The Field sheet says "That's the way you play THAT!!"

I think in 1990 when we won drums we got a 9.9 in GE perc and a 9.9 in Ensemble perc with a 9.7 on the field...but those 87 numbers are a statement!

Edited by Cadetsnare