horn line tours

lupin

when you say "good" do you mean "good for drum corps" or "good period" because there is a huge difference between the two.

Well, the person I was responding to sounded like he meant "good period". I don't really know enough about him to tell you what he meant by his saying that he is VERY GOOD at all of these instruments.

For the sake of the drum corps I suppose I feel there should be no distinction; a good musician is a good musician. To me, it seems you mean good vs. "good enough". I'm the kind of person that never wants to be "good enough" and I would rather other people not settle for that, either.

Look guys, I realize that any brass player can pick up any brass instrument and sound "good enough". An 8th grader could do that. I also realize that some people play a different horn out of necessity. I just take issue with the fact that some people make a large part of their drum corps experience about how many different instruments they can play.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just take issue with the fact that some people make a large part of their drum corps experience about how many different instruments they can play.

I just don't see how that could have a negative connotation. I'm mean sure, I'm probably not going to be 1st chair philharmonic on ANY of the brasses I play. Or I&E Champion. But I don't think that just specializing on ONE instrument would make even a dent in changing that. And from a career perspective, having the option to switch could be the difference between working and not. Especially if you're not top of the heap on either.

A friend of mine that i have known since high school has made the tour of the hornline and the drumline.

In High School

Trombone for freshman marching season and in concert ensembles, jazz band and orchestra throughout his 4 years

Tenors for his sophomore marching season

Snare junior and senior

Teal Sound 2006

Originally auditioned for snare

Put on Mello

Moved to trumpet from March camp til end of 1st tour

Moved to Tuba for 2nd tour

Snare and Tenors for Heatwave until they folded. Auditioned for Snarelines of Phantom Regiment and Teal Sound was offered cymbal spot at Teal, then 4th bass spot but couldn't march that year

Auditioned for snarelines of Phantom Regiment, Madison Scouts, and Teal Sound

right before summer jumped into a bari hole at Troopers

Auditioned for snareline of Phantom Regiment, got called back for the 2nd camp. Marching Snare for Sun Devils