horn line tours

lupin

Nice!

I didn't know you had served in the Army.

There is no one I respect more than those who step up to serve our country. :worthy::worthy::worthy:

I thought that it would be fairly obvious with my stubbornness on certain issues. And it sort of runs in the Family. Dad is a retired AF officer. Oldest Brother was in the Navy Reserves. Next to oldest Brother should retire from the Army in the near future (E8). He even served in Iraq (South Bahgdad, the rough part of town). Pretty much everyone except my Mom and Youngest Brother.

I should probably review my records, it seems like I didn't list a few years that I did sponsor kids in other corps. No sponsorship less than $100, and some years I sponsored two kids.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that it would be fairly obvious with my stubbornness on certain issues. And it sort of runs in the Family. Dad is a retired AF officer. Oldest Brother was in the Navy Reserves. Next to oldest Brother should retire from the Army in the near future (E8). He even served in Iraq (South Bahgdad, the rough part of town). Pretty much everyone except my Mom and Youngest Brother.

to the whole clan: :rolleyes::thumbup::thumbup:

www.pacificlegend.8m.com I was the corps director, arranger, instructor, lead sop, lead bari, and contra. The mellophone spot was held open for little kids who couldnt play yet...until we had enough people in every other section to warrant putting someone good on mellophone, which never happened......Oh, and I did this from age 16 to 19.

Edited by ussglassman

Started out on a valve and rotor Flugal, was supposed to move into french horn but that was not working too well for me(that mouth piece is just too darned small..) Valve and Rotor baritone, and believe I went to two valve bari before we received our Euphoniums. Started to toy with Contra after the '82 season but the Corp folded that winter and I did not march after that.(went straight into the Army after High School) I also played 3 valve concert bari in High School, but honestly I was not in the greatest of High School bands, and only joined at the behest of the then teacher who was former USMC Drum Corp. (Of course he left after the first year).

After a 20 something year break, picked up a 2 valve bari, and now playing a 3 Valve "G" Dynasty Euphonium.

Not too big a tour of the horn line.

Kids.... neither one plays Brass, yet! Both are pretty darned good guitarist, the youngest really has some talent in there.

lead sop, lead mello, contra, then 3rd bari, over the last four years with Capitol Brass Ensemble 90-93

We started off early`90 short on mellos, then contras in `91. The last year, I agreed to play bari as part of a deal with my friend, Kevin Foster, to play in the line.

With the new Capital Brass!, I often have to sub on various trumpet parts. And last year, we lost our 2nd Mello in late August; so I had to move over there for the rest of the season. Also had to play bari on one gig last year. So. I performed in 3 of the sections in `08.

REALLY hope I don't ever have to play tuba/contra again!

OK, I had a tour over 4 seasons. Then 3 sections last year. But, if I reach WAY back....

Started on baritone bugle, one valve - in the Troy Clovers (I was a trombone player, in elementary school then - played it through high school), and then on to the Wynantskill Killmen, and got a slide to go with my valve!

When I went to the Spiegalaires, got moved to frenchie, with a v/r, for one season. Them long, skinny ones that looked like a small baritone. The corps got smart and ditched them the next year, and so I ended up with a mellophone, the old (Smith, I think) round ones, where you couldn't see in front of you.

Played mello with Speigs, I-Men and Vagabonds, and switched to sop (2-valve) when we started Noble-Callahan.

When we morphed into CBE, I played lead sop, until my tour started through the sections.

Edited by brassomaniac

so, you guys have a favorite horn that youve played?

I think my favorite was instrument is mello. There's just something cool about cutting through with all those fifths. However, as an arranger, I've come to appreciate and understand how incredibly important all the instruments and parts truly are much more than I ever did as a player.

for me,,, Bari,, 3 valve dynasty G bugle..

nice..

mellophone would be my second choice... i played two valve G bugle,, can't remember who made it,,

so, you guys have a favorite horn that youve played?

Played the mello for a lot of my drum corps years. Always liked the lines, counter-melodies, the color of the horn. The power it could wield, in a good section. And the parts in our new corps are a lot of fun to play.

I don't mind subbing on baritone, but when I have to, I like to use a "baby bari" (marching tbone). Responds a lot better, and a handy instrument for doubling, or subbing, for a trumpet player.

The contra was a lot of work for me. Wouldn't want to do that again.

But, I'm a trumpet player now, and very much prefer to stay right here. Also love to solo on a flugel, maybe a cornet, once in a while.

Edited by brassomaniac

Depending on how this upcoming summer shakes out, I'll make the tour.

Started out Kilties bariton and contra. Went to Bush on trumpet.

Back to contra with Golden Eagles for mini and now staring down one helluva mello book.

Love being a contra chick, always have and always will but I think I'm falling into something utterly amazing with the mello.