horn line tours

lupin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still tend to favor Euph. Lots of donuts so you don't spend much time memorizing. And lots of hang time during rehearsal since it's hard to mess up footballs. Plus there's just something about having no limits when it comes to volume.

Tuba was alright, just too much effort to master.

Mello was good, but too much black to memorize and any sort of phasing (behind the beat) is obnoxiously obvious (but only after you watch the video at seasons end).

Trumpet was more of a courtesy. You really have to pace yourself. And there's a point of diminishing returns if you try to play louder. So you're never really going at it full bore. And you feel kind of cheated coming off the field with something left in reserve.

Tuba/contra is awesome at the beginning of the season. Especially if you have a nice sized line. From the middle of the season I kinda started hating it, having to drag it everywhere with you me just having to know that if it weren't for those 30 extra pounds, I wouldn't be hurting so bad. I think my dislike for my contra last year came after doing a parade in San Francisco in the middle of summer. Not too hot, but after a long parade, then having to drag it back to wherever I parked at the beginning of the parade route is torture.

I still tend to favor Euph. Lots of donuts so you don't spend much time memorizing. And lots of hang time during rehearsal since it's hard to mess up footballs. Plus there's just something about having no limits when it comes to volume.
Really? I have more trouble memorizing long tones... because there is not much in the way of muscle memory, which is how my memorizing gets done. Now, with mello, I can't even read the music that fast, so I HAVE to memorize it. >_> That is how I PLAY!

Not too hot, but after a long parade, then having to drag it back to wherever I parked at the beginning of the parade route is torture.

That is why you have to stop along the way for liquid refreshment. 2002 SCVAC had our stadium practice and it was not a long walk, but long enough to warrant libations and at the time, a cigar break. You should have seen the Madison alumni, at their bar they hang at right off the stadium, when this big buy in a Hawaiian shirt, with a Kanstul GG contra parks it right at the bar, lights up a nice Dominican cigar and orders a Cuba Libre (or 4-6)!

Priceless.

Playing wise, nothing beats the mighty contra, so long as the drill is supressed and you can worry about playing. Bass bari/ euph tends to have all the power parts though. I do not like playing lead, so the guys that have a work ethic and ego can play those!!! :thumbdown:

This boy don't play no wussy 3rd of the chord!!!

Tonic or 5th for me!!!

when i started corps, i played mello and sop, then i moved into the low brass. baritone was fun, but tuba (contra) is the grandest of all that i have played. although sometimes i think you have to be ######## to lift that toilet bowl on your shoulders...

Try This one (I'm thinking there isn't a horn I didn't play)

Piccolo Soprano - Granite State Garrison

Soprano - Granite State Garrison/Boston Crusaders

Flugel/Alto - Boston Crusaders

Mellophone - Amoskeag Sound

French Horn - 27th Lancers Alumni/Amoskeag Sound

Baritone - Granite State Garrison/Bridgemen

Euphonium - Bridgemen

Here's where it gets tricky

Tuba - Keene HS MB (ouch)

Really? I have more trouble memorizing long tones... because there is not much in the way of muscle memory, which is how my memorizing gets done. Now, with mello, I can't even read the music that fast, so I HAVE to memorize it. >_> That is how I PLAY!

My memory is more visual, being a techy type. You can memorize the Euph part in like five minutes. I also like it, in that you parallel the Contra voice most of the time so you can really HONK on those roots and fifths. With 3rds and 7ths (2nd Bari / Lead), you can't really go nuclear. At least not without being called out by the instructional staff.

Well Rob I have made my tour of the horn line as well its cool to see what it is like in other sections of the line.

98-2000 Bracken Cavaliers Valve-rotor bari and two valve mello

2001 Lehigh Valley knights Two-Valve Contra

2002-2004 Lehigh Valley Knights B-Flat Baritone

2005-2007 Cincinnati Tradition Contra ( Valve-Rotor, Two-Valve and Three-Valve)

:thumbdown: 2008 Cincinnati Tradition Lead Soprano :worthy:

:worthy: 2008 Rochester Crusaders Contra/Tuba :worthy:

So as you can see i have made my tour of the hornline.

Edited by Forever_Knight

My memory is more visual, being a techy type. You can memorize the Euph part in like five minutes. I also like it, in that you parallel the Contra voice most of the time so you can really HONK on those roots and fifths. With 3rds and 7ths (2nd Bari / Lead), you can't really go nuclear. At least not without being called out by the instructional staff.

True you can blast all you want. But do you really want to? Mellos can go nuclear and the staff just asks why the rest of the line isn't cutting like that guy (me).