Cavaliers 2002

the show was designed to be performed perfectly by stripping the demand. it was written to the sheets, and to that end, it was a championship show.

I wouldn't say "stripping the demand," but I would agree that it was designed to max out the sheets. People bag on Cavaliers for their design tendencies, but it is undeniable that their show designs of this decade have been extremely effective. Why write a show that is super demanding and impossible to clean enough to win when you can write a show that is MORE effective (partially because it is so clean). Their staff has an amazing knack for designing a show/production teaching & cleaning schedule that maxes out the sheets. Until other corps figure out the formula and/or change the activity enough to "force" Cavaliers to change up their game plan, they will continue to contend for a Championship.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike I dont care if they played quarters. at finals I expect them to be clean. I listen to the 92 drum break, fuzz galore, and dont get mad, cause at least they were ramming. but to blow 8th notes at finals? I'm sorry, you dont deserve 19+ for yur number.

so what about cadets 2000? the 2 quarter notes after the drum feature that were dirty. By your logic they should score like what a 17? everybody makes mistakes like these.

Don't worry about Jeff's post. He misspelled a simple word like "your" and didn't put apostrophes in his contractions, so by his logic we shouldn't give much credit to what he has to say. :thumbdown:

Most of which are not valid. When it comes to demand, I think the only people who would have a strong grasp of the demand of a show in any particular year are the members who performed it and the staff who cleaned it.

Just watch the show with an analytic mind, and think ensemble. Maybe the show was difficult for some individuals; every show is. But how often is the entire corps performing as an ensemble? The toughest drill was when the hornline wasn't playing and some of the toughest playing was when the hornline wasn't marching. And in general, the tempos of the different segments of the show didn't impress me too much either. And the show was designed to win. Being designed to win, you can see that the intervals in general weren't very big, which makes the forms easier to dress for the members. And if you watch the drill, you can see dirt, and more than just a little bit of it, namely after the company front that dissolves laterally into a block, condenses, then the edges fold out into a cross then fold into a triangle. That was really dirty for a 99.15.

Cavaliers 2002 is probably still my favorite show of all time. I truly believe it is the best balance between music and visual that we've ever seen in drum corps. Both parts of the show are truly outstanding on their own right, but what makes the show even better than the sum of its parts is the fact that both the music and the visual are totally in sync, as well. They truly complement each other, from beginning to end, creating a complete package. "Complete package" is something of a cliche, but something I love about this show is the fact that it feels like on entire piece, the same composition from the opening line to the closing chord.

One of the biggest reasons for that is something that hasn't been mentioned yet: the transitions were flawless. Each idea is connected so well that there is no let-up at all. This gives the show a momentum that I feel every time I listen to it. Not everyone likes the show, and that's okay. No show will ever be universally loved. I don't care for Crown 2008, most of us have heard from people who don't care for Star 1993, and I've heard from some on this board who don't care for Madison 1995. As for me, though, I love the energy, execution and emotion that I feel every time I listen to Cavaliers 2002. I don't know how you could not get excited when you listen to the pure, triumphant statement of the melody as it rings out in the biggest hits of the opener, or during the entire closer when the momentum built up during the entire show comes together in a wash of sound and fury.

I completely and totally agree

Yeah, Matt pretty much rocks with everything he posts. I don't like Cavies 02 much, but well-articulated posts like his make me understand why so many people do.

Anyway, my favorite part of Cavies 02 is the ballad. I love the simplicity of the guard work and how it perfectly complements the music.

Just watch the show with an analytic mind, and think ensemble. Maybe the show was difficult for some individuals; every show is. But how often is the entire corps performing as an ensemble? The toughest drill was when the hornline wasn't playing and some of the toughest playing was when the hornline wasn't marching.

To cherry pick a point and then retreat away, for what show isn't this true? I would say that if your hornline is jazz running during the hardest horn part, then it is about the time that the design staff should be ashamed. The fact of the matter is that the parts where they were not playing, the marching is fairly beastly and when they were standing still, the hornline was fairly beastly.

the show was designed to be performed perfectly by stripping the demand. it was written to the sheets, and to that end, it was a championship show.

How someone can look at that show and say it wasn't difficult is beyond me. Even if you don't like the show, I still don't get this point of view.

To cherry pick a point and then retreat away, for what show isn't this true? I would say that if your hornline is jazz running during the hardest horn part, then it is about the time that the design staff should be ashamed. The fact of the matter is that the parts where they were not playing, the marching is fairly beastly and when they were standing still, the hornline was fairly beastly.

This is why I said most of the hard playing was while standing still. If you look at other championship shows (such as '05 Cadets, '08 Phantom, '91 Star of Indiana especially) much, if not all of the hardest music was while on the move (i.e. the "mello circles" in '91 Star: jazz running in circles at ~190 bpm while playing triplet runs that jump partials). '02 Cavaliers just doesn't have this.