Cavaliers 2002

I thought for total show concept, 2006 was better. But maybe it wasn't esoteric enough to meet our snobby standards.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the stands that night in Madison, I was prepared to poopoo the show. I had established a love of The Cadets by then, and must admit I was annoyed that it felt like everyone was suddenly a Cavies fan, out of nowhere (whether it was true or not, it was how I felt at the time...and I was 19 years old :-p ). I remember making a joke to the guy next to me about where all these Cavies flags came from. Anyway, by the end of the show, I nodded and said, yeah ok, that was pretty good eh? I remember specifically hearing that wonderful ensemble sound during the line-forms-box-from-left-to-right part. The show grew on me as the years have gone by. I still don't like the 'fight club' stuff; but, I pretty much do love the rest of the show. I can even listen to it by itself!

Mike I dont care if they played quarters. at finals I expect them to be clean. I listen to the 92 drum break, fuzz galore, and dont get mad, cause at least they were ramming. but to blow 8th notes at finals? I'm sorry, you dont deserve 19+ for yur number.

Hmm, that makes me curious...

So if you were a DCI percussion judge that night, and those three seconds in the show convinced you that you couldn't go above a 19 in drums, I'm wondering what number you would have given them. Keeping in mind that you are a professional judge, you need to adhere to the criteria on the sheets, and you must evaluate the entire eleven plus minutes of percussion performance from the battery and pit, and taking into account that after those three seconds in the show, the highest number you would give them would be an 18.9, what would your overall number have been at the end of the show? Is it still in the 18's? Does it drop into the 17's? Be honest.

Personally, I've always thought this show was a tad over-rated.

Does nothing for me musically outside of the horns having good tone.

Noticeable ticks in drums and guard. I think the score was more a product of everybody else lacking. Not perfection.

Best way to watch this show: Hit the mute button and enjoy.

While I enjoy 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, and 2007 much more, there was just something about that 2002 show. It had the goods and delivered....almost untouchable. Everything that was there was to the extreme, almost a bit sterile and unembraceable, but totally worthy of the praise. It was almost too perfect, too well written, and just seemed to lack a bit of emotion, for me.

Geoffrey

While I enjoy 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, and 2007 much more, there was just something about that 2002 show. It had the goods and delivered....almost untouchable. Everything that was there was to the extreme, almost a bit sterile and unembraceable, but totally worthy of the praise. It was almost too perfect, too well written, and just seemed to lack a bit of emotion, for me.

Geoffrey

Reading your description, one show immediately comes to mind as meeting that description:

1988 Blue Devils

That show was ..... the first time I saw it I thought, who can beat this? After a couple more viewings, it started to seem, too perfect? Too neat, clean and wrapped up in a tight package. Not enough room to grow, and in the end, got caught. My impression anyway.

Hmm, that makes me curious...

So if you were a DCI percussion judge that night, and those three seconds in the show convinced you that you couldn't go above a 19 in drums, I'm wondering what number you would have given them. Keeping in mind that you are a professional judge, you need to adhere to the criteria on the sheets, and you must evaluate the entire eleven plus minutes of percussion performance from the battery and pit, and taking into account that after those three seconds in the show, the highest number you would give them would be an 18.9, what would your overall number have been at the end of the show? Is it still in the 18's? Does it drop into the 17's? Be honest.

pit was box 5, hands down. battery...high 3. they moved their ##### off, which helps, but they never really tried anything all that demanding, and when they did they stood still. appreciate all the body work, but again, the parts with it were easy. given that a 19 should reflect a solid ensemble, no they didnt deserve it. i'd go maybe 9.4 for demand based on the pit and the physical demands, but no higher than 9.2 for performance based on the battery. it was more than just the tick in the drum break. there were stupid mistakes all night out there.

that said...2 days earlier, maybe a 19 because the battery got worse as the week went on.

Probably my favorite show of all time. The difficulty of the show was amazing and they pulled it off. That hornline was probably the best I've ever seen from the cavies

There are many reasons why I feel like I should laugh at this.

Probably my favorite show of all time. The difficulty of the show was amazing and they pulled it off. That hornline was probably the best I've ever seen from the cavies

they were clearly the champions that year -- the execution was simply incredible, but that show was in no way "difficult," in my opinion.

the biggest effect the hornline had came when they weren't even playing. when they were playing, they weren't marching anything difficult, and when they were marching something difficult, they weren't playing.

from an ensemble standpoint, watch the show and see how many times the horns + drums + pit are playing simultaneously while the horns and drums are marching. it isn't many.

the show was designed to be performed perfectly by stripping the demand. it was written to the sheets, and to that end, it was a championship show.

There are many reasons why I feel like I should laugh at this.

Most of which are not valid. When it comes to demand, I think the only people who would have a strong grasp of the demand of a show in any particular year are the members who performed it and the staff who cleaned it.