Cavaliers 2002

I agree that 2002 Cavies was one of the BEST Cavies' show of all time, but I don't believe they should have gotten the score they received. There was dirt all over the place.

Agreed. This show probably would have won any other year it was performed, but I don't think it would have broken 99 in most years. The scores are too much based on all of the other corps, and 2002 overall was just an off year (IMO) for all the drum corps. Nothing really stands out too much, except maybe Sound Shape and Color.

As for 2004, regardless of some visual dirt, they still achieved more than anyone else. Thus, the score.

I still say Devils should have won in 04. 007 was cool, but Summer Train is one of my favorite Devils' shows of all time!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for dirty championship shows, you should check out some others, like 1993 Cadets, 1985 Cadets, 1988 Scouts, 1999 Blue Devils. All great shows that should have won, yet are imperfect in ways.

And the 92 and 95 Cavaliers, and lots of others, of course.

No championship corps "deserves" the score they received if you really think about it. Name a championship show, plenty of dirt can be found.

What that corps did deserve IMO was the spread between itself and its competitors. Nobody even came close that night. Or that whole season for that matter. We knew during critique at Indy that year that the season was essentially over.

Cadets 2005 didn't have a lot of dirt.

You know, you should learn how the judging system works. It is very similar to the NFL QB ratings. A "perfect" rating is 158.3, yet they can have incompletions.

As for 2004, regardless of some visual dirt, they still achieved more than anyone else. Thus, the score.

Bitter?

As for dirty championship shows, you should check out some others, like 1993 Cadets, 1985 Cadets, 1988 Scouts, 1999 Blue Devils. All great shows that should have won, yet are imperfect in ways.

That brings up an interesting hypothetical....

Which system is more baffling?

1. DCI judging

2. The BCS

3. The NFL QB rating

I contend that #3 is right up their with Quantum Mechanics, The 2008 Tax Code, and Women. Comparing DCI judging to QB rating really puts it in perspective to me.

:rolleyes:

No championship corps "deserves" the score they received if you really think about it. Name a championship show, plenty of dirt can be found.

What that corps did deserve IMO was the spread between itself and its competitors. Nobody even came close that night. Or that whole season for that matter. We knew during critique at Indy that year that the season was essentially over.

That statement may have held some truth in the days of the tick sysyem but I don't think it applies to todays drum corps.

No, no, no. Bitter? I aged out before 2002, and was instructing another drum corps by then. I wouldn't care if it were the General Butler Vagabond, it was way too dirty to be a championship show IMO. But I know dirt when I see it, and 04 Cav's was dirty. You don't have to agree, I don't have to be bitter just because I think this, its just my freakin' opinion. Chill out haters, its a message board, not an accusation board. Oh, and how could you mention 99 Blue Devils before 99 Vanguard. I love both shows, but I watched each one like five times back to back the other day, and Blue Devils had Vanguard handled in execution, visual and music. Here's a couple more: '98 Cadets- Listen to the hornline at the first big hit, and realize that that hornline was so bad, more than half the show had to be cut to small ensembles. '96 Devils- multiple phasing problems through-out, both hornline to hornline and hornline to drumline. '95 Cavies- Solid first 2/3 of the show, but the whole last 3:00 was how do you say, yukky poo poo. Honestly, to get back to 2002, that show was one of the cleaner finals shows we've had in the last 10 or so years. But I stand by the color guard thing. Peace out.

There visual package was just amazing. I show my students that, and they are blown away at what they do. Great marchers, and phenomenal drill writers.

Brass sounded great. Balance and blend also blew me away.

Brass book and dynamics however weren't anywhere near the level of the drill.

There visual package was just amazing. I show my students that, and they are blown away at what they do. Great marchers, and phenomenal drill writers.

Brass sounded great. Balance and blend also blew me away.

Brass book and dynamics however weren't anywhere near the level of the drill.

ditto.

'98 Cadets- Listen to the hornline at the first big hit, and realize that that hornline was so bad, more than half the show had to be cut to small ensembles.

I for one found that hornline to be rather good. Definitely not the best out there, but by no means "so bad." And more than half of that show is full ensemble. True, there are more than your average amount of small ensembles, but they don't make up half the show.

And let's not forget, they won! People still remember that show.