Empire Statesmen

What if Empire decided to wear hats. Not saying it will happen, but if they decided to, what Hat do you think would look the best on them. For me, I think a bowler hat would look great with the uniform. I think hats would make us visually look better, since we would be more uniform. Empire has a tradition of no hats so i thought this would be fun :rolleyes:

bowler_hat.jpg

Edited by HighBrass08

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kenny

that is the one argument that Vince and I had from day one till the day he died... It is my belief that for a number of reasons... especially in the 80's when they weren't so clean... that headgear and "just a touch" of the conformism it brings would have given them just a little more ... and yes... a little more score...

obviously, once they got to the point that they were winning consistantly this was not a huge problem...

It is still my belief that the drum corps image of cleanliness and "oneness" is better presented with headgear... as for what headgear to wear... that's one of the problems.. I can't imagine... it would have to be an image makeover... and I'm quite certain that won't happen...

truth is... you can't beat a shako ... and with just a little dress down, you might be surprised how good a carolina crown type shako would look...

Forgive me Vince...

I never thought this question would come up. I look at it this way, The Empire Statesmen's identity is NO HEAD GEAR, so I feel that they should stick with their guns and their tradition and go hatless. I think David has carried on what his father would have wanted and has done a great job!

Was there ever a rule that corps had to wear or at least have headgear as part of the uniform?

Seem to remember the argument when Matadors came out with the Rhode Island Red/Spanish Bedclothes unis around. Mats had sombreros(sp) but did not have them on their head, they were on the members shoulders held up by the cord. Remember hearing something like: "Not legal. not wearing lids...". "Yeah but.. have headwear.... just not on their heads".

And seeing ES first few times without the lids in their early years was really a WTF.... :rolleyes:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

What if Empire decided to wear hats. Not saying it will happen, but if they decided to, what Hat do you think would look the best on them. For me, I think a bowler hat would look great with the uniform. I think hats would make us visually look better, since we would be more uniform. Empire has a tradition of no hats so i thought this would be fun :rolleyes:

bowler_hat.jpg

Kris, you specifically told me yesterday that your dad and Tommy told you how to stay out of trouble on here. Young man you have opend Pandora's Box on this one. Hats, Hats .... oh boy!

Dave

Let me take Kris for a summer, he will come back a new young man. Running laps has an everlasting effect on today's youth.

DA

Vince always said that the people need to see the performers faces, expressions etc. The crowd always loved to see us smile as we trooped the stands and waved, now that's entertainment!

Now, I see that a lot of the corps are doing the same (even though they complained about it in the past).

Go Statesmen, you entertain like no other.

if you want to see what ray is talking about come to the statesmen camp in 8 days at mercy high school !!