1976 Mayflower Circuit Championship

The CYO's ran long because of the band classes.

Let's not forget Cawley Stadium in Lowell.

An unsung drum corps venue that served us well back in the day.

Russ - many of us spent some time at Dilboy Field in Somerville :tongue: It had plenty of parking, the area had great access, and the corps/bands/drill teams could line up in single file under the stands before going on.

Kelly Field in Hyde Park was used, East Boston Stadium, and Everett Stadium.

An older venue - that literally became a dangerous area - was White Stadium in Jamaica Plain - near the Franklin Park Zoo.

Russ - many of us spent some time at Dilboy Field in Somerville :tongue: It had plenty of parking, the area had great access, and the corps/bands/drill teams could line up in single file under the stands before going on.

Kelly Field in Hyde Park was used, East Boston Stadium, and Everett Stadium.

An older venue - that literally became a dangerous area - was White Stadium in Jamaica Plain - near the Franklin Park Zoo.

Herd stadium in beverly even our home show in Danvers

of course Manning Bowl ( you felt like you were marching uphill from the backfield LOL

Jim,

I remember Dilboy but we always seemed to march there later in the summer when it became a bit of a dustbowl.

East Boston was fun to march because you never knew when a plane was going to kill your GE score.

I never really warmed up to Everett. Too much to do outside of the stadium...

I was there the day of the finals and remember all those corps, or, should I say two days! I remember it fondly. What a long show. I remember it being hot around mid day and by afternoon there was a chill in the air, signaling another melancholy end to a drum corps season. But where was it? Bedford? Lowell? Wilmington? I can't recall.

It was Cawley Stadium In Lowell.

• 2 years later...

Let's also remember that CYO also ran a marching band circuit, and drill teams, putting even more competition out there. The CYO Nationals! The CYO Music Festival after Labor Day at White Stadium or Dilby. Packed houses.

Think of the vast numbers of kids involved back then. All seven of us kids in my family marched in drum corps or CYO bands. Heck, my father drove a bus and an equipment truck for years.

TWO weekly newspaper columns that exhaustively covered the local "marching music" scene - Herb Cole and Bill Duncliff.

Compare those numbers of kids deeply involved in music and marching, of the broad array of weekly spectator opportunities to the current situation. ... sad.

• Like 1

"Drums in the NIght" was held at the Bernardian Bowl in Fitchburg - a nice venue for a summer's evening show.

Everett Stadium was pretty good acoustically.

Yes

cawley-pic.jpg

Love that stadium, pine trees and skating rink in the back ground.

I think Anaheim Kingsmen won 74 World Open there without winning a caption.

Dont't leave out the drill teams. All three circuits - EMass, CYO, and Mayflower - had two classes of all-girl drill teams. CYO also featured two classes of Bands. And there were always the exhibition units that didn't seem to fall into any class - like St. Joseph's Bagpipe Band of Quincy, which was a staple at many CYO shows.

And, way back in the mists of time, both CYO and EMass ran baton twirling contests during their shows. These weren't on the field, of course, but were usually off in a corner somewhere and ran while the various corps' shows were going on. They were announced during retreat, however, just as were the corps results.