Drum Majors

because it would be stupid to turn around and scream "YES!" when asked "Drum Major, is your corps ready?"?

Actually, I think a "Yes!" sign held up soberly would be a decent VK salute.

Note-to-self: Must request that whomever the VK drum major kills in their show this year hold up a Wile E. Coyote "Yikes!" sign immediately beforehand.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

inb4close

My HS Band has always had a history of absurd and ridiculous salutes. The one this year took 8 seconds (we clocked it, so we're not joking) to do from start to finish and took forever to learn. There were about 10 movements in it.

Myself, I've always been partial to the simpler ones. My favorite was Cavies (1995, not sure if they keep the same salute for multiple years or anything), where he did the fist-point-punch with his left arm, then did the salute, then did an arm curl. Simplicity is golden.

Why take away? The trend is to be MORE like HS bands, not less.

Go for grandeur! Confetti, party popper thingies, 5 drum majors with ripple salute choreography.

And why conduct America/O Canada with JUST a glow stick whilst making light saber noises when he could actually conduct with a real light saber!

Why take away? The trend is to be MORE like HS bands, not less.

Go for grandeur! Confetti, party popper thingies, 5 drum majors with ripple salute choreography.

And why conduct America/O Canada with JUST a glow stick whilst making light saber noises when he could actually conduct with a real light saber!

Because if they used a real lightsaber, ticket prices would have to go up even more! :thumbdown:

inb4close

My HS Band has always had a history of absurd and ridiculous salutes. The one this year took 8 seconds (we clocked it, so we're not joking) to do from start to finish and took forever to learn. There were about 10 movements in it.

Myself, I've always been partial to the simpler ones. My favorite was Cavies (1995, not sure if they keep the same salute for multiple years or anything), where he did the fist-point-punch with his left arm, then did the salute, then did an arm curl. Simplicity is golden.

One year when I was in high school, our field commanders had a different salute for every award we won (at some competitions it was quite a few), and each one of them was several seconds long.

Drum corps salutes are pretty tame as far as I'm concerned.

I have no problem with salutes. The stupid smiles we get after the DMs remove their cover is what I hate. One thing I like about SCV is how their DMs maintain their dignity after saluting.

OBTW . . . Why did some in this thread feel the need to put "in before the close" in their post? Do you really think this thread would be closed? Far more frivolous threads have flourished. Also, if you think about it, you don't actually need to write "in brfore the close" in your post.

all i have to say is

...really?

in b4 close

And oh yeah, no more batons.
Oh heck no! Nothing says "we're getting ready to kick some major ###" more than seeing the Phantom DM bring out that baton!

they should wear sandals a swimsuit Hawaiian shirt with a straw hat with a lounge chair... in before close?

but then they would get confused for the person who mans the audio mixer, duh :thumbdown: