National Squad....... Which Corps first?

GABA

Raises hand...that's really what we called it too.

I'd never heard of Honour Guard either until 3 years ago....and being Canadian it was always called the National's Section. That would be during my "dino" days

of 1964 to 1978.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree with that at all. If a corps wanted to establish an honor guard, more power to them. I was assuming...and probably incorrectly, that the thrust of some in this thread (OP aside, because in rereading his post it doesn't seem this way) was more along a DCI mandate.

My other comment was in reaction to this....

It's only important if it exists for the right reason. I marched back when color presentations were basically mandatory, or at least something all corps did. If everybody had to do one, and present the colors, how much is that showing a patriotic idea, or is it just window dressing, performed because we had to?

It was pretty much a rote thing through the VFW/AL era, IMO. Shows were pretty much set pieces, inc the color pre. As a kid of 15 to 18 was I performing with patriotic fervor? No. It was just another part of the show. Heck, I think in my GSC corps in either 68 or 69 our color pre was to Danny Boy!

I tend to think there is a lot of rose colored views of the past here; just MHO. I loved my era, but I try not to turn what we did and why into mythological proportions. We were learning music and drill...to perform as well as we could...just like today.

I'm probably not saying that well, but I just see some "legacy" folks who try and make out that they were more...not even sure more what...but more of something...than members today. Like they had more meaning in their corps lives.

Yep... I was an eighties corps kid, and there was no American Section in my day. Growing up, I always personally thought it was important to stand and sing the anthem, say the pledge, etc., and even during my formative years, I found it odd if I'd occasionally observe someone that chose not to. However, I'm a USMC veteran and former member of one of the last three Marine Drum & Bugle Corps (Albany, GA - 1985 to 1989) before they were all folded into one, the "Commandant's Own."

Through that experience I learned that, generally speaking, this country does have a heart and soul for patriotism and the ideals of its Founding Fathers. When spectators viewed our performances, they were reminded of our nation's history and why it is special to live in this country and call themselves Americans. I'm thankful that I was reminded of that fact as well, every time I wore that uniform and helped to instill pride in anyone who believed in the promise of liberty and freedom. So, I see this issue through a different lens.

For the record, I was not advocating an actual "flag presentation" segment for each and every corps (aka VFW days), but more so the presence of an American Section for any corps that chose to have one.

Great discussion folks!

Well, we certainly agree that "questioning the country and some of the leaders' decisions" is not necessarily a reflection of one's patriotism.

Aside from that, I'm curious if others find the singing of the National Anthem by a 5th grader before a sporting event, and the Stars & Stripes hanging in the outfield to be a distraction? What about all of the "window dressing" surrounding our most recent Presidential Inauguration? Some felt that that event was "obviously important" to the tune of $$$$$$$$$.

Again, us "corps minded folks" here on DCP seem to find ways to disagree on things that at one time in our society were thought to be proper, a part of the fabric of our nation, and a matter of civic responsibility, or dare I say, that button-pushing word... "tradition." Do they debate these kinds of things on baseball planet, jazz planet, or fly-fishing planet? IMO, if it doesn't hurt some, yet benefits others, then let it be.

As far as a "mediocre" performance from an honor guard, or a cub scout troop carrying the colors out, I think this debate is centering more on a reflection of the spectator's disposition on love for country, what that exactly means, and how that love should be expressed in a public venue.

Outside of the competitive performance itself, what ideas might others have on how such honor and love for country can be expressed in our activity, particularly in a way that would not be viewed as a mandate or distraction?

Oh...let me have an opportunity at this. The National Anthem has become a "American Idol" wannabee contest. I hate hearing it now. I also was so happy last year when the Diamondbacks finally gave up on "God, Bless America" as their 7th inning stretch song. I refused to stand up for that nationalistic crap. I had other patrons attempt to scold me for not standing up and not taking my hat off. I even saw folks with their hands over their hearts....blah blah blah. IT'S NOT THE NATIONAL ANTHEM, IT'S JUST A SONG!

Anyway, who are we to demand that God bless anything, let alone our nation. God will do what God wants to do thank you. He needn't take advice from us (or Kate Smith).

So, yeah...I'm not a big fan of the mass demonstration of nationalism being confused with patriotism. Also, when kids didn't have a choice to go to war...the argument was certainly stronger. With an all volunteer military, it lessens to commitment many in this country have toward the military. They just slap on the yellow magnetic ribbons on the back of their SUVs and say they support the troops. I bought a yellow magnetic ribbon too. Mine says, "I Support the Guy Who Makes These Yellow Ribbons."

Oh...let me have an opportunity at this. The National Anthem has become a "American Idol" wannabee contest. I hate hearing it now. I also was so happy last year when the Diamondbacks finally gave up on "God, Bless America" as their 7th inning stretch song. I refused to stand up for that nationalistic crap. I had other patrons attempt to scold me for not standing up and not taking my hat off. I even saw folks with their hands over their hearts....blah blah blah. IT'S NOT THE NATIONAL ANTHEM, IT'S JUST A SONG!

Anyway, who are we to demand that God bless anything, let alone our nation. God will do what God wants to do thank you. He needn't take advice from us (or Kate Smith).

So, yeah...I'm not a big fan of the mass demonstration of nationalism being confused with patriotism. Also, when kids didn't have a choice to go to war...the argument was certainly stronger. With an all volunteer military, it lessens to commitment many in this country have toward the military. They just slap on the yellow magnetic ribbons on the back of their SUVs and say they support the troops. I bought a yellow magnetic ribbon too. Mine says, "I Support the Guy Who Makes These Yellow Ribbons."

Man, has this thread been highjacked. There is nothing at all here in these remarks that has anything at all to do with Drum Corps and the OP's thread question that was posed.

Wow.

I get why people's hearts swell when they have pride in their country, but I don't get why one would be so antagonistic or even hostile about the issue just because they don't share that same depth of feeling of those that choose to stand and sing, etc.

I really believe that it is o.k. for one to show or not show love for country... America gives people an opportunity to express themselves as they wish, but this comes off as disrespectful. If one doesn't want to show respect in ways that are considered traditional, fine, but why show disrespect? Why? Some people really believe in those things that you've expressed hate for. Why lessen their experience? At the same time, they've got no business getting into your business if you choose not to stand, sing, etc.

You certainly have the right my friend to your views and to openly express your opinions and feelings, and it appears that there's little that can be accomplished from this point forward since I don't sense any middle ground coming from your post. You've made your point very well.

I'd still be interested in your (or anyone else's) ideas of how one may show love for country at public venues. You clearly "hate" how others go about doing it. What, if anything would you prefer? I'm really interested in knowing, because if there's a way to accomplish it so that everyone gets what they want out of it, I'd be all for that, but maybe it's not possible. Hate is a petty strong word.

Back on topic...

I hope corps go out of their way to make unique expressions of love for country, both on and off the field. Thank you to all those that do so.

It would really give you chills to know the background of this picture and the story behind it. Look closely at the two guard members with the flags. Notice anything missing? That's right, there is no weapon bearer to guard the colors. No rifle, no saber, no sidearm. Now, look over on the sideline, about the 35, on the left side. Why, it's the Troopers' Drum Major! He decided to stay out there, even after repeated attempts by the PA announcer to dismiss him. And why did he do that? Because he was in his University's ROTC program (and is currently serving in our military), and knew that the colors could not be left unguarded. He made the decision to remain on the field due to the ignorance of the corps' management teams that sent those colors out there.

Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing an honor guard. But do it right or not at all.

Semantics. They're both right, but a lot of us did call it the American Squad or Section.

It's largely lost to the general public, too. Next time you're at a Fourth of July, Memorial Day or Veterans' Day Parade, watch and see how many people stand when the Flag goes by. It's virtually non-existant anymore for the population of this country to respect the Flag.

Garry in Vegas

Ah, the color presentation ... and we called it the American Flag Section.

COLORPRESSTRITAS1971.jpg

As Garry says: Do it right or don't do it at all.

Puppet

Sir, you have diminished the validity of everything else you've posted on DCP by this rant. You are entitled to your opinions, but the "nationalistic crap" reference was over the top. You take great pleasure in not removing your hat during the national anthem (perhaps church as well?). These are signs of respect not only to the nation we live in, but to your fellow citizens who gave their lives so that you can freely express your opinions.

I will now excerise my right to free speech. Your comments are insulting and narrow-minded, and you have hijacked this thread for your own enjoyment.

Back to the topic at hand, many times in life things that are old become new again. "Retro" is in, and if a drum corps wanted to field an American section, good for them. The choice is theirs.

If you are fielding a corps with a multi-million dollar budget and can't afford an American flag and 2 sidearms to park in the corner of the field....SHAME ON YOU!! KUDOS to the Troopers and their fine drum major...they are the epitomy of class!!

Edited by VOReason

If you are fielding a corps with a multi-million dollar budget and can't afford an American flag and 2 sidearms to park in the corner of the field....SHAME ON YOU!! KUDOS to the Troopers and their fine drum major...they are the epitomy of class!!

Has anyone actually said it was because the corps couldn't afford it or are you just making up stupid things to argue against for the sake of arguing?

Edited by dbc03