What bugs you - senior edition

So, this is a thread in the DCI forum. I find it amusing that so many people say DCI is better than ever, yet the what bugs you thread has 23 pages and counting.

I figured I'd post it here to see what comes of it. I'll start, but it's honestly been a stretch to think of things.

This is a great thread......

Agree with almost every respondent so far except perhaps the reply from Minn Brass. member/fan. I think MB are terrific and present a very talented, demanding show.......but if it doesn't excite the crowd, its not the crowd's fault.

It bugs me every time I see an email thread or poem about 'drum corps isn't what it used to be'. Neither is my '56' Plymouth Belvedere, and thank goodness. I marched in the 'used to be' era, and I also marched last in 2006. DCA is way better than it ever was in terms of talent, instrumentation, demand and quality. And that is not to take anything away from some of those fabulous corps of those past eras that I still listen to!

It bugs me that top eastern corps can't or won't go west (or even mid-west),....... and I'm an easterner.

Field warm-ups. Should only be allowed or necessary if its very cold or monsoon conditions like 2006 Finals.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What bugs me? Warm beer... :thumbup:

thats just criminal

Not every Empire soloist has been a pit dweller. I marched every set that I didnt come out for a staged solo. Jim Steele does the same thing presently. We both were caption heads that ran the brass line.

And Jeff Gibbens marched almost the whole show last year.

You ever see Joey march? Leave it alone, believe me. And Ritchee's last year of marching was in the early eighties I think.

DA

They wanted to HIDE you. Joe

I suppose what bothers me most is, drum corps shows can no longer be priced to meet the expectations of unassuming first time viewers. Really, how likely is your neighbor to attend a drum corps show at any amount higher than $10?

We ALL know the product is worth more than that, but there has to be a better way to easily prove it.

excellent post,...............and an area to ponder............

How 'bout this one -

the only GUARANTEED good seats to enjoy our activity are those between the twenties, and that causes a problem at most every venue we play.

Any seats beyond the twenty should be priced at $10, or less.

:thumbup:

(let's get it all out)

I have marched with him. Don't let him fool you, he can do it but the corps and activity makes it OK to be a pit player. Not my definition of a marching activity.

this is a harsh slap back to reality,..................come to think of it,...............I've known a lot of bad marchers,..........who have worked their butts off to get better,............. :thumbup:

How 'bout this one -

the only GUARANTEED good seats to enjoy our activity are those between the twenties, and that causes a problem at most every venue we play.

Any seats beyond the twenty should be priced at $10, or less.

(let's get it all out)

we actually tried a $5.00 seat outside the 20's in 2003,..................sold about 100 of them,.............most slid in as the show went on,...............we also sold sponsorships to advertizers to send youth groups, seniors, etc,..............worked pretty well,.........the hardest part was actually getting the groups to attend...........

I hear 'ya, Gary.

If we CAN convince folks to give our product a shot, yet sit them outside the twenty, they really ARE NOT seeing our product in its best light. Geez, I spent most of my life supporting drum corps, yet I have little interest in sitting outside the twenty!

Now, Gary, get back to work! Architects are the hardest working people on the planet. No?

a corps undecided to become either a competitive DCA corps or a competitive DCA alumni corps.

not enough DCA Midwest shows.

not enough DCA Midwest corps.

members of other corps talking loudly and dissing the corps on the field. (proudly wearing their corps jackets

while doing so....not very smart)

while a corps is entering the field someone yelling "This is my hot dog corps." and actually getting the dawg.