What bugs you - senior edition

This discussion is getting fun. Thanks, Adam!

Right you are, Brigscontrachik0, I never got that whole "staff in the audience" thing. I don't think I've ever attended a Broadway show, only to have the Costume Designer, Lighting Director, screaming approval from the back.

:thumbup:

LOL :thumbup:

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What bugs me the MOST? No doubt its the soloists who do not participate in the marching portion of the show. Its not just Empire, there are others. I LOVE watching the statesmen. One of the most entertaining corps in the circuit, but it really irks me when there are 2-4 people who just stand up front and do nothing except solo. Why should THOSE people get the same respect as a corps like Reading whose soloists have to march 9 minutes and THEN play a lush, beautiful solo? I don't get it. Doesn't make any sense to me and personally, it detracts from the show.

In my case I also instruct, so it's not feasible for me to march drill(although I am marching 10 counts this year, which is 2 more counts than I marched in 2002! ). But seriously, the Renegades have been guilty of this in past years. We're turning over a new leaf this year! All of the soloists will be either marching or a member of the pit, when they aren't soloing(with me as the exception). But I'm short, so I can hide behind just about anything! :thumbup:

Not every Empire soloist has been a pit dweller. I marched every set that I didnt come out for a staged solo. Jim Steele does the same thing presently. We both were caption heads that ran the brass line.

And Jeff Gibbens marched almost the whole show last year.

You ever see Joey march? Leave it alone, believe me. And Ritchee's last year of marching was in the early eighties I think.

DA

I was just about to note this Donny.

Soloists all over the circuit who marched instead of pulling up a lawn chair in the pit:

Donny Allen - Empire

Jimmy Steele - Empire

Frank Ponzo - Cabs

Curt Hawkins - Cabs

Jamie Coolbaugh - Bush

Paul Beaumont - Bush

Walt Street - Bucs

and many more that I have missed.

The argument to park in the pit is old and tired. Joey Pero is great but he is just a ringer, in my opinion. The names above and the many others in the same group are the real drum corps soloists, in my opinion. These guys proved again and again that it can be done, so the excuses not to just do not fly with me.

Not every Empire soloist has been a pit dweller. I marched every set that I didnt come out for a staged solo. Jim Steele does the same thing presently. We both were caption heads that ran the brass line.

You ever see Joey march? Leave it alone, believe me. And Ritchee's last year of marching was in the early eighties I think.

DA

A question for you Donny. How were you able to instruct if you were marching in the drill during rehearsals? I have to be up in the box running the music ensemble rehearsal.

I'm glad to see there are people who agree with me. I used Empire and Bucs as examples, but its not limited to those two. All i'im sayin is that these "part time" members do more to detract from MY personal enjoyment than add to it.

Joey Pero et al are great musicians. I'd just rather go see them with a Jazz band or a concert band. Not a drum corps.

By the way, I have GREAT respect for all those soloists that Dave Linton mentioned (and others) who DO march and play.

Just MY $0.02

Edited by surfbest

You ever see Joey march?

Yes, I have.

Trust Donny folks.................it's NOT a pretty sight!!

:thumbup:

I was just about to note this Donny.

Soloists all over the circuit who marched instead of pulling up a lawn chair in the pit:

Donny Allen - Empire

Jimmy Steele - Empire

Frank Ponzo - Cabs

Curt Hawkins - Cabs

Jamie Coolbaugh - Bush

Paul Beaumont - Bush

Walt Street - Bucs

and many more that I have missed.

The argument to park in the pit is old and tired. Joey Pero is great but he is just a ringer, in my opinion. The names above and the many others in the same group are the real drum corps soloists, in my opinion. These guys proved again and again that it can be done, so the excuses not to just do not fly with me.

I'll pose the same question to you Dave, as well. How can I run music ensemble rehearsal and march at the same time?

DA

I have seen Joey march. :thumbup::thumbup: