What bugs you - senior edition

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That corps with less than 35 performing musicians are NOT competitive, but corps with soloists (aka individuals) are.

That, AND make that number 40 or 45 and 50% of the competitive base IS ELIMINATED from competition. Can you really call "THAT" a "CHAMPIONSHIP"? Yes, we're number 1 of 3 corps allowed to compete. Take that you 50 corps that weren't even ALLOWED to compete.

don't forget not being able to have a picture taken due toe the rain Shadow. we dont want all of your list left out :thumbup:

Yeah I remember that - you guys used to wear them while watching our victory concerts.

[/quote

I never watched your victory concerts. I'd have been back at the bus havin a cold one rather than listening to the Curley Shuffle..... oh, a wise guy, whoop whoop whoop nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Edited by Borg Bari

What if soloists marched and played with props? Like when they're not soloing, they could be moving giant props around the field. This would settle both arguments. Put them to work when they're not soloing. There you go. Problem solved. Next thread.

Oooooh. Why not have giant props of past DCA soloists. For example, a Curt Hawkins prop. A Frank Ponzo Prop. A Joey Pero prop. And other members of the corps could move them around... on the field . And that would really satisfy the critics. There you go. The soloists could play while effigies of them are moved around the field. Perfect !!!

That is one of the funniest friggin things I have ever read on DCP!!! :thumbup:

OK.....I have heard all the arguments about "pit" soloists. Here is my take on them.....

First of all, when I wasn't playing solos, I was marching my azz off. 1986 was the first year I was actually a soloist with the Sunrisers in their "Fiddler on the Roof" production. All of my solos were played IN LINE, while either marching, or standing still within my drill set. And to this day, it was one of the hardest drills I have ever marched. Granted....I was alot younger and thinner back then, and in better shape.

There were also times where I would come out of line, wherever I was on the field, walk to the front sideline and play my solos. Then I would turn around, find wherever my drill set was and walk back in....even if it was behind the back hash.

There were also times that the drill was written with the soloist in mind. I would pull out of my drill set to a specific spot on the field, play my solo there, and the drill would meet me in that set.

Alas.....there were also times where I would play solo after solo, and it would be reduntant for me to go back and forth to the front sidline, so the drill writer kept me out for extended periods of time as well. But back then, it was not known as a "pit" soloist. I still did drill, just not as much. I was a member of the corps, and the corps ALWAYS came first!

My point is, anything can work, and anything is possible.

This being said, I do not like the idea of just having "pit" soloists. It does bother me that if I could do it, then so should other soloists. BUT....if there was the option to see Empire WITH Joey or Ritchie, as opposed to seeing Empire without them?? Well.....(and not taking anything away from the kid Jamie (I think that is his name).....because he is one of the finest soloist in DCA that NEVER gets the credit he deserves or the recognition)....it just would not be the same. When I am in the stands watching a show now.....yeah...I can criticize all I want, but the fact still remains that I want to be entertained just as much as the next person. And if that means Joey and Ritchie in the pit, wailing away with their never ending talent.....then so be it. I'll pay my money to see it ANY DAY, no questions asked!!!

This is just an opinion from a person who has paid his dues in drum corps, and someone who has many years experience on this particular subject.

Carry on.......

I have no real problem with having a pitted soloist. I do think that they should not be considered for Best Soloist.

As dysfunctional as this thread has become at times it really is a great read!

I have been guilty of being one of those annoying staff members who run up and yell like a schoolgirl for their group and don't care who they are bothering. Sorry about that.....especially to that one guy in Scranton....I was really a jerk to him.

I've been better the last several years........honest I have. :thumbup:

Edited by Dennis Argul

It really bugs me, that when people don't agree with the rules, they just sit back and whine about it, do nothing to better themselves and blame their shortcomings on the organization, instead of taking a good hard look in the mirror - although I guess that sometimes can be called very "American" like too........ooops I did not just go there....

There were also times where I would come out of line, wherever I was on the field, walk to the front sideline and play my solos. Then I would turn around, find wherever my drill set was and walk back in....even if it was behind the back hash.

There were also times that the drill was written with the soloist in mind. I would pull out of my drill set to a specific spot on the field, play my solo there, and the drill would meet me in that set.

Did you have a motorized remote control cooler and lawn chair that followed you from set to set?A good drill writer can make anything happen,apparently. :thumbup: