2009 SCV Piano Performance Membership Opportunity

Well, your bias notwithstanding, why does having standards equate to intolerance?

When those standards are not really the standards; DCI now allows electronics, therefor in DCI electronics are the standard. It was said somewhere in this huge thread that the vast majority of Finalist corps are using electronics, so they ARE the standard. Any-key brass is the junior corps standard. Mic'ing the pit is the junior corps standard. Your "standards" have no bearing in the junior corps activity anymore. Your "standards" belong to an era of drum and bugle corps that no longer exists, merely because you (and others) have it in your head what you think drum corps should be. Unfortunately for you, most DCI junior corps do not share your idea of "standards."

Let's call this dumb debate what it really is:

I like drum corps MY WAY. When it's not done MY WAY it's not 'real' drum corps and it's not good. That's what a lot of you REALLY mean.

YOUR bias notwithstanding, who do you think should define what the drum corps standards are? Fans? Alumni? Drum corps directors (many of whom ARE drum corps alumni)? Board of Directors? Obviously you, as a fan/alumni, have your set of standards that do not agree with the majority of the DCI staff and corps directors (again, many of whom are dci alumni). What makes your idea of standards more valid than staff members, designers, arrangers, and corps directors?

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic looks to have run its course. If anybody would like to discuss this futher (and more civilly), please open another thread to talk about electronics. Feel free to PM any of the FST if you have any questions.

Lance