2009 SCV Piano Performance Membership Opportunity

Guest xsabers
Valves changed the sound...contras changed the sound...mellos changed the sound...multi-tenors changed the sound...timpani changed the sound....mallets changed the sound...full pits changed the sound.

..and yet Mike sings the same ol song over and over and over and over... :bla: Gee Mike, many of us would love for you to evolve (insert your own joke here) as far away from the original to the degree you want drum corps to change.

17,000 posts; one mantra...

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um...no..try a half century earlier.

Mike, you're obviously talking about something different than this poster. But you know that of course...

Valves changed the sound...contras changed the sound...mellos changed the sound...multi-tenors changed the sound...timpani changed the sound....mallets changed the sound...full pits changed the sound.

Valves added to the number of notes that a horn could play..... New horns added to the voicing...

But they still sounded like a horn.....

And just amazing to me that a guy (me) who can't tell if a corps is playing G or Bb can tell the difference between amp'en and non-amp'ed by sound only.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

true. you didnt see grounded percussion equipment until DCI did it in the band world.

The band I marched with grounded Tympani on the front of the field in 1973 and I'm sure we were not the first. I first noticed electronics on the field in the early 80's, but I'm sure they were used prior to that. I think there is a bigger issue. When I marched in HS band back in the early-mid 70's, drum corps was the leading edge. Whether that was design or execution, it was what we (bands) imitated and strove for. Even band directors ripped off complete corps show. There was no question that in the band-drum corps relationship that corps were the dominant players. Not so clear any longer. Drum corps seems to be following band in many areas, i.e. instrumentation, electronics. There is no question that corps perform at a higher level than bands (generally), but the bands seem to be the dominant player now. I'm not sure that's the fault of the corps, though. The pull of 70's/80's corps seem to drag the bands into this domain and now they dominate it. That being said, I don't not oppose the use of electronics, voice, or multi-key brass. To me, the less rules - the better. But I do miss the uniqueness of drum corps. In the quest to become more educational, drum corps has lost something. In the DCI era drum corps has philosophically gone from a competitive activity to an educational activity. To me, that was the greatest distinction between the two. When I was in band, we never discussed competition and only competed one time each year. But at the same time, in drum corps we talked of competition continually. Now, in drum corps you talk of not beating other corps, but of being the best you can be. We keep telling ourselves that we only compete against ourselves. I understand it, and may even agree with it, but we have become more like bands than we realize.

Edited by DAvery

true. you didnt see grounded percussion equipment until DCI did it in the band world.

Really? When I was a band director in the 70's I used grounded percussion instruments that were set on the sideline.

Less than an hour before this post you pointed out the change to three valves in 1990, and even prior to that the change to two valves. Since adding any valves at all is moving closer to band instruments, you proved Mike's very point.

Maybe you want to wiggle out of this by claiming that the number of valves on the horns isn't a significant issue - but then you ruined any chance of that by telling us that those in charge of DCI at the time thought differently. To them, drum corps was defined by two valves. And yet, a third valves was added anyway. Drum corps didn't die. We didn't change the name to 'brass band' or 'marching band'.

That's right - we didn't. In fact, as long as there remains a distinction in instrumentation between drum corps and marching band, all of MikeD's opining about "moving closer to band" is just that - nothing more than one man's opinion.

Obviously, none of these changes have been made with the goal of morphing drum corps into band, as the powers that be (with one exception) have never advocated such a change.

Mike, you're obviously talking about something different than this poster. But you know that of course...

No, it's not obvious...he was posting as if DCI never changed anything until 2000...hance teh "all the way back to 2000" comment he made.

..and yet Mike sings the same ol song over and over and over and over... :bla: Gee Mike, many of us would love for you to evolve (insert your own joke here) as far away from the original to the degree you want drum corps to change.

17,000 posts; one mantra...

I post what I think...why is it surprising that when a thread starts to discuss these things I would post the same sort of thing I have before? I don't see you taking anyone else to task for posting the opposing view that I have. Or is that the point...I shouldn't post my opinion if it differs from yours....is that what you are saying?

ok...I guess I should have added my own personal definitions, as I know you apply to everything you say, yet preach as gospel for the masses.

I give MHO on these topics....I don't care if you or anyone else agrees with me or not. Why is it 'preach as gospel' if I say something, yet I do not see you take people who disagree with me to task...who post opposite views ad nauseum.

Why can't we leave drum corps alone? Why do people insist on bastardizing it into something that already exists?

Why should they 'leave drum corps alone'? Your 'bastardizing' is someone elses 'improving'.