The Economy Has Tanked; Time To

One thing about WGI...the quantity of groups in each region makes it work...really forces the issue. Plus the fact that a lot of WGI is based on scholastic programs, not independent ones. The members of the various groups, guard and percussion, live local. That's not the case in DCI World Class.

I think knocking these ideas around is a good exercise, as long as it is kept positive, as this has mostly been.

:tongue:

See....if we could only do drum corps in the winter...and fit 150 kids in a gym. And got the HS marching bands involved as well.

WGI works largely on the basis of its scholastic programs. The Phoenix regional had tons of scholastic programs from Novice to World and only a few Independent WGs.

Too bad we can't get those high school bands to march with us in the summer.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the corps who were original members of DCI are still members of DCI. Where did they go is a good question.

DCI did not work out well most of the way through the 1990s. Financially, DCI has had their best decade since 2000 even considering the financial downturn. And please argue the attendance figures from the 2007 season. Best finals attendance in better than two decades.

See, this was about rising fuel costs and that does not appear to be the case setting up this summer so far. Fuel has leveled off at comparitively low prices when compared to last year.

As far as charitable contributions and families who may or may not be able to afford to send their kid to march this summer, or cannot attend an event. The same phenomenon would happen if it was a local, regional or national show. Attendance would be down and most likely will be down this summer. There may be fewer members on the field in some corps this summer.

This is a recessionary problem and few if any not-for-profit organizations flourish during a recession. Most are hit worse than their for profit brethren.

So, shorten the season...perhaps that would be a viable option. But, how, in a country spread 3000 miles from East to West, do you construct a local/regional schedule that is different than the one that's out there today?

West coast corps do west coast shows at the beginning of the year.

Midwest corps do midwest shows at the beginning of the year.

East coast corps do east coast shows at the beginning of the year.

Just like they always did. It's regional competition for the most part at the beginning of the year.

Then, comes the DCI season...second week of July time...for a month, like it pretty much has always been...corps travel to large regional competitions...Atlanta, San Antonio, Allentown, etc.

I would love to see a better model than this. Please...enlighten me.

I totally agree. The Corps start out in their "region", with the exception of a corps (may be a different one every other year or so) travelling west on occasion to do an early western tour with those Corps for a change, and then the Corps start meeting up in the middle and second half of the season to do the "Big Shows". I don't see the issue here. They may not use regional circuit names anymore but they do basically the same tour as always.

Edited by Perry S

I'm graduating before I age out. That doesn't really make sense as a reason. I know I might get myself into some trouble on this one, but there are more important things in life than drum corps. If someone really can't afford it (like myself), especially with the way things are going, they shouldn't march. There is no point in setting yourself back 3,000 dollars to march when you could be doing other, more productive things with your time.

When I told my parents I wanted to march my age out this year, they told me I was smoking something mighty fine. It makes a lot of sense to me now. I'd rather get a job and be able to support myself than march my age out year.

In your particular situation you have probably chosen the wisest course of action for you.

It IS important to remember, no matter HOW much we love drum corps, we shouldn't put REAL life on hold in an unrealistic manner just to squeeze in one more year on the field.......

Again, I'm not trying to be a DCA cheerleader here but YOU CAN STILL HAVE FUN IN A CORPS WITHOUT SPENDING TOP DOLLARS AND USING UP AN ENTIRE SUMMER with options provided by the all age corps movement, and as you've all noticed it's NOT just a Northeastern thing anymore, there are all age options ALL OVER the place.

But, yet again, I am complimenting this young man on his maturity in deciding to put REAL LIFE first.

In your particular situation you have probably chosen the wisest course of action for you.

It IS important to remember, no matter HOW much we love drum corps, we shouldn't put REAL life on hold in an unrealistic manner just to squeeze in one more year on the field.......

Again, I'm not trying to be a DCA cheerleader here but YOU CAN STILL HAVE FUN IN A CORPS WITHOUT SPENDING TOP DOLLARS AND USING UP AN ENTIRE SUMMER with options provided by the all age corps movement, and as you've all noticed it's NOT just a Northeastern thing anymore, there are all age options ALL OVER the place.

But, yet again, I am complimenting this young man on his maturity in deciding to put REAL LIFE first.

I think DCA is a great choice for some people and as always...it's important that people have choices. DCA, DCI World Class and DCI Open Class. Choices for everyone...as long as you are 22 or under...older than that...not so much.

I'm graduating before I age out. That doesn't really make sense as a reason. I know I might get myself into some trouble on this one, but there are more important things in life than drum corps. If someone really can't afford it (like myself), especially with the way things are going, they shouldn't march. There is no point in setting yourself back 3,000 dollars to march when you could be doing other, more productive things with your time.

When I told my parents I wanted to march my age out this year, they told me I was smoking something mighty fine. It makes a lot of sense to me now. I'd rather get a job and be able to support myself than march my age out year.

BRAVO!! Graduated 30 years ago this coming December *gag* and when it came time to decide if the start of my career was more important than DC, it wasn't even close. Next 2 1/2 years I did rotating shift work (starting level) while my old corps mates were on the practice field or at shows. Thing to remember is getting that first job out of college IS a big start to the rest of your life. And as more time passes I realize how much more important that was than being on a field.

Edit: I was in a Senior corps so I could have continued marching after college....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Most of the corps who were original members of DCI are still members of DCI. Where did they go is a good question.

DCI did not work out well most of the way through the 1990s. Financially, DCI has had their best decade since 2000 even considering the financial downturn. And please argue the attendance figures from the 2007 season. Best finals attendance in better than two decades.

See, this was about rising fuel costs and that does not appear to be the case setting up this summer so far. Fuel has leveled off at comparitively low prices when compared to last year.

As far as charitable contributions and families who may or may not be able to afford to send their kid to march this summer, or cannot attend an event. The same phenomenon would happen if it was a local, regional or national show. Attendance would be down and most likely will be down this summer. There may be fewer members on the field in some corps this summer.

This is a recessionary problem and few if any not-for-profit organizations flourish during a recession. Most are hit worse than their for profit brethren.

So, shorten the season...perhaps that would be a viable option. But, how, in a country spread 3000 miles from East to West, do you construct a local/regional schedule that is different than the one that's out there today?

West coast corps do west coast shows at the beginning of the year.

Midwest corps do midwest shows at the beginning of the year.

East coast corps do east coast shows at the beginning of the year.

Just like they always did. It's regional competition for the most part at the beginning of the year.

Then, comes the DCI season...second week of July time...for a month, like it pretty much has always been...corps travel to large regional competitions...Atlanta, San Antonio, Allentown, etc.

I would love to see a better model than this. Please...enlighten me.

Tom, I guess I just don't view this as solely a recessionary problem. IMO The recession has just magnified the problem that already existed. Drum Corps has been losing "member corps" (original corps or not) from long before this economic downturn Including times of economic boom. If your referencing just what would be considered "World Class" Corps today than yes the number is fewer but still very significant. If you include what you would call "open Class" corps as well the number is staggering. Of course that number is going to be higher but I don't believe it should have been nearly as high as it is.

As far as families being able to attend events it is much easier and less expensive for me to go to shows locally than in other areas so I don't buy the argument that it doesn't make a difference where the event takes place, it makes a major difference. I am trying to go to the Texas triangle shows this summer but don't know if I can afford to yet or not. Id certainly attend a regional championship if one existed in the beginning of July instead. Also, I'm reading on line (not just dcp) about droves of kids who can't afford to march this summer. I've seen postings by section leaders, captains etc who are desperate to march but don't know if they can. Dues needs to come down or more actively paid for by other sources or only the rich kids will march. (I know this is easier said then done but it has to happen)

I agree that shortening the season doesn't make much sense. Nor does changing the age-out.

There are structural changes that could be made to the current "regional shows" in the beginning of the year. I understand that the corps start in there area of the country then go off from there but its not just about where they are its about how it's structured. Just a couple off the top of my head:

1) Consider going back to a regional championship structure of some type earlier in the season. The main reason is this will get back to influencing more growth and perhaps give some of the smaller or mid size corps more to shoot for competitively. Perhaps you could have a buildup of a few shows like the "Texas triangle" in these regional shows that would go towards placement at that regions championship show or average of the scores could determine some other benefit for the corps. Something else that the corps could promote within its organization.

2) Consider including/adding more combination open class and world class shows. That way you may be able to extend the regional portions out a little bit longer without making it too long. All major league sports have divisional competitions for a reason and they are usually set up by location. They usually compete more with those in their region as well ie The Cubs play the Cardinals more than they play the Dodgers, and the Cubs and Cardinals play for a regional or divisional championship just as the Dodgers play the Padres or anyone else in their division. Why should drum corps be different when their are so many other advantages to developing the activity from within a region or division that would help all corps in that area.

See....if we could only do drum corps in the winter...and fit 150 kids in a gym. And got the HS marching bands involved as well.

WGI works largely on the basis of its scholastic programs. The Phoenix regional had tons of scholastic programs from Novice to World and only a few Independent WGs.

Whats funny (and sad) about that is the way were going perhaps we will end up in a gym....they already have the SDA starting up. If people can't afford to march in the 150 member extravaganza perhaps that will be as good of alternative as DCA. I'll be interested to see where that goes.

And yes Tom perhaps it's time to start looking outside of the box a little bit. WGI while very immersed in Scholastic competition has a very strong independent operation as well even if it didn't show well at Phoenix or is as large as the scholastic operations. The main reason for that is because how they are set up. If your school offers a program you are suppose to march their first. So you cant use that as a reason to ignore looking at their operations. If Drum Corps is not willing to look outside of itself to other organizations be it WGI or professional sports for a little help it would be a shame but not all that surprising. It seems to be the MO lately.

Edited by bmroth1

Good points. WGI members groups have a few factors that really work in their favor.

1) Lower overhead. Most programs(even worlds) are in a school (lower/no overhead)

2)equiptment is owned mostly by the schools. Borrowed by the WGI Member (no equipment costs)

3)Local events= little or no travel expense

4)Local events = No food expense

5)Local events = local(parents and friends can attend EVERY event)

6)Local Group= no housing costs

Just to name a few that come to mind

My son marches WGI. We go to every event. The stands are filled with parents and family/friends.

Have his group travel say 300 miles to Chicago or Columbus or Indy and 90% or more of the parents would not go, that would be lost revenew for WGI. Finals and reginal events are the exceptions. We already have our tickets to the Finals in Dayton April 16-18, as do most parents we know. So i can go to one major event out of state, but could not support them if it was every week for 4-6-8 weeks.

Tom, I guess I just don't view this as solely a recessionary problem. IMO The recession has just magnified the problem that already existed. Drum Corps has been losing "member corps" (original corps or not) from long before this economic downturn Including times of economic boom. If your referencing just what would be considered "World Class" Corps today than yes the number is fewer but still very significant. If you include what you would call "open Class" corps as well the number is staggering. Of course that number is going to be higher but I don't believe it should have been nearly as high as it is.

As far as families being able to attend events it is much easier and less expensive for me to go to shows locally than in other areas so I don't buy the argument that it doesn't make a difference where the event takes place, it makes a major difference. I am trying to go to the Texas triangle shows this summer but don't know if I can afford to yet or not. Id certainly attend a regional championship if one existed in the beginning of July instead. Also, I'm reading on line (not just dcp) about droves of kids who can't afford to march this summer. I've seen postings by section leaders, captains etc who are desperate to march but don't know if they can. Dues needs to come down or more actively paid for by other sources or only the rich kids will march. (I know this is easier said then done but it has to happen)

I agree that shortening the season doesn't make much sense. Nor does changing the age-out.

There are structural changes that could be made to the current "regional shows" in the beginning of the year. I understand that the corps start in there area of the country then go off from there but its not just about where they are its about how it's structured. Just a couple off the top of my head:

1) Consider going back to a regional championship structure of some type earlier in the season. The main reason is this will get back to influencing more growth and perhaps give some of the smaller or mid size corps more to shoot for competitively. Perhaps you could have a buildup of a few shows like the "Texas triangle" in these regional shows that would go towards placement at that regions championship show or average of the scores could determine some other benefit for the corps. Something else that the corps could promote within its organization.

2) Consider including/adding more combination open class and world class shows. That way you may be able to extend the regional portions out a little bit longer without making it too long. All major league sports have divisional competitions for a reason and they are usually set up by location. They usually compete more with those in their region as well ie The Cubs play the Cardinals more than they play the Dodgers, and the Cubs and Cardinals play for a regional or divisional championship just as the Dodgers play the Padres or anyone else in their division. Why should drum corps be different when their are so many other advantages to developing the activity from within a region or division that would help all corps in that area.

I wouldn't advocate messing around too much with Open Class. They are out of debt now as a circuit and their audience just needs to grow....on its own.

This is where I agree with the big boys. If you buy the ticket to see Cavies, Madison, Regiment duke it out, that's what the $18 ticket goes for. Between the judges and what the headliners make, there just isn't enough left for the Open Class opener acts.

But, if their circuit flourishes on its own....Michigan City is a great start to this...then the revenue will be there...without having to resort to living off the backs of the big boys.

Open Class has improved steadily and 2006 was the best Open Class finals I have seen to date and I've seen many since 1995. I didn't get to the last one but I have the DVD (still unwatched). It's ok though...I'm having a DVD watch party soon. It's a whole day of drum corps on my big screen with a few friends.

Forgot to add:

If one could merge WGI and DCI into one then it just might work for the better.

Have smaller DCI corps that march in winter in gyms in a more local/regional schedule. This would reduce costs greatly and grow audiance base. It would also more then likely water down the quality of the DCI corps.

I already know of a few Percussionists who are NOT marching DCI but marching WGI only due to costs.

If your family is having money proublems, its easier to afford WGI then DCI. Im our case WGI is approx.

25% the cost of DCI. This pattern may have an adverse effect on DCI in regards to percussion quality.