Crossmen 2009

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and there's a misconception out there that "it's because teaching a full hornline to swing is difficult." not all jazz is swing. although i do have to admit that the effectiveness of jazz pretty heavily relies on the uniformity and accuracy of articulation across the hornline. . . but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

The issue is not merely that it's hard to get authentic and effective jazz style out of the members (and this is an issue for battery and pit percussion as well as hornlines) but that you don't usually get commensurate credit from the judging community when you do achieve it. It's a competitive handicap unless you have the right staff.

Nevertheless, someone will come out with a killer jazz show sooner or later. Then the "monkey see, monkey do" aspect of drum corps will take over and we'll be treated to a glut of poorly done jazz shows again.

Could you not remove the word "jazz" and replace it with any other style of music and still have an accurate statement?

I suppose, but I feel like "correct" articulation is way, way more important in jazz than in other genres of wind music.

I see what you're saying, and I see what he's saying. Some people felt that their performance, as astounding as it was, was a bit detached emotionally. To be fair, they chose to approach the subject material strictly from a musical standpoint and not a literal storytelling standpoint, so I can see how some people might look at their performance a certain way.

In terms of making comparisons between this and 93, I don't really see it. They're playing some similar source material and that's about it. Like the Planets last year. When they first announced that, the comparisons started to fly between them and 95 Cavaliers. Ignoring the obvious performance differences, in reality, the shows were nothing alike, and were never meant to be.

I think the Crossmen have a great opportunity here to connect to that emotional element of the music of Medea (in addition to their other source material) in a way that is far more overt and obvious and nothing like Star ever meant to do with their production. Not necessarily a bad thing. Certainly, adding Wes Cartwright to the mix is a plus, as I believe he is someone who can make that emotional connection something special. Looking forward to it.

I suppose, but I feel like "correct" articulation is way, way more important in jazz than in other genres of wind music.

/agree

Lol, to bad the One O'Clock is full of people from many different states, countries even, and 95% graduate students to old to do drum corps

"To" bad or "too" bad? (If you're going to attempt to correct, then do it correctly....LOL) Anyway, the drum and bugle corps isn't comprised of a solely Texan population either, so I assume you also disagree with the original statement as well?

I'm aware that most of the the Lab Band members are grad students and, as such, most likely not of DCI marching age-- but that has exactly jack #### to do with whether or not they can "swing." Since the original remark simply referred to the difficulty of teaching Texan's how to swing (and did not specifically limit this to drum corps members), I made a joking remark in reference to another Texas group that certainly can swing. (Emphasis being on the group being "Texan" and not necessarily the individual members.)

Lol, to bad the One O'Clock is full of people from many different states, countries even

so does the crossmen...

so does the crossmen...

The members of the one o clock are much much much better than probably 99.99 percent of the members in the Crossmen. Of course they know how to swing....thats all I'm saying

The members of the one o clock are much much much better than probably 99.99 percent of the members in the Crossmen. Of course they know how to swing....thats all I'm saying

The members of the one o'clock band are much much much better than probably 99.99% of the marching members in DCI.

Edited by TSRTS13

I like how one Texas joke gets this much attention..... haha, I love myself.

The members of the one o'clock band are much much much better than probably 99.99 of the marching members in DCI.

Also true