Crossmen 2009

If you didn't see the emotion in Star 93 than you weren't paying attention.

I see what you're saying, and I see what he's saying. Some people felt that their performance, as astounding as it was, was a bit detached emotionally. To be fair, they chose to approach the subject material strictly from a musical standpoint and not a literal storytelling standpoint, so I can see how some people might look at their performance a certain way.

In terms of making comparisons between this and 93, I don't really see it. They're playing some similar source material and that's about it. Like the Planets last year. When they first announced that, the comparisons started to fly between them and 95 Cavaliers. Ignoring the obvious performance differences, in reality, the shows were nothing alike, and were never meant to be.

I think the Crossmen have a great opportunity here to connect to that emotional element of the music of Medea (in addition to their other source material) in a way that is far more overt and obvious and nothing like Star ever meant to do with their production. Not necessarily a bad thing. Certainly, adding Wes Cartwright to the mix is a plus, as I believe he is someone who can make that emotional connection something special. Looking forward to it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see what you're saying, and I see what he's saying. Some people felt that their performance, as astounding as it was, was a bit detached emotionally. To be fair, they chose to approach the subject material strictly from a musical standpoint and not a literal storytelling standpoint, so I can see how some people might look at their performance a certain way.

In terms of making comparisons between this and 93, I don't really see it. They're playing some similar source material and that's about it. Like the Planets last year. When they first announced that, the comparisons started to fly between them and 95 Cavaliers. Ignoring the obvious performance differences, in reality, the shows were nothing alike, and were never meant to be.

I think the Crossmen have a great opportunity here to connect to that emotional element of the music of Medea (in addition to their other source material) in a way that is far more overt and obvious and nothing like Star ever meant to do with their production. Not necessarily a bad thing. Certainly, adding Wes Cartwright to the mix is a plus, as I believe he is someone who can make that emotional connection something special. Looking forward to it.

You got it.

CHEZ

It's not often there is a post I 100% agree with.

Congratulations!

I'm sure the show will or won't be awesome... I'll let you guys debate that. But I really wish designers would stop being cutesy with the title. It's not Forbidden, it's ForibbeN, as if capitalizing that one letter changes anything. I'm sure they couldn't have been any more creative with it if they spelled it phonetically or spelled it wrong to emphasize a different word within the larger one (i.e. FOURbidden). Give me a break.

Sorry guys, it's the little things...

ForbiddeX was another option vetoed early on. :thumbup:

I'm sure the show will or won't be awesome... I'll let you guys debate that. But I really wish designers would stop being cutesy with the title. It's not Forbidden, it's ForibbeN, as if capitalizing that one letter changes anything. I'm sure they couldn't have been any more creative with it if they spelled it phonetically or spelled it wrong to emphasize a different word within the larger one (i.e. FOURbidden). Give me a break.

Sorry guys, it's the little things...

ForbiddeX was another option vetoed early on. :thumbup:

Guidry is For-Biden.

and Obama is pretty cool, er, kewl, too.

If you didn't see the emotion in Star 93 than you weren't paying attention.

I saw the Star show several times that year. Masterful on many levels. Still a SNOOZER!. Watch on my Video from the PBS broadcast. ZZZZZZZ. :thumbup: Now the Crossmen I hope will bring some excitement to it. Don't know yet. But I agree with some of the other posters, comparisons, although inevitable, I do not feel are really applicable in this case.

last time crossmen did something close to jazz (2005) they definitely did well with swing in "radar love" (especially the bari section in the beginning) ... as good as any IMO

and if you can't feel the emotion in star 93, i'll send you the drum judges tape or you can watch any of the yearbook videos on youtube ... surely you can then discover it

Edited by brassmeaway

last time crossmen did something close to jazz (2005) they definitely did well with swing in "radar love" (especially the bari section in the beginning) ... as good as any IMO

and if you can't feel the emotion in star 93, i'll send you the drum judges tape or you can watch any of the yearbook videos on youtube ... surely you can then discover it

That just means the emotion was on the field... not where it needed to reach, the paying audience.

I never saw Star live... ever, so I'm not speaking from experience... but what I have seen on video, great, amazing show... the only emotion I felt was probably int he last minute.

Guidry is For-Biden.

and Obama is pretty cool, er, kewl, too.

ha, clever

I never saw Star live... ever, so I'm not speaking from experience... but what I have seen on video, great, amazing show... the only emotion I felt was probably int he last minute.

I never saw it live either, and the whenever I saw the show originally I was always like "eh..." about it until the last minute or two, until I started to watch it more and more and actually became familiar with the original Barber work. Then I started to see more in the show and enjoy it more from start to finish. I guess it might just be more of an "acquired taste" kind of show for some...

I can't wait to see what the Crossmen bring to the field with Medea this summer! And what about My Immortal? That could be a pretty good ballad maybe...we'll just have to wait and see what they do...