What Has Drum Corps Has Done For You?

Quite honestly,were it not for my first corps and corps director,I would most likely be dead or imprisoned.I owe Him my life.

Not me but if I were to go on about Carmen, Hy, Eric, etc. ...but for you - here's this: :satisfied::tongue: :tongue: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Most would agree: Corps teaches us self disciplne, strong work ethic, accomplisment against insurmountable odds. It taught me a competitive drive that would rival any athlete. That competitive drive is so ingrained in me that it has helped me succeed in career and business.

-- Provided me with a commitment to excellence I have passed on to my son.

-- Upper back problems; specifically, between the shoulder blades from carrying baris and euphs. Yes, I worked out quite a bit before I did SCV's Tournament of Roses in '04, SCV/BD's Alumni Ensemble '07 and KAC '05-'08.

-- the friends I have made that have found me on Facebook.

-- watching a formerly well-respected staff member take their act at SCV way too far on the last day of rehearsal before Finals in '85.

Quite honestly,were it not for my first corps and corps director,I would most likely be dead or imprisoned.I owe Him my life.

I think you are probably one on many who were saved by drum corps. In our corps half of the kids should have been or would have been in jail. Drum corps in the 60's was a way to give kids something constructive to do during the summer time and keep them off the streets.

Edited by baja

Oh, I probably would have ended up teaching at some major HS, playing in an orchestra somewhere and generally playing tuba for pleasure and profit...which is pretty much exactly what I do today anyway. I am not sure if I would have the monster chops and attitude though that I have today (as well as the bad low back and blown out knees, which are healed up for the most part!). :thumbup:

And being able to purchase a VK baseball cap for little Julia Baer (daughter of the New York Phil. principal tuba Alan Baer and one of VK's infamous bari instructors, Noreen Harris) was priceless last night. That could not have happened without my SoCal drum corps experience!

Learned to accept and deal with people different from me. I was in a Sr corps with age range HS to 40s,from having kids to living with the parents,from no job to construction to white collar to ?????, etc, etc, etc. Realized later it's a big reason why I'm not phased by people "not like you and me" <$1 to Sarah Palin> and that goes for in the US and overseas.

Oh yeah, also big reason why phrases like hearing "They're different" in a derogatory manner gets me highly PO'ed. My usual respons is "So ####### what?".

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Drum Corps has given me so many things I could go on forever but the highlights are:

-My wife (35 years now) marched with the Bleu Raeders, New Orleans - 1972

-Got me off the streets (the only reason I was in drum corps is that I was caught cutting school by Gail Royer who made me show up to what I thought was detention but ended up being a drum and bugle corps practice (Sparks). Spark turned into the Santa Clara Vanguard.

-Taught me that I could actually play an instrument (the first farts out of my bugle were not pretty)

-Taught me about people and life, no better teacher

-Taught me about traveling; post drum corps I lived 20+ years overseas

-Brought me so many close friends over the years

-How to appreciate a classic drum corps show (i.e.; 89 SCV) - priceless!!! (brings tears to my eyes everytime!)

:thumbup:

Edited by amadorj

Oh, I probably would have ended up teaching at some major HS, playing in an orchestra somewhere and generally playing tuba for pleasure and profit...which is pretty much exactly what I do today anyway. I am not sure if I would have the monster chops and attitude though that I have today (as well as the bad low back and blown out knees, which are healed up for the most part!). :thumbup:

And being able to purchase a VK baseball cap for little Julia Baer (daughter of the New York Phil. principal tuba Alan Baer and one of VK's infamous bari instructors, Noreen Harris) was priceless last night. That could not have happened without my SoCal drum corps experience!

It was a red VK cap!!!