Cadets Hall Of Fame Nominations Streaming In

In July 2008, four amazing individuals earned the highest achievement possible within the Cadets' organization: The Cadets Hall of Fame. For alumni Al Chez and David Welch, Staff Member Marc Sylvester, and former corps Director Dr. Joseph Cinzio, to be selected among individuals who have contributed to an organization that...

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/index.php?o...5&Itemid=39

In July 2008, four amazing individuals earned the highest achievement possible within the Cadets' organization: The Cadets Hall of Fame. For alumni Al Chez and David Welch, Staff Member Marc Sylvester, and former corps Director Dr. Joseph Cinzio, to be selected among individuals who have contributed to an organization that...

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/index.php?o...5&Itemid=39

I missed this last summer. Congrats to TheChezMan and all the inductees!

Here are the nomination guidelines:

"1. Anyone can nominate any person they feel is deserving of this honor.

2. The nominees must have been active in the Cadets as a member, instructional staff or support staff (includes quartermasters, drivers, parents, cooks, etc…)

3. Nominations must be made by letter to the Cadets Hall of Fame Committee. The letter should describe the candidate’s qualifications.</STRONG> No person may nominate more than one candidate per year for election. Letters and nominations will be sent to the Cadets Office in c/o the Chairman of the committee.

4. Each nomination must be supported by one, and up to four (4) additional letters</STRONG> describing the nominee’s qualifications.</STRONG> Only two letters per year will be accepted from any one person in support of a nominee for election. In the event that more than four letters supporting any nomination are received, the person making the nomination will select no more than four of these letters to be posted along with the ballot.

5. Nominations and acceptance of letters of support must be received by April 30, 2009. No nominations and/or letters will be accepted after this date.

6. All nominations and support letters will be posted on the Cadets web site. The ballots and support letters will NOT be mailed. If an eligible voter does not have a computer, have them contact the Committee Chairman c/o the Cadets."

----------------

I cannot find where the nomination letters have been posted....thus I will make my own (posted below). I encourage everyone to support this nomination...please foward any additional letters of support to me at homfencing@hotmail.com and I will forward them to the Cadets.

----------------

I, Sam Signorelli, hereby nominate Barbara Maroney for the Cadets Hall of Fame.

Ms. Maroney’s mellophone solo work in the 1983-84 Garfield Cadets is legendary, not only for the technical proficiency and emotional content, but for the skill demonstrated in working around the fact of Ms. Maroney’s missing left arm – and the inability to work the 1st valve slide to adjust tuning on those notes inherently out of tune on a G bugle. One would be hard pressed to find any flaw in Ms. Maroney’s solos due to this issue....she was always rock solid.

When we (Blue Devils) saw the Garfield run through at the Port Huron clinic in 84 – the only time we had a chance to see the corps from the audience POV – we had a collective corpsgasm at the end of her "I Have a Love" solo.

On any drum corps discussion board, whenever the subject of memorable mellophone players comes up, Ms. Maroney is often the first and most frequent person cited....even 25 years after her age-out.

That deservedly puts her in the company of Blue Devils’ Bonnie Ott, Bridgemen’s "Diamond" Jim Brady, North Star’s Jerry Noonan, Muchachos’ Jeff Kivet, Spirit of Atlanta’s Hunter Moss, Velvet Knights’ John McCoy, and so many other stellar performers over the years.

The thought that Barbara Maroney is not in the Cadets Hall of Fame already is, to my mind, a travesty....and it should not have to fall to a Blue Devil to nominate her....but nominate her I do.

She has been an inspiration, a joy to listen to, and the mellophone gold standard for two and a half decades, and deserves the honor of entry into the Cadets’ Hall of Fame.

Sincerely,

Sam Signorelli

1984 Blue Devils (Soprano)

is there a known list of all cadets that have gone pro as players?

i know "from what i understand" that jack m? "mallet player early 90's" was possibly the only member from blast to stay in new york to pursue music performance.

Nice gesture, Sam! :smile:

There is no doubt that Barbara deserves the honor. The only problem is that I've been told that she is "missing in action" and nobody can seem to locate her.

Believe there is a correction to this article: Mark Sylvester was not awarded a spot in the 2008 Cadets Hall of Fame.....it was Jeff Sacktig, alumni and staff member

Believe there is a correction to this article: Mark Sylvester was not awarded a spot in the 2008 Cadets Hall of Fame.....it was Jeff Sacktig, alumni and staff member

That is correct. Marc was inducted a long time ago. Jeff Sacktig received the honor last year.

That is correct. Marc was inducted a long time ago. Jeff Sacktig received the honor last year.

Just referring to the number 1 post in this thread, looks like it was posted or taken from DCP Frontpage...making correction so others will know, that's all.

Nice gesture, Sam! :smile:

There is no doubt that Barbara deserves the honor. The only problem is that I've been told that she is "missing in action" and nobody can seem to locate her.

Hey...I calls 'em like I sees 'em....Barb has been THE Cadet soloist in my mind since we marched.

"MIA" should not matter...skill and rightness should...for her not to already be in Cadets' HoF is just wrong.

Edited by 84BDsop