Arena Drum Corps East has Launched

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right, where were we? I think there should be a 4 horn - 2 drum minimum....... discuss

4/2 has been discussed, this is why we are thinking of 10 as minimum. figure 5/5 or 7/3 and so on.

figuring in the fact that sounds and people. looking at the size of most units during the winter and the people who do other factors of winter organizations there will be few units who would make 80 total but it would be the Max with 10 as the minimum.

Some people need to understand why theres a McDonalds, Burger King and Wendys selling hamburgers. Because they all think they can do better then the other guy. If I had started an indoor association it would be because I thought I could do it better then the other guy. The reason DCI is where its at is because they did it better then the other guys.

I'm sure if SDCA or the east coast version offered something better then WGI, indoor percussion, TOB or whomever, then they will succeed.

When my daughter joined the band was seeing this small band of 25 kids trying to do what the big bands did on the field and it wasn't working. I sent a survey to about 25 small band diectors along the east coast and they overwhelmingly agreed that an indoor curcuit would be of interest. So one why not have mixed shows. That way you have an audience for the promoters. The bands on a more level field and the drum corps get more exposure.

I'm not one to look at why something won't work I'd rather try to find a solution.

Actually, I think there's an outdoor summer band association in Indiana. From what I remember most of the bands were relatively small. In a way, it works for them because kids at small high schools usually have to pick sports or band/chorus during the school year because of time constraints.

Actually, I think there's an outdoor summer band association in Indiana. From what I remember most of the bands were relatively small. In a way, it works for them because kids at small high schools usually have to pick sports or band/chorus during the school year because of time constraints.

Actually, if anyone from Indy can verify this, please tell them the story. The Summer Bands festival in Indy is maybe bigger than most DCI shows or Regionals. While I was a tDCI Finals this summer, the top stop on the news my first day in on a Tuesday was the results from the Indiana Band Championships at the Indiana state fair. They showed the crowd and there had to be over 10,000 in the stands.

Here is MY point put specifically as I can. There are people on this very thread who can't get their corps going for whatever reason. Some are in our area. Instead of helping us out, they will put all their time & energy into this "off-season" activity. We already have a good corps, but with a little help I believe we could really have a shot at the top in class A. If you really just did this off-season, I would have no problems with it, but let's have a season first.

Before knocking others get yours on the field and live up to the hype.Its' not up to others to get your corps going, its up to the members,and that's your job. Some of those you have infered to, have already accomplished that!

Edited by PGHPercussion

Points well taken, but I didn't knock you folks. However, we will be on the field make no mistake. The question is with 50 or 60 people. I meant no disrespect. It just baffles me that many (not all) of you folks down south will just sit back, watch and do nothing. You guys gave it a good shot, it didn't work. Maybe together we could really do something great. The timing of it all is happening now. I'm probably overstepping my bounds here, this is just me talking, not my corps. They're probably wondering what I'm talking about as much as you guys are. If I didn't respect you, would I be saying any of this? We don't need you, but I would like you on-board. Peace and a good summer, whatever you decide.

What do you think they do down here? Everyone from Sound Wave on Jr. and Sr. wondered why all the fence sitters. Drum corps killed itself off down here, mostly self inflicted wounds.But I am doing something about it,with no fanfare no hype.One section at a time until everything is set in motion.I had hope to get out after 2005 and turn it over to others,it didn't work.I got to clean up the mess though.We tried to build up what was here with others, and it went nowhere.We're on our own,that's probably the best thing.Right now the percussion is working, we did a standstill at one guard show, and will be in two in April.We have witnesses :thumbup: . Its 13 consistant people playing some really difficult music in a concert setting. We will start to recruit for a parade/exhibition corps for the summer, while starting the indoor guard for next year.With what returns next year we'll plan accordingly. I personally believe some day there will be a competetive field corps down here.But it will take time and hopefully with out me.I've carried enough water.

PS my personal feelings for Erie is 'I hope your dreams come true and look forward to cheering you on and off the field' that is until something down here emerges and I'll have to root for them!

Edited by jeff danchik