Why Isn't There a Competitive DCA Corps in the Tri-State(Ohio,Indi

The only show DCA has is Championships! Its difficult to get corps to come to a show that they are not already involved in.Many Corps have mutual attendance shows were they attend each others.Also sponsors had shows where the corps would pick a show they wanted to attend as it fit their needs. Some of those shows fell through because not enough corps would attend. A few years back DCA did try to get corps to go to one show a year they would assign them to, but didn't succeed.The shows are pretty much run by Corps in DCA, unlike DCI who puts corps in their shows. But if a sponsor has a good new venue and the money to pull it off,there needs to be more effort to make the shows happen.That is my opinion though!

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but that's a little facile. DCA is run by the corps, but that's becausse DCA IS the corps. So when I speak of DCA as an entity, I am speaking of the organization that is the titular head of the all-age activity as determined by the corps that participate in said activity. Thus saying, if DCA as a whole said, "Hey, we want to have a show once a year in Ohio/Indiana, and we would like it if at least 3 of our most successful corps participated in that show, along with any smaller corps in that area", and gave good reasons why this should happen (expansion of the activity to large hotbeds of drum corps activity = GOOD for all in that activity), then it would be easier to have a show with actual DCA participation.

The three closest big name corps to Columbus, for instance, are ES, Cru, and Brigs. It's still a distance for them; 6.5 hours minimum. For Reading to come (the next closest of the top ten) would be 9 hours at least. Yes, it's difficult, because the distances are large and gas prices are usually higher in the summer. Youngstown/Cleveland would be better in that sense; closer to more corps, more chance of participation, etc.

What I'm trying to say is that DCA as an entity could engage a few corps to participate for the good of the activity, to raise its brand value. We often forget that businesses that are not for profit are still businesses, and as such, they own a brand, and have a responsibility to promote that brand.

Let me put it this way: it's like an oil company mining only one field for decades and wondering why the wells are drying up (or at best holding steady), while ignoring the fact that there's open and available land with brand new untapped oil right next door. The sensible thing to do is to buy the land; the potential return on the initial investment grows geometrically. DCA, and the corps that run it, should be drilling the well here.

IMO, all of this, of course.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the reason is the same "sickness" that was happening to Erie until Lake Erie Thunder started up....

We Traveled to march, and just wanted to march a Top 10 group

You have to give your local groups a chance, and dont overpass a group a few hours away to travel another 2 or 3 hours!

Part of the reason is the same "sickness" that was happening to Erie until Lake Erie Thunder started up....

We Traveled to march, and just wanted to march a Top 10 group

You have to give your local groups a chance, and dont overpass a group a few hours away to travel another 2 or 3 hours!

Can't argue the point at all. Happens more than we like to admit.

(PS: got your PM, will respond in kind this afternoon, most likely)

I would love to march in a corps from this area, but I am in Florida from mid-June to mid-August. A couple of years ago I contacted Heatwave, they never contacted me back. I would think it would be very hard to get a corps going in the Cincy area. It would probably only attract the over 18 crowd. The HS bands are very good (and time consuming).

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but that's a little facile. DCA is run by the corps, but that's becausse DCA IS the corps. So when I speak of DCA as an entity, I am speaking of the organization that is the titular head of the all-age activity as determined by the corps that participate in said activity. Thus saying, if DCA as a whole said, "Hey, we want to have a show once a year in Ohio/Indiana, and we would like it if at least 3 of our most successful corps participated in that show, along with any smaller corps in that area", and gave good reasons why this should happen (expansion of the activity to large hotbeds of drum corps activity = GOOD for all in that activity), then it would be easier to have a show with actual DCA participation.

The three closest big name corps to Columbus, for instance, are ES, Cru, and Brigs. It's still a distance for them; 6.5 hours minimum. For Reading to come (the next closest of the top ten) would be 9 hours at least. Yes, it's difficult, because the distances are large and gas prices are usually higher in the summer. Youngstown/Cleveland would be better in that sense; closer to more corps, more chance of participation, etc.

What I'm trying to say is that DCA as an entity could engage a few corps to participate for the good of the activity, to raise its brand value. We often forget that businesses that are not for profit are still businesses, and as such, they own a brand, and have a responsibility to promote that brand.

Let me put it this way: it's like an oil company mining only one field for decades and wondering why the wells are drying up (or at best holding steady), while ignoring the fact that there's open and available land with brand new untapped oil right next door. The sensible thing to do is to buy the land; the potential return on the initial investment grows geometrically. DCA, and the corps that run it, should be drilling the well here.

IMO, all of this, of course.

Facile? easier said than done. Who pays for the three corps expenses.DCA ? the Corps? a sponsor in a new area who's about to float expenses their local band festival has never seen before.Plus for a sanctioned show I believe you need four corps? Plus oil companies have more addicts than drumcorps willing to shell out money.

Facile? easier said than done. Who pays for the three corps expenses.DCA ? the Corps? a sponsor in a new area who's about to float expenses their local band festival has never seen before.Plus for a sanctioned show I believe you need four corps? Plus oil companies have more addicts than drumcorps willing to shell out money.

You yourself said that DCA = the corps. It's true, so in that case we can combine them and just say yes to your question in their case - because it is an investment. No venture, no gain. Finding a sponsor who's going to have the vision to see what's in it for him isn't really workable in most cases, Bill Cook notwithstanding.

Re: sanctioned show needing four corps, that's also facile - in other words, simplistic. All that has to happen is for the member corps to vote to waive the requirement for a single show in the interests of the activity as a whole. A rule like this, which is essentially arbitrary, is not a reason not to sanction a show that could expand the paying fan base.

Re: oil companies, but that wasn't my argument. You looked at it backwards. You're saying that oil is a guaranteed warrant to print money, while drum corps fan bases are not guaranteed in anyway. That's true to a point, but misses MY point - that fan base is the only feasible way for the business that is DCA and all-age corps to make money in order to keep running. Fan base is to DCA as oil in the ground is to oil companies. - their source of profit. If DCA wants more profit to keep running, expanding the fan base is crucial. So what if people are "addicted" to oil, and very few are addictied to drum corps? It's still a comparison regarding raw profit potential.

You yourself said that DCA = the corps. It's true, so in that case we can combine them and just say yes to your question in their case - because it is an investment. No venture, no gain. Finding a sponsor who's going to have the vision to see what's in it for him isn't really workable in most cases, Bill Cook notwithstanding.

Re: sanctioned show needing four corps, that's also facile - in other words, simplistic. All that has to happen is for the member corps to vote to waive the requirement for a single show in the interests of the activity as a whole. A rule like this, which is essentially arbitrary, is not a reason not to sanction a show that could expand the paying fan base.

Re: oil companies, but that wasn't my argument. You looked at it backwards. You're saying that oil is a guaranteed warrant to print money, while drum corps fan bases are not guaranteed in anyway. That's true to a point, but misses MY point - that fan base is the only feasible way for the business that is DCA and all-age corps to make money in order to keep running. Fan base is to DCA as oil in the ground is to oil companies. - their source of profit. If DCA wants more profit to keep running, expanding the fan base is crucial. So what if people are "addicted" to oil, and very few are addictied to drum corps? It's still a comparison regarding raw profit potential.

That being the case, then do it. Or yet charge a $1.00 surcharge on every ticket sold, and $1.00 on every member marching, to pay for it.Just like a drumcorps tax.That will be popularist too, but probably wouldn't pay for one show! Its just not that simple!

That being the case, then do it. Or yet charge a $1.00 surcharge on every ticket sold, and $1.00 on every member marching, to pay for it.Just like a drumcorps tax.That will be popularist too, but probably wouldn't pay for one show! Its just not that simple!

No, see, that's the problem with drum corps today - it IS that simple. Money is always the problem; selling to fans and making new fans is always the solution. Yes, there are other things that can be done, and again, I say that Bill Cook has done a great job of showing us how to do them, but for most of the activity, fan base is the key.

A "drumcorps tax" isn't workable, but how exactly do you think drum corps funds itself today? Dues/membership fees? Donations? These things exist, but they don't pierce the heart of the problem - marketing to new fans with the attendant added revenue. Marketing to fans is and always has been the only way that drum corps can continue to exist. Without new fans, drum corps ceases to exist as we ourselves die out over time. Unfortunately, we as a group are exceptionally bad at marketing, because too many of us have an aloof and elitist attitude about that drum corps is. The most divisive and obnoxious question that can be asked of any potential fan is always: "But where did you march?" I have news for you - if the only people watching drum corps are people who have previously marched, drum corps will be dead in ten years. Thankfully it's not the case - but sometimes we act, as a group, as though the activity exists for us, and only for us, just because we had the privilege to stand on the field.

But really, I'm wasting my time here. The people running things know that money comes from fans, so the best way, really the only long-term way, for us to continue to exist is to garner more fans - some of whom might someday march themselves. But to do that, we have to give up the idea that only we can really appreciate drum and bugle corps.

I think this is a 'glass half full or half empty sort of question'. Outside of Cincinnati Tradition, this region has had nearly zero all age corps buzz, until very recently. Now you have several minicorps and class A units. I think in the near future you will see something more substantial from this region. You cannot swing a dead cat without hitting a Phantom/Bluecoat/Glassmen/Cavalier/Southwind/Captial Regiment Alum. And central IN his the HS Band center of the Universe. The area is ripe with potential yet remains largely ignorant of the all-age aspect of the activity. Give it some time, the little sprouts there now might blossom.

exactly. remember, 12 years ago the thought of an all age corps in california was a joke.

then evil was unleashed