Shako/Helmet Vs Cabbie

What to wear  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Shakos/Helmets, Cabbies

• Stay with the rest of the corps and what they are wearing despite the head tilt
    • swith for a more straighter look

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sousaphone - Those swirly hip huggers....not legal in DCI.

Just out of curiosity, which DCI rule prohibits sousaphones?

Should the pit keep their headgear on the entire time? Should all percussionists wear gloves? Why doesn't the DM keep their headgear on the entire show? Seems like similar arguments.

Personally, the fact that the DM and pit don't wear their headgear bothers me more than contras/tubas wearing cabbies. One of the reasons I really enjoyed Madison last year was the simple fact that the pit wore theirs.

I'm pretty sure the DM takes his headgear off out of respect for the audience that wouldn't be able to see over it.

And I'm sure gloves make stick grips more difficult some how, I'm not a percussionist but that seems to make sense.

Just out of curiosity, which DCI rule prohibits sousaphones?

When the rule change was passed allowing any key of brass to be used, part of the change specified that trombones and sousaphones were not allowed.

I'm pretty sure the DM takes his headgear off out of respect for the audience that wouldn't be able to see over it.

And I'm sure gloves make stick grips more difficult some how, I'm not a percussionist but that seems to make sense.

Indeed, they do (depending on the type of glove). Personally, I prefer just grip tape; although, there are drummers that swear by their "drummer" / batting gloves.

Anyway, as for the headgear, it doesn't really matter what they wear for me.

Edited by dcsnare93

The contra aussies are bent on the left side for cavies.

The tubas wear the hats "backwards".

Beat me to it....30+ years of the cabbie caps seems to prove the point that they DO work....but not every corps can do it.

BD: duh....the originators, I think.

Madson: They've done it several times.

SCV or Cadets: Aww HELL no!

What about the Kingsmen?...I could be wrong though.

ESPERANZA...made (really strongly suggested) their members shave there heads...some girls did it...