Madison Scouts Announce 2009 Program

Here's hoping the uniforms are different than last year. Those were downright awful. The music, on the other hand seems to be just the kind of think I like to hear from Mad town.

just allow the guard to keep everything on this year...no dressing down to the white Ts please.

That was a bad moment last year....very bad.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the fourth time in the last 15 years that the Scouts have done Malaga. I honestly think there should be a 10-year moratorium on Malaga and Malaguena (and not just the Scouts). They are both great pieces of music for drum corps, but they have both been beat to death.

Also, at the risk of inciting the Scouts fans who are already somewhat defensive into this thread (I love the emotion of Scouts’ fans!), put me in the column of those who thought the announcement was a bit pompous. Drop the preface, which takes pot shots at other corps’ announcements and just issue a brief statement… we will get it. To be honest, aside from the cheap shot at other announcements, the first thing I thought was that they must not have had have enough time to put together a “lofty and abstract” announcement of their own and wanted to quickly get the show information out there.

With this said, I like the Scouts doing Spanish music and think it suits them extremely well. I suspect by having only hints of Malaga in the show they are attempting to regain some of the emotion (and fan support) from the 1994 and 1995 shows. I hope they succeed. Good luck Scouts

Interesting inclusion of Malaguena since the last time they did it was 13 yers ago so theres already been a 10 year moratorium. A total of 5 times in the DCI Era. (1972-now) Over the same time period, SCV has performed Appalachian Spring 5 times as well. Conquest has been peformed 18 times by Boston Crusaders. Auld land Syne 6 times by Kilties (last time 79) Phantom Regiment has done Spartacus 3 times, An American in Paris 3 times, and has in general played a boatload of Beethoven, Wagner, Tchaikovsky and Dvorak. Channel One suite has been done by BD 4 times, Suerte de los tontos 3 times, Spanish Fantasy 5 times, Legend of the one eyed sailor 3 times, Chick Corea selections 4 times, (Thats 12 "spanish" tunes in this incomplete listing) Cavies did Pines of Rome 3 times.

Point is in the DCI era alone, repeating musical selections is not in anyway limited to Madison Who btw have also reprised Slaughter 4 times, Rhapsody in Blue 3 times, and Ballet in Brass 5 times.

Madison's signature Spanish tune are no more repetitive than Phantom, SCV or Glassmen. But it is a gross generalization to lump in 08 and now 09 with those productions since the Spanish music is much more symphonic and less "Toreador music".

All info obtained from www.corpsreps.com

Edited by Scerpella

I think the symphonic latin-style music from last year / this year is a brilliant idea, honestly - it gives them a chance to do what they do best, and honestly, latin music is what's expected out of them, while upgrading the degree of difficulty and sophistication to their shows.

Oh God - I just agreed with Dan, didn't I?

Mike

...which would be a shame because Malaga is a great chart that deserves to be played and heard. This reluctance to hear great tunes repeated I just can't understand.

My mom wants to cook my favorite dish for me again? I'll eat it gladly.

A pretty girl wants to kiss me again? I'm ready.

Madison wants to play Malaga? Bring it.

Maybe. Thing is, one's favorite dish prepared poorly can be a double disappointment. If an old fave is going to be resurrected, it will work only if it's done right. And as much as I enjoyed Madison last year, I don't know if would they have the firepower in the horn line to really do justice to a complete rendition of Malaga. As I say, last year's show was fun, I like the new unis, but let's face it: the departure of Scott Boerma punched a hole in that corps that has yet to fully heal.

However, if they really are planning to dispense with the theme-driven approach and deliver a smack-upside-the-head wailer of a show this summer...Sign. Me. Up.

Does anyone else feel the legacy of the Madison Scouts is getting more and more wrapped around their brass line?

It seems like so many of the shows they have produced recently (last 15 years or so) have been brass first and everything else second place...

and when they have done well of late...I'm thinking 1995 and 1999 in particular, did they win a caption? I know I could go look through some historic guide, but I am just curious. Thoughts? Maybe brass first, battery second, pit and guard as also rans?

Does anyone else feel the legacy of the Madison Scouts is getting more and more wrapped around their brass line?

It seems like so many of the shows they have produced recently (last 15 years or so) have been brass first and everything else second place...

and when they have done well of late...I'm thinking 1995 and 1999 in particular, did they win a caption? I know I could go look through some historic guide, but I am just curious. Thoughts? Maybe brass first, battery second, pit and guard as also rans?

I'm not much of a caption analyzer, but I have been a Madison watcher for almost 30 years now. Yeah, their guard had a unique style and athleticism that was a big part of what made Madison Madison. But really, when has it ever not been about the horn line? (Of course, to this horn player's ears, every corps is (or should be) about the horn line.)

But really, when has it ever not been about the horn line?

I was thinking the same thing. At least since 1973 it has always been about the horn line in Madison.

(and this is coming from someone who marched 2 years in the Madison drum line)

First off, when you cut me I bleed green. That being said, I have heard all the music that the corps has played this year. It is up in demand and they are up to the challenge. There are many " WOW" and/or "POW" moment. The guard numbers are way up from were we left off last year. Ken's visual staff are the" BERRYS !"

These kids can do nothing about the past so let it go ! PLEASE !?!?!?

So just sit back and enjoy this years show or not . It take's all kinds. Your favorate corps might be the " Podonk Red Rays". I might not care for them. I can tell you that, you will not hear me ranting about what they should do just because I don't like it. That is out of respect for others, which alot of people have forgoten about.

Bill Leslie

Edited by Bill L.