Spirit 2009 Program Title Announced

The idea with including the pre and post show ideas ion the show announcement is not to suggest that Spirit will be doing all of this. It is asserting the idea that the focus of the show is the music, and the driving force behind the music is to entertain the spectators, as a concert would. The design staff has elected to bypass all hidden meanings and pretentious subtleties that have begun to plague the activity, and instead do as much as possible to produce a high-energy, exciting, and entertaining product. Spirit's 2009 mission is to turn the focus of the product from pleasing and fooling the judges to entertaining and pleasing the crowd, much like a concert without the burden of being judged does.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh....

I think it's lame. I think it's lame because they are literally telling us there is everything from pre-show prep to an encore, isn't an encore something that is earned?

I mean, do we literally have to announce the show to tell people where they are going to feel the excitement.

I for one wouldn't want to hear/see an encore if the show sucked, but whatever, I guess since this thread isn't about Madison or the Cadets we all need to have a rosey view of things.

But for me, yeah, doing Kansas and giving a description like that...it's high school marching band, even with the brilliant writing I am sure Scott Boerma is putting to this show.

Hmmm.....I hope that your attitude isn't this bad in person, but then again its understandable how one could be so bold on an internet forum. Since you are not interested in knowing anything about this show and have already made up your mind that it "sucked"--please do not come on here during the summer and ask what Spirit was doing during their show.

GET IT SPIRIT!!!!

Meh....

I think it's lame. I think it's lame because they are literally telling us there is everything from pre-show prep to an encore, isn't an encore something that is earned?

I mean, do we literally have to announce the show to tell people where they are going to feel the excitement.

I for one wouldn't want to hear/see an encore if the show sucked, but whatever, I guess since this thread isn't about Madison or the Cadets we all need to have a rosey view of things.

But for me, yeah, doing Kansas and giving a description like that...it's high school marching band, even with the brilliant writing I am sure Scott Boerma is putting to this show.

Man, did you get cut by Spirit or something?

Fail.

As far as the encore goes, I've been wanting a corps to do an idea I've had for a long time! I really want to see a corps have an awesome ending at around the 10 minute mark, and then march off the field, drum tap and all. Three yard lines in, have the whole hornline turn, blast a power chord, and then wail out one more loud loud loud chart.

Man, that'd be awesome! I hope Spirit does something like that!

See: Blue Devils, 1988.

Kansas show, right? That means "Carry On" has to be the "encore." Am I wrong?

Would make sense...I mean, its one of the most familiar pieces, and would be great as an ending to the show...I'd love to see that

I say, cool.

Seems they are sticking to their initial line of thought announced back several months ago. Entertain with the familiar, but as they seem to be asserting, in a modern day drum corps design kind of way. I don't mind drum corps shows, band shows, theater, movies, etc. that challenge me to think or see deep into a production, but I will admit that when a show is only 10 or less minutes long (drum corps, WGI, etc) I do not want to work so hard to just enjoy.

When I go back and look at all of their announcements this off-season, seems they have chosen to be brief, pretty much to the point, and not overly promoting of themselves.

Do It Up Spirit!

Man I hate Kansas but Colt Cadets did a nice job with it the other year so I’m trying to keep an open mind.

I could see this ending up as a Cadets 2004, massive design failure as a bunch of old timers pushing 70’s prog rock on kids that really could connect with it or sell

Be cool if they VK /spinal Tapped it upped a bit

Pre show, someone in the mic ‘check, check is this thing on’…then fixing to play,

Mullets everywhere and those giant pocket combs in the back pocket, rushing the stage, groupies with laments attacking the band, the ever popular lighter salute during the balled, the wankerish drum solo, the epic closer with a ‘good night Indy’...maybe even a drowning in a poll of one’s vomit

So a comical junior high burn out meets excessive indulgent rock star show a la mid 70s

The Dawg thinks this all sounds good to him. Bust some great music, have some GE (please Spirit), and be clean.

Who doesnt like concerts? A friend who heard the brass at last camp said it was great music and not what any of the people are saying it would be like.

He said there were melodies all over the place that you recognized, but it came across kind of like an overture kinda thing, though the ballad was more straight forward. Said the horns were making some volume happen to and that his vet buddies were digging the new brass dudes and the show alot. They said the vibe and organization stuff was very different from last year and was really good. Rock on.

Man, did you get cut by Spirit or something?

Fail.

Hmmm, I asked that same exact question of a different person who was constantly slamming a different corps and I got beat over the head by many on here. Sounds like there is an absolute double standard by the "regular" DCP'ers when it comes to the "handling" of Spirit versus other corps. Maybe elmhurstmusiced isn't that far off...................