General Butler Vagabonds

Ken

I don't think so.... I was on the championship panel both those years and I don't ever remember judging Ft. Edward... do you have a recap?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1984 Curt was already playing with Steel City.

1984, Curt Hawkins would have been 26-27, he graduated in 1976. In 1984 I was 22 and he's 4 years older than me.

General Butler Vagabonds never competed in DCA, so I have to go with the Ft. Edwards deal.

Also, they have only had one corps director since inception ion 1966, Andy Yaracs Jr., DCI HOF member.

The whole Nightstorm deal was about finacial support, they let Andy Jr. put his corps name on them.

I can say without a doubt that GBV have never folded since 1966, maybe extremely inactive, but never out.

I don't think so.... I was on the championship panel both those years and I don't ever remember judging Ft. Edward... do you have a recap?

Well, the recap only says "Vagabonds", but contest coverage in the drum corps press states they were from Fort Edward, NY. So does Fran Haring's voice on the DCA prelim recordings. I have recordings of both Butler and Fort Edward in both years, and they played different music, so that is proof positive.

One thing I've noticed over time is that you can't trust anyone's memory (including mine) about 25-year-old details of drum corps history.

while I still tell some of the best stories in drum corps, believe me... I know better than to trust my memory...

If everyone is in agreement, I will change the historical records... but I need to be 100% sure to do it...

anyone else care to chime in? considering my high opinion of Ken's input - I would say we are near changing it to Ft. Edward Vagabonds... but I would swear Andy did bring GBV to DCA at least once... can anyone check for sure with Andy Jr or someone else close to that organization?

I would bet that Eddie Reese is a person that knows something about the Ft Edward Vagabonds...

Reese - Fort Edward... works for me - Eddie where are you?

I talked with a member of GBV who marched since the early 70's and aged out in 1985 as drum major. She says that they never competed at DCA.

Anybody think of asking Riggie Laus?