General Butler Vagabonds

,...........so I was looking at the DCI world class threads and stumbled upon a stat where GBV placed in the top 25 in 1975,..............which had me start looking at their ovarall stats on CorpsReps,....................come to find that in 1985 they competed at both DCI and DCA finals events, and fielded in both circuits in 1984.................was this the same corps, or did they field two corps that year?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GBV DCA corps followed all the rules and did not compete in DCI for the 12 months prior to doing DCA... They competed all aged in 1984 and 1985... I do not remember any conflict ... I'm also pretty sure the equipment was all the same... so the jr and sr corps did not compete in the same years... I was just a judge during those years and remember jugding them... they were small but you could always count on a well written show... they would have done very well in current class A competition... I would be very interested to know if someone can prove me wrong.

GBV DCA corps followed all the rules and did not compete in DCI for the 12 months prior to doing DCA... They competed all aged in 1984 and 1985... I do not remember any conflict ... I'm also pretty sure the equipment was all the same... so the jr and sr corps did not compete in the same years... I was just a judge during those years and remember jugding them... they were small but you could always count on a well written show... they would have done very well in current class A competition... I would be very interested to know if someone can prove me wrong.

snip from CorpsReps

DCI Placement

1985 212 64.600

DCA Placement

1985 15 55.850

Edited by Gary Matczak

Corpsreps also has GBV posting scores in DCI 'home' shows in 1984 (American International) and 1985 (Butler, PA), presumably in competition with other junior corps.

If so, that was an amazing whoops that would deserve an ** in the history books...

212 dci corps in that year? sounds awfully high...

can anyone else confirm this from that area? or someone who marched? did they have 2 corps? now you got my curiosity up...

funny thing is I was probably at American Open Butler that year with Patriots.

If so, that was an amazing whoops that would deserve an ** in the history books...

212 dci corps in that year? sounds awfully high...

can anyone else confirm this from that area? or someone who marched? did they have 2 corps? now you got my curiosity up...

funny thing is I was probably at American Open Butler that year with Patriots.

I think 212 means they came in 12th in Div II ... looks like there may have been a Sr. version of GB that competed in the 84 and 85 DCA prelims ... no mention of rep or other placements ... also no mention of the Sr. venture on their web site (in fact, not much history at all ... think the DCA was duped for two years? ... YIKES!!! ...

Andy "where's all the PA guys on this one?" Lisko

Edited by ajlisko

Do the DCA recap sheets just have "Vagabonds" written on them? If so, might this have the Fort Edwards Vagabonds?

Ron (aka srcorps.com) has 84/85 listed as General Butler Vagabonds.

Thought the General Butler Vagabond name was connected to a late 90s/early 00s corps also. Soemwhere I saw the same GBV-Nightstorm or something like that. Problem is there are also the names Nightstorm (Night Storm?) and Alleghany Nightstorm so no idea if same corps or name got changed around. (Bad as Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots/Westshoremen :smile: ).

84/85 definitely GBV - I judged both championships

Nightstorm competed 2 years 2000/2001 then in 2002 they merged wtih GBV for one year and competed as GBV Nightstorm