girl cavaliers?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I marched Cavies in 84 I was many pounds lighter, and about 20 years later, and after reaching the point that my corps jacket wouldn't (couldn't) zip up, I was given a new jacket by my family as a birthday present. They put alot of time into contacting Jeff F, who after verifying that I indeed was a FMM, allowed them to purchase a newer (larger) jacket. I promptly removed my old patches, transferred them to my new jacket.......and presented my old jacket to my 13 year old daughter. Which she wore a few times around her marching band, until she received her own corps jacket after marching CorpsVets with me in 06. She was proud to wear my old jacket and I was proud to see her in it - another moment of connection (which are in short supply with teenagers). Go ahead and rip into me for going against "the rules", but I don't regret it - any time I can share my love of drum corps with my family is golden.

When I marched Cavies in 84 I was many pounds lighter, and about 20 years later, and after reaching the point that my corps jacket wouldn't (couldn't) zip up, I was given a new jacket by my family as a birthday present. They put alot of time into contacting Jeff F, who after verifying that I indeed was a FMM, allowed them to purchase a newer (larger) jacket. I promptly removed my old patches, transferred them to my new jacket.......and presented my old jacket to my 13 year old daughter. Which she wore a few times around her marching band, until she received her own corps jacket after marching CorpsVets with me in 06. She was proud to wear my old jacket and I was proud to see her in it - another moment of connection (which are in short supply with teenagers). Go ahead and rip into me for going against "the rules", but I don't regret it - any time I can share my love of drum corps with my family is golden.

I think that was perfectly appropriate. Have you considered adding something to the older jacket that would indicate she's the child of an FMM?

What did you play in 84? We marched against each other.

Have you considered adding something to the older jacket that would indicate she's the child of an FMM?

What did you play in 84? We marched against each other.

That's an interesting idea - anything in particular you are thinking of? I'm drawing a blank.

Marched lead sop. Couldn't get enough of LaFiesta - GOOOOD STUFF!!!

That's an interesting idea - anything in particular you are thinking of? I'm drawing a blank.

Marched lead sop. Couldn't get enough of LaFiesta - GOOOOD STUFF!!!

Thanks! it was always a fun one to play.

Re the jacket...check me on this. Aside from the Cavie script on the back (which I don't think has significantly changed in decades), the jacket's basically blank, correct? Especially nolw that you moved the patches.

If your name's on it like it is on most of ours, you could add on something like "lead soprano 1984" (presuming that's not already there) and "father of (daughter's name and corps affiliation)"

If your info's NOT on there, then put her name, and "Daughter of 1984 Cavalier lead soprano, Larry Rouse"

Just a thought. Since she's a corps vet herself, and probably was raised hearing your corps war stories, I'd guess she'll understand the almost scared nature of a corps member jacket.

Edited by 84BDsop

I think that's pretty cool. If someone ever asked her where she got the jacket she could always say "It was my dad's - he marched with the Cavaliers". That borders on poetic justice. SWEET! :tongue:

presented my old jacket to my 13 year old daughter. Which she wore a few times

You, my friend, are under! :tongue:

Cavies and Madison tended to have tons of women trailing them in the 80s....trust me.

And '70s. I was one of them! :tongue:

She was designated a "guest performer" because Madison Scouts by definition do not have female members. That is the charter of the corps and they didnt want to open the door for problems down the road.

As for whether she has a corps jacket or not I dont know but I know she was accorded a very special status in the hearts of the marching members. She was certainly treated as well as any member.

not to continue the argument but as a "guest performer" did she have to pay member/tour fees? If she did....then in fact, she is a member and should be eligible for a jacket. If she truly was a "guest performer" and not paying dues than she does not need a members jacket.

Edited by myopinion