World Guards Folding?

GuarDiva09

funny thing. where i'm from, and where i taught, we did everything from writing drill, designing flags, sewing them, same for costumes, painted our tarp, wrote our choreography ... we did everything. and we got paid nothing. we weren't spectacular, but the kids didn't have to pay for anything. it was only when i moved, i realized people out sourced for each of those things, and pay for them! no wonder people can make money doing guard for a living out here -- and its no wonder people have no money. it was pretty much my life for ten years -- helping at fundraisers, staying all night to finish sewing things -- i'm out of that for the time being, but if people learned how to do more, maybe they'd pay for less.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a heat cutter, then you don't have to do french seams. It seals the edges (just like a selvage) when you cut the pieces so they won't fray. If you order a flag from the Band Hall, that is exactly what they do.

Every flag I've ever had that WASN't sewn with french seams was a total wreck by the end of the season.

Get a heat cutter, then you don't have to do french seams. It seals the edges (just like a selvage) when you cut the pieces so they won't fray. If you order a flag from the Band Hall, that is exactly what they do.

That's my point. The flags I've ordered from Band Hall have not held up well. Does a heat cutter work on non-lame' fabric as well?

Ok its that time of year when you hear about world guards not coming back out anymore.

So far the list is

Corona: who will be missed more than anything

The Knights: Another well respected guard gone

Zydeco: Apparently this was their last year as well

anyone else?

Anyone coming back???

Here's something new! Synergy in Arts for Youth based in Tampa, FL is launching Synergy Arts Independent. SA Independent will compete in FFCC and WGI in 2010. We will have educational seminars planned for the summer and auditions beginning in the fall 2009. Check us out at www.synergyinarts.org.

Here's something new! Synergy in Arts for Youth based in Tampa, FL is launching Synergy Arts Independent. SA Independent will compete in FFCC and WGI in 2010. We will have educational seminars planned for the summer and auditions beginning in the fall 2009. Check us out at www.synergyinarts.org.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...... interesting :thumbup:

That's my point. The flags I've ordered from Band Hall have not held up well. Does a heat cutter work on non-lame' fabric as well?

Really? I've never ordered Band Hall flags, but we use the same method they do, and our flags never fall apart. We'll have to do an occasional repair if we get a little hole or something, but they hold up really well. You can heat cut lame or poly silk. It doesn't work on real silk. If you use it for lame, you should also fray check the seams, because lame just doesn't want to hold up.