Why so few new champions

Apparently they had 2000Cadet's cat! Says it all for me

Puppet

Well, chopped up into small pieces and sauteed in olive oil and garlic with some veggies it makes a very nice meal! :worthy:

Maybe a little fresh chopped rosemary and a chiffonade of basil would be nice too.

:worthy:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strike zone anyone??

Two stories I recall reading in my youth about the history of baseball from a famous umpire (might have been Bill Klem...that name comes to mind on this)...

A player once slid into home and the umpire (Klem?) signalled him out but for some reason yelled 'Safe'...when the player asked which it was the ump said something like..."You, me and the catcher heard me yell Safe, but 50,000 saw me signal you Out, so you're Out!"

The other one was another close play. The player slid into home, and the ump did not signal or say anything at all. After a few seconds one of the players asked if the runner was safe or out. The umpire said something like..."He isn't anything until I say he is!"

I agree to a certain limit. In business, if you are a junior member you are hesitant to make your opinion known (it's natural - you don't want to rock the boat!) but I remember that my Dad once told me that the squeaky wheel does get the grease. If they (those who don't have the years behind them, say) speak up and speak up often enough with enough conviction and solid acumen behind their convictions, someone might listen and decisions may become more democratic.

Puppet

Do you think that the people making the votes as they do are not voting as they desire...as they think best? IMO the more junior members would be likely to make evern MORE changes, as the older corps admins retire.

IMO the corps admins ARE voting their convictions and doing what they think best. It may differ from what you or I want on specfic issues, but that's not their problem.

Maybe instead of the best corps winning, we should give medals to everyone and then all participants could feel like winners.

Blah blah blah.

I like it that some corps struggle and learn tough lessons sometimes...mistakes are generally our best teacher in life...because sometimes...in a place where no one saw it happening...excellence takes hold and propels an organization further than anyone would have seen coming...thank you Blue Stars and Troopers. You both proved me wrong and I couldn't be happier.

I like part of it has to be tradition. Those at the top know what to do, and how to do it year in and year out. It's just how the orginizations operate.

Although for some odd reason finishing in second the year before doesn't seem to always help moving into first. That spot seems to be held by third and fourth place finishers, who have the best record for jumping up into first the next year.

Odd occurrence, but it does help to fight the slotting arguments.

Two stories I recall reading in my youth about the history of baseball from a famous umpire (might have been Bill Klem...that name comes to mind on this)...

A player once slid into home and the umpire (Klem?) signalled him out but for some reason yelled 'Safe'...when the player asked which it was the ump said something like..."You, me and the catcher heard me yell Safe, but 50,000 saw me signal you Out, so you're Out!"

The other one was another close play. The player slid into home, and the ump did not signal or say anything at all. After a few seconds one of the players asked if the runner was safe or out. The umpire said something like..."He isn't anything until I say he is!"

There was another ump whose name escapes me at the moment who used to tell a story about Rod Carew. Now Rod Carew once went an entire season without once being called out on strikes. He struck out swinging on occasion but was never had strike 3 called. So this ump said that when Rod Carew was at the plate and a pitch was close to the edge of the strikezone he just figured, "Well if Carew didn't swing at it then it must have been out of the strikezone" so he called it a ball.

Somehow I doubt he gave Reggie Jackson the same benefit of the doubt .... :worthy:

Yes, according to George's latest blog entry...

So according to Hop, the Cadets were close to bankruptcy after the 1985 season. That's AFTER their three-peat. How do you incur alot of debt and get close to bankruptcy? You spend alot of money. So it's not far-fetched to believe that the Cadets wouldn't have won 3 championships in a row in the 80's if they didn't spend alot of money.

Sorry, but I am not convinced. One NBA referee determined hundreds of game outcomes and was caught. Pro sports is much more subjective than viewers are led to believe.

That ref did what he did because he decided to let someone pay him off. He didn't do so because of politics. What he did was WAY worse.

Strike zone anyone??

Nope. In theory, the strike zone in baseball is not subjective. It's objective. It's just difficult to call it consistently because the strike zone is an invisible floating rectangular box that changes constantly based on the batter's size and movements.

There was another ump whose name escapes me at the moment who used to tell a story about Rod Carew. Now Rod Carew once went an entire season without once being called out on strikes. He struck out swinging on occasion but was never had strike 3 called. So this ump said that when Rod Carew was at the plate and a pitch was close to the edge of the strikezone he just figured, "Well if Carew didn't swing at it then it must have been out of the strikezone" so he called it a ball.

Somehow I doubt he gave Reggie Jackson the same benefit of the doubt .... :worthy:

OK so situations like this come into play because of how I mentioned before about the difficulty of calling strikes. And so this example of "giving someone the benefit of the doubt" is an umpire letting politics decide a call that should be completely objective. It's not right, but it does happen.

My point is that baseball's rules are objective, whereas much of DCI's judging sheets are subjective and open to interpretation. It's supposed to be that way, it's known to be that way. DCI judges are SUPPOSED to base their scores on opinion (particularly GE judges).

Edited by madscout96

You have to also consider that World Cup is every four years. So either there have been "4 times" as many FIFA champs, or, if they played every year, there would be 4 times as many trophies in the same 7 places. Maybe another France (2000?) would have won sometime, but generally speaking, the same 7 are basically going to win that due to money, population and general lack of other widespread popular sports.

That's another issue in the US...LOTS of money...I mean, look at the activity WE are talking about!! Less than 1% of the population has ever heard of drum corps and yet look at how much money it takes to participate, etc. And that's the way things are here.

People here have any number of things to go participate in or cheer for. Money ain't a problem, generally speaking. And public schools offer many other options from team sports (football) to individual sports (tennis) and so forth. So, to each his own, more or less.

Doesn't really answer the question, but interesting points on the periphery to consider while chatting.