Best 2nd Place Show?

Dang... just missed it. Would've voted '89 Phantom.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad I missed this one.

Would have been down to 1980 27th, 1987 and 1988 SCV, and 1989 Phantom

1987 SCV, if I had gotten in before the poll closed.

That's a vote?!

And don't worry - that's why we're voting for 2nd. The judges didn't get it either.

I guess they just weren't ffffinggreat enough.

You still wear jeans?

Puppet

Hate to burst your bubble, but there were only a handful of people that "got it" back then. Today the show would be a winner. Back then the common reaction was, WTF?

Well - this goes to show the "older" 2nd place corps don't stand a chance. '78 Phantom was a better 2nd place corps than '89. It is not my vote (27th is) - but the older corps don't get any respect for sure.

Um, I think the kids would say that 89 now falls under the "old" category as well... ;)

I don't want to step on toes of elders, in this case Pooh Bear.

84 Blue Devils -

Consider this. Every member of the Blue Devils as well as every member of the Garfield Cadets went home a World Champion. Only one corps went home with the DCI Title, the other went home with the captions.

Blue Devils horn line members tied for High Brass. 62 World Champs in that line.

Blue Devils drum line went home with the High Percussion honors.

Blue Devils Color Guard went home with the High Color Guard trophy.

Every member wearing a Blue Devil uniform won their caption. There was no section left to give a caption too that didn't impact our score. It came down to the overall package. M&M and G.E. G.E. Percussion....4th place (IIRC). That's where things fell apart, and I don't believe that placement was correct. But...that was the anomaly.

That's not to say Garfield wasn't an incredible drum corps, they were. The 84 Garfield Cadets pushed the 84 Blue Devils during that season. The 84 Blue Devils never stopped believing they were the top drum corps and never gave up the hunt for that title. Talk about a drum corps not intimidated by competition or fearing to take a loss. The last 3 weeks of the season was one on fire performance after another, each better than before in that march to the trophy leading to the victory over Garfield prior to Nat's.

Nothing was held back for the finals night performance.

That was an amazing year to be a Blue Devil. We all were very lucky to have been able to be part of that drum corps and organization.

no toe steppin' involved...LOL 1981 BD same case except 9th in drums.

I loved the 1984 blue devils - great drum and G BUGLE corps

Hey Pooh....

This is me...("Rob Brown").

Fellow 81 BD Pooh Bear alumni.

I could write an equally comparable diatribe for the 81 Blue Devils. The other close call I had. The 83 Blue Devils, deserved that placement. 81 and 84.....can't convince me that that was a 2nd place performance....sorry.

I'm in the Pooh Bear camp.

Rob

Edited by TrainWreck

84 Blue Devils -

Blue Devils horn line members tied for High Brass. 62 World Champs in that line.

Rob....get it right....SCV and Garfield tied US....we didn't tie with anyone! :worthy:

I still can't believe I was ever good enough to be in that brass line....Jack must've been desperate for a 4th sop when I auditioned!