Barbara Maroney for Cadets HOF

I can imagine...

That last note...19 seconds on one breath....Rock of Gibralter-solid...doesn't even show any strain. A true Master of the Mello, she was.

Watch her 83 solo as well...and note something else. Her horn is supported entirely by her playing hand, as her left glove was simply tied around the bottom of the horn (remember, she was born with no left arm from the elbow down). At least in 84 she had a prosthetic claw gripping the valve casing, so her left arm could share the load, but in 83 that was not the case....and yet...solid solid solid.

That last note...19 seconds on one breath....Rock of Gibralter-solid...doesn't even show any strain. A true Master of the Mello, she was.

Watch her 83 solo as well...and note something else. Her horn is supported entirely by her playing hand, as her left glove was simply tied around the bottom of the horn (remember, she was born with no left arm from the elbow down). At least in 84 she had a prosthetic claw gripping the valve casing, so her left arm could share the load, but in 83 that was not the case....and yet...solid solid solid.

Wow, that is incredible. Quite a testament for someone to even be able to march drum corps in the first place like that. Then to become one of the best mello soloists of all time, quite an incredible accomplishment for sure. She must've been one special person. I wish I could play mello and play it that well...I'm just a lowly percussionist though, haha.

Edited by drumcorpsfan4567

And remember, all this amazing breath control was while marching a really, really difficult show. She didn't saunter out, hang around waving to the crowd and catch her breath, the way some corps' soloists do. Zingali almost always dropped his soloists off and picked them up again with a form and the effect was seamless. So she had all the demand of what was at the time the most difficult drill on the field, and yet she was able to come out an nail these beautiful solos, night after night.

An absolutely amazing talent.

• Like 1

And remember, all this amazing breath control was while marching a really, really difficult show. She didn't saunter out, hang around waving to the crowd and catch her breath, the way some corps' soloists do. Zingali almost always dropped his soloists off and picked them up again with a form and the effect was seamless. So she had all the demand of what was at the time the most difficult drill on the field, and yet she was able to come out an nail these beautiful solos, night after night.

An absolutely amazing talent.

I remember talking about her back then with some friends of mine, all with utter admiration and awe. It's like as many possible challenges one could think of combined to conspire against her success as a soloist, yet she overcame them all with grace, power and a quiet dignity. Not by saying that she did, but simply by doing all that she did. Truly inspiring!

• Like 1

It sounds like there needs to be the organization of a mello coup in full support for Barb in the '10 HOF!!!

There are very few members in Drum Corps history that are so widely recognized by name. Many instructors that become name known but in Barb's case it was because of her on the field performance. She was truly incredible!!!

When you say Barbara Maroney do you ever have to clarify as the mello soloist from Garfield in '83 and '84??

Edited by General Blunt
  • Like 1

It sounds like there needs to be the organization of a mello coup in full support for Barb in the '10 HOF!!!

There are very few members in Drum Corps history that are so widely recognized by name. Many instructors that become name known but in Barb's case it was because of her on the field performance. She was truly incredible!!!

When you say Barbara Maroney do you ever have to clarify as the mello soloist from Garfield in '83 and '84??

You do for those who didn't march around her time....for those of our vintage.....NOPE.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Ok....necropost here....but the Cadets are openinig nomionations for the new Cadet HOF class, and Barbara still ain't in.

I resubmitted my letter from page 1 of this thread (with some minor updates) to dr.eric.santo@gmail.com

Time for the rest to step up...especially you Gahfield alums!

• Like 1

For the love of God, I graduated college with Barb, played in Wind Ensemble and Marching Band with her, came to really get to know and respect her as a musician and a person of grace, kindness, humility, and great character, and she's NOT in the Cadets HoF yet?

For Lord's sake! That should have been done decades ago!

Since I'm not an alumni, some of you who are all better get off your collective tuckses and do something. :rock:

Edited by BigW

For the love of God, I graduated college with Barb, played in Wind Ensemble and Marching Band with her, came to really get to know and respect her as a musician and a person of grace, kindness, humility, and great character, and she's NOT in the Cadets HoF yet?

For Lord's sake! That should have been done decades ago!

Since I'm not an alumni, some of you who are all better get off your collective tuckses and do something. :rock:

There have been great players throughout the Cadet History, those who spent 12 or 13 Years as a member BITD .From what I understand , does not fit in any criteria for HOF. From what I understand it has to do with above and beyond being a member, staff, volunteer etc etc. Even though some have maybe even been the best of the best going through the corps maybe it's not above and beyond.