Last minute openings

Being a minority myself, that sounds like interesting discussion. Of course, can't hijack this thread or talk about anything non-drum corps related. I know Cadets need strong players. Too many vets in the line to loosen the slack on quality.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good friend of mine is a single mom whose daughter is just completing her first year at Harvard. She got a HUGE scholarship. My friend was paying around 5K for each semester...tuition, room and board! Well, it came time to pay the 5K for the spring semester and the school just told her "never mind!!!" She had gotten a 4.0 for the fall semster (Bio major...pre-med), so the school waived ALL of her costs for spring! :tongue:

Thanks for telling that story!

A good friend of mine is a single mom whose daughter is just completing her first year at Harvard. She got a HUGE scholarship. My friend was paying around 5K for each semester...tuition, room and board! Well, it came time to pay the 5K for the spring semester and the school just told her "never mind!!!" She had gotten a 4.0 for the fall semster (Bio major...pre-med), so the school waived ALL of her costs for spring! :tongue:

Most super-expensive liberal arts colleges have 100% "meet the need" financial aid policies, so this isn't a surpise. Of course one has to get in, and THAT is an accomplishment! If you get in, you'll get the financial aid, period. It might be loans + grants + merit scholariship + minority scholarship + work study + [whatever else they have these days], but it will get paid for, somehow.

I graduated from Oberlin Conservatory in [errr, a while ago]. I received a $100,000 education for $2000 out of my pocket + $10,000 in student loans. The rest was work study (about $4000 overall) and merit scholarships (bass trombone) . My work study was two things: 1) Mop the floors of the dining hall 3 meals/week, and 2) be a "ringer" in the choral conducting class (since choral conducting students are usually vocalists, and vocalists can't sight read :xmas:)

My point is: although I like to believe that the merit scholarship was there because I was such an awesome bass trombonist, it was more likely a function of my money situation! (umm, didn't have any) There were much more talented folks than I, but they came from families of privilege...they paid full rate 'cuz they could afford to.

Lucky for me, merit was based purely on my ability to play the trombone, and was NOT based on $$ nor academic criteria. :tongue:

PS: I worked as a financial aid counselor in Ohio in the early 90s, going into the homes of college-bound youth. The parents were always shocked when I proved to them it would be cheaper (or nothing!) to send their kids to a place like Oberlin (100% meet the need) than it would be to Ohio State (about 65% meet the need at the time), assuming they have average or lower incomes...and assuming the kids can get into places like Oberlin.