Last minute openings

If you crunched out even your top figure of $3000 and divide it by the hours of group and individual instruction between November and August and it comes out to about 1325 hours of instruction plus transportation and meals. Not a bad deal to me.

Are you serious.

You be me and try to come up with that money.

Please, this is my invitation to prove that this money can be called "not a big deal".

Edited by AlbionNY Drum Line

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he said not a "BAD" deal, fyi. the cost of instruction per hour is stellar, as well as transportation and food.

Are you serious.

You be me and try to come up with that money.

Please, this is my invitation to prove that this money can be called "not a big deal".

My 16 year old did it this year on his own. He worked as a Customer Convenience Clerk (bag boy) at our local grocery store 20-30 hours a week. He paid off his whole summer this past weekend. Of course, he gave up alot of things that his friends did, like movies, eating at the local Sonic, getting a nice car, etc., etc. But, to him, it is all worth it.

The reason why this has become a problem, is multi faceted.

4. The economy is always an issue to consider. If you can't pay for it, you can't do it. Jobs are harder to come by and most potential members now do not do the fundraising they use to do in order to pay for their summer activity. Most corps cost anywhere between 2,150.00 - 3,000.00 for a summer tour (fees, dues, boot camp, etc.). This is not including trips to Europe that some corps will do for a portion of the summer. The once "semi-affordable" venue for members to march is now becoming so expensive that they are being turned off by it.

When I aged out with the 27th Lancers [1976]; tour fees were a whopping $150 dollars and that year we went all the way WEST and back. Tour fees today just take my breath away. Yes, these kids need help. Even sponsoring some of the kids there are those who still can't participate during the summer. And let's not forget money is not the only reason some of these kids don't march. I have seen many kids sent home from training camp because their bodies just couldn't take the demand of the show.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

And just wait until everyone's "Spring Training" coming up in a few weeks. There will be serious attrition either through injury or "WTF did I get myself into?"

It will happen to EVERY SINGLE CORPS OUT THERE, BAR NONE.

This.

Every corps will have the Bitter Betty and Sobbing Sally that leave 4 days into everydays. Apparently they'd rather spend their summer sitting on the couch at home watching Ren and Stimpy eating Cheetos and playing with themself.

My guess is that every corps, regardless of placement, has holes. Probably a good way into the summer.

I want to say BD carried a trumpet hole the entire summer in 2003.

Edited by contrajedi8

My 16 year old did it this year on his own. He worked as a Customer Convenience Clerk (bag boy) at our local grocery store 20-30 hours a week. He paid off his whole summer this past weekend. Of course, he gave up alot of things that his friends did, like movies, eating at the local Sonic, getting a nice car, etc., etc. But, to him, it is all worth it.

I work two jobs as well, but also am a full time student. All my money goes to where I am currently marching.

Next...$2000 to $3000 is a bargain compared to what families fork out for a club sport, volleyball or other "ball" camps lasting only a week.

Hmm, that may be a little off track. Your average week long sports camp won't run you anywhere CLOSE to 3 grand.

Next...$2000 to $3000 is a bargain compared to what families fork out for a club sport, volleyball or other "ball" camps lasting only a week.

How many parents send their kids who are 18+ to those camps?

Most kids are probably lucky if their parents can pay for their college schooling, much less other expensive adventures (drum corps).

I agree drum corps is a good deal for what you get, but the bottom line is that it is still a substantial amount of money.

Most kids are probably lucky if their parents can pay for their college schooling, much less other expensive adventures (drum corps).

I agree drum corps is a good deal for what you get, but the bottom line is that it is still a substantial amount of money.

And that's why you work hard in high school, get good grades, and get good scholarships to college to help relieve some of that burden, as well!

Just a couple of points for clarification.

First, it's been quite a few years since a corps has done the Europe thing. Cavies considered it and backed away and now it appears it will most likely be a thing of the past as logistically, it's just a nightmare.

I believe the time involved in committing to drum corps is the most seldom mentioned and most likely the largest single underlying factor in why members don't march after obtaining a spot. In short...they vastly misjudge the time committment being asked.

If you crunched out even your top figure of $3000 and divide it by the hours of group and individual instruction between November and August and it comes out to about 1325 hours of instruction plus transportation and meals. Not a bad deal to me.

Tom I actually was so close to saying.....omg I agree with him for once.....then came the $2,000 to $3,0000 argrument. Wether or not its a bargain doesn't really matter if the kid doesn't have the money. It is expensive and is a reason many kids don't end up marching.