Tongue Stop vs. Breath Release

Spandy

Is there room for tongue stops in the all-brass activity of drum corps? I've always been taught to release notes by breathing in, and not to use my tongue to cut off the air stream. Does it depend on the type of music you're playing, or the venue you're in (i.e. football stadium for field shows, on the street for parades)?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there room for tongue stops in the all-brass activity of drum corps? I've always been taught to release notes by breathing in, and not to use my tongue to cut off the air stream. Does it depend on the type of music you're playing, or the venue you're in (i.e. football stadium for field shows, on the street for parades)?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks!

I have no degree in music nor do I perscribe to know techniques. I will say this after playing trumpet, bugle, etc. for 54 years....just play the horn.

I'm sure someone with a wall covered with degrees will jump in here and give you the answer you think you need but, I say again ........just play the horn.

When I was director and DM of the Thunderbirds (both in Meadville Pa. and later in Erie) aside from having people getting the notes right I told the horn line........"anyone can play notes.....even a monkey.............play every note like you're telling a story". Isn't that what music is all about anyway....?

Just my $.02.....

I have no degree in music nor do I perscribe to know techniques. I will say this after playing trumpet, bugle, etc. for 54 years....just play the horn.

I'm sure someone with a wall covered with degrees will jump in here and give you the answer you think you need but, I say again ........just play the horn.

When I was director and DM of the Thunderbirds (both in Meadville Pa. and later in Erie) aside from having people getting the notes right I told the horn line........"anyone can play notes.....even a monkey.............play every note like you're telling a story". Isn't that what music is all about anyway....?

Just my $.02.....

I agree and besides, breathing in through the horn sounds gross.

PS. only smack the release real hard with your tongue when you're absolutely sure the director will hear it. TeeHeeHee.

I think this question is a little too black and white for the answer. What does the music require? Generally you're not going to stop it short just because the note won't ring out if you do, but it's an issue of interpretation--in this case, how the brass staff wants it interpreted.

You usually only see a tongue stop in certain jazz styles. In a classical style rarely will you ever use a tongue stop. The "proper" way to stop a note is to just stop the air. Sure you can breath in, that can help to ensure that you release in time. Tongue stops usually sound awful... unless in the right style of music, which is almost always jazz. Tongue stops do not allow a note to ring... you won't see them much in drum corps... it's either a "breath" or stop the air release... or a hit a pitch a fall off of it (aka BD, Crossmen of the past, and Madison Scouts) :tongue:

It's always been: no air, no sound. Even on double or triple tonguing passages, the tongue doesn't stop the sound it controls the rhythm of the notes.

Puppet

Definitely use an "air-stop"/short breath in. Stopping with your tongue will clip the sound and prevent the note from resonating like it should- unless that's what the brass staff is telling you to do, in which case they have some... interesting ideas about brass playing.

I like to put it this way- go back and take a listen to Phantom Regiment playing Nessun Dorma back in '91. Check out how long the last release rings (STILL the best release in the history of drum corps, imo).

Definitely use an "air-stop"/short breath in. Stopping with your tongue will clip the sound and prevent the note from resonating like it should- unless that's what the brass staff is telling you to do, in which case they have some... interesting ideas about brass playing.

I like to put it this way- go back and take a listen to Phantom Regiment playing Nessun Dorma back in '91. Check out how long the last release rings (STILL the best release in the history of drum corps, imo).

Great example... it also rings even more because of how tune it is in.

I think one release does beat it though... Phantom Regiment '06, release at the end of Ave Maria. Not only one of the most beautiful moments in DCI history, but what a release. what perfect balance. Their contra sound that year was amazing. I thought that was one of their best sounding and darkest horn lines to date.

Whenever not breathing out, you should breathe in.