Who will be the next to win?

I'm going to say we won't see a new champion in DCI.

My $0.02.

This.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think anybody, not even Carolina Crown, is going to beat BD, Cavies, Cadets, Regiment, and SCV all on the same night. Least of all if that night is a Saturday in early-mid August.

It's not going to happen. Don't look for it. Be happy with what you've got.

I would really like to see how this "competitive rivalry" between the Bluecoats and CC works out. I think the hype for one of us to be the next new champion is pretty cool, and I hope it comes true soon enough, if only so the members could say "yeah I was a part of history" instead of "yeah I was there for the Blue Devils 13th championship." I'm willing to work for it no matter how improbable it really is, because I still view it as possible.

...but when it comes down to it at the end of the year, no matter what place we got, I'm still #### proud to have marched with my corps.

"If I succeed, it will be with a smile on my face and a gut full of satisfaction; and if I fail, it will be with a smile on my face and a gut full of satisfaction." - Michael Gray

One can still believe....that a corps will come aliong like Star of Indiana, and upset the apple cart.

Have to have all the right ingredients....staff...concept.....talent.....organization.....oh n yea money.

Crown is close. Their shows of recent years are championship caliber, no bout adout it.

Edited by Achilles

Crown or Bluecoats are the obvious choices... but remember people were calling for Bluecoats to win soon after they finished 4th, and look what happened to them (I mean, they are still really good, and put out great products, but they haven't matched their 4th place finish).

If I had to bet on Crown in 2009 from two choices, 4th or higher and 5th or lower... well, I would take 5th or lower.

As long as the Cadets/BD/PR/Cavies[Madison/SCV] are the only corps with a staff that has designed and taught winning shows, and as long as marching members still move to those corps in their final year of marching, after marching 1-5 years at another corps, it will be virtually impossible for another corps to win. Continually replacing your most experienced members with least experienced ones (rookies) is obviously not a recipe for moving up competitively.

As long as the Cadets/BD/PR/Cavies[Madison/SCV] are the only corps with a staff that has designed and taught winning shows, and as long as marching members still move to those corps in their final year of marching, after marching 1-5 years at another corps, it will be virtually impossible for another corps to win. Continually replacing your most experienced members with least experienced ones (rookies) is obviously not a recipe for moving up competitively.

Which is why corps that hope to be competitive on that same scale (in this case, lets say Bloo and CC), have to put out shows of a caliber that will keep members from wanting to leave and also attract talent, right? If we can at least remove one variable working against non-championship corps, that's a step in the right direction, I would think.

Like BlooContraGuy, regardless of placement, still proud.

Crown or Bluecoats are the obvious choices... but remember people were calling for Bluecoats to win soon after they finished 4th, and look what happened to them (I mean, they are still really good, and put out great products, but they haven't matched their 4th place finish).

If I had to bet on Crown in 2009 from two choices, 4th or higher and 5th or lower... well, I would take 5th or lower.

Crowns show last year was much more like a first place show than a 5th place show. To be quite frank, (just like Cavies or BD) they could have very easily have won last year and not many people could have made an argument against it. All top 4 corps were very close. The drop off in my opinion came between Crown and the Cadets. Crown will win finals. If not this year then soon.

Edited by bmroth1

Recently, Bluecoats 2007 came closest to being the 'next' champion...and ended up in 7th...go figure.

Crown is close. Their shows of recent years are championship caliber, no bout adout it.

Odd. I'd say the opposite.

What I mean is: They perform well enough to be championship caliber in comparison to some previous years, but their show design is what is holding them back.

i think the julliard trumpet ensemble. i just saw the performance of festive overtur they posted on youtube (they posted it themselves, of a public performance of a public domain work) and they are pretty amazing. i'd give them high brass right now, and they even do visual stuff. slap some drums and flags on their and they are top 3, at worst.