Who will be the next to win?

I think it is WAY too early to try and predict who will be the next new DCI winner. Everyone is quick to jump on the Bluecoats and Crown bandwagon, but

1. Bluecoats have spent more time fighting to be in Top 6 than fighting to be in Top 4 (and have never placed third or higher).

2. Crown has only placed 6th or higher in their entire corps history.

When Phantom (the last 'new' winner in 1996) won in 1996, they had:

1. placed second four times in the two decades before winning

2 placed in Top 3 seven times in that same period

Star of Indiana, the 'new' winner before Phantom, is obviously a special case because they burned twice as bright and half as long as most corps. However, before winning in 1991 they at least placed 3rd the year before they won, after building a VERY strong foundation.

I think until another corps starts placing in the Top 3 for at least a year or two, it's too early to talk about a new champion. There is NO WAY Crown or Bluecoats will win a Championship until they at least place Top 3 first. Once one of them does take 3rd or higher, then we can talk/speculate about when they'll win DCI.

What?

I think it is WAY too early to try and predict who will be the next new DCI winner. Everyone is quick to jump on the Bluecoats and Crown bandwagon, but

1. Bluecoats have spent more time fighting to be in Top 6 than fighting to be in Top 4 (and have never placed third or higher).

2. Crown has only placed 6th or higher in their entire corps history.

When Phantom (the last 'new' winner in 1996) won in 1996, they had:

1. placed second four times in the two decades before winning

2 placed in Top 3 seven times in that same period

Star of Indiana, the 'new' winner before Phantom, is obviously a special case because they burned twice as bright and half as long as most corps. However, before winning in 1991 they at least placed 3rd the year before they won, after building a VERY strong foundation.

I think until another corps starts placing in the Top 3 for at least a year or two, it's too early to talk about a new champion. There is NO WAY Crown or Bluecoats will win a Championship until they at least place Top 3 first. Once one of them does take 3rd or higher, then we can talk/speculate about when they'll win DCI.

Im just gonna say that you are wrong on that one.

anyway, you do have a point with the necessity for a top three placement before a championship can be attained.

Edited by BlooContraGuy

Im just gonna say that you are wrong on that one.

anyway, you do have a point with the necessity for a top three placement before a championship can be attained.

I think what he said and what he meant were two different things.

But I agree with what I think he meant in that post.

What?

I apologize for the confusion. I was typing this while waiting for my seven year old to get his sandals on so we could go see Star Trek, and I was in a hurry to get out of the house.

I meant to say:

Crown has only placed 6th or higher TWICE in their entire corps history.

Spoken like a true believer in Competitive Inertia.

Or a believer in actual historic facts. Post tick era, NO CORPS has won a championship without first placing in the Top 3.

Call it competitive inertia, call it history, whatever. The fact remains that no corps has ever come from non-top 3 placement EVER, to DCI Championship.

No corps has EVER come out of quarterfinals 3rd and won finals. Ever. It'll never happen, it's impossible!

No corps has EVER come out of quarterfinals 3rd and won finals. Ever. It'll never happen, it's impossible!

Actually, prior to last year, it happened at least in 98 and 96 (Phantom was actually in 4th at quarters if I remember correctly). That's just what I remember, and that's prior to the build up judging system.

And guess what: neither of those winners made Top 3 for the first time when they won :blink:

I agree in saying that I'm not that sure that either that Crown or Bluecoats (the two favs I guess) will be the next ones, but I really do see them as the corps to shake things up in the next few years.

I definitely see Cadets coming back with a vengeance this year, and I'm definitely not in the position to welcome this marching where I march.

whoops, left out a few words that allow this to make sense..

Edited by nothingbetter

My list of likely new champs, in reverse order of likelihood:

5. Polytechnic Motoelectric Synthesizer Ensemble and Colorguard

4. Bluecoats

3. Carolina Crown

2. 26th Carolina Regiment Brass Ensemble and Colorgaurd

1. The Artist Former Known as The Holy Name Cadets