Fund raising, legal issues, etc . . .

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Do corps really get paid to march in parades? It's my experience that it's the other way around."

Actually, corps do get paid to march parades. Some of those parades pay quite well, too. A lot of corps use the 4th of July as a fundraiser day to spend the day marching in parades. When I was instructing, the entire July 4th was spent participating in parades in the greater Chicago area. Much money was made. When the corps grew in size, it was split in two. Two smaller corps from one, more parades, more money. A lot of open class and world class corps would do these parades, with a lot of the world class corps split in two to maximize the benefit from

more parades.

Do corps really get paid to march in parades? It's my experience that it's the other way around.

Try to leave CA occassionally. In the northeast and upper midwest, I have heard of corps getting paid as much as $4,000 for a single parade appearance. Drum corps have to do many different things to raise money outside of CA, such as having members work stadium concessions, stand on street corners and collect money, doing drum-a-thons and march-a-thons, etc. Outside of CA, bingo has been a minor (at best) money maker for years, so these other corps have been forced to to many different things to raise money to survive.

And, BTW, is having people work at a bingo game (G-A-M-B-L-I-N-G) more ethical than playing a horn for twenty minutes? :blink:

This looks interesting.

http://www.bluestars.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=8475

Come on, Powerball ticket :blink: .

Why limit it to one winner? There are many poeple willing to pay to do it. Set a price and see how many people sign up. At the very least, you should take the "top 5" bidders, and then give em each 5 minutes. Would take a half hour, make a good publicity video, and get a few more $$ in there.IOW, make it "an event." Maybe have the drum major "teach" a short section of the current show to the unsuspecting honorary drum majors. Win-WIn (except for the caption heads, who always ##### when their time is taken away! And you KNOW it would be horn rehearsal reduced, lol.)

OK I have to chime in, be patient this may be a bit long, first I am from Canada where some laws are different but usually similar, take this with a grain of salt but perhaps this may ease some of the concerns Newseditor44 has.

First there has to be an understanding that an auction is very different from a lottery or BINGO. Those are games of chance, you purchase a ticket for the opprtunity to play a game and PERHAPS win. In an auction, you participate and you control at what level you wish to continue, like walking through K-Mart during the blue light special. In the eyes of our laws here, the biggest questions that would be asked are....Is the auction being advertised correctly, that is who is administering the auction and the item for it (in this case the Blue Stars, therefore ultimately the highest level of management such as the bod and the opportunity to conduct the hornile), is there a fee to enter the auction (apparently not), is there an Auction House - an aution company or auctioneer who is licensed to and pays appapropriate business tax to the governing municipalityas they operate a business to sell items through auction on consignment and recieve a fee for doing so, (aparently no) are the terms clear (yes highest bid by specific date is the winner to conduct at a specific location or date or arrange an alternate with management)

So in my municipality, this auction would be 100% legal, and here is the explanation, first the medium the auction takes place (internet, live, phone etc...) has no bearing on it's legitimacy (sp?) there is no auctioneer or auction house being paid to administer the auction, there are terms set out. As those terms and the content may vary from location to location, where I am from it would be seen as legit. As far as would it be legal to have the membership (especially those not the age of majority participate) Upon membership within an organization a release for many items would usually have to be signed by those of the age of majority in that region or their guardians, this often includes the use of the person in promo material, video/picyures, fundraising etc... my understanding is that in the "contract" members enter with most DCI corps, these items are pretty standard. So in the end basically there would be no difference to running this auction then having a bake sale. The laws for gaming/gambling are there to protect consumers, not the organizers and so fees and licences would need to be paid and obtained. Although the auction may seem loose in it's terms, by all my information it is 100% legal. So, from the standpoint of a governing municipality or heaven forbid a judge in a civil matter, if you are not clear about the terms of the auction either gather more information or avoid it. In my area, an aution is seen as much like a yard sale, a private group or person offering something for sale at a price to be determined by the parties involved on a one time or or very occasional basis (in our municipality no more then twice in 12 months), however if there was an auction house involved, this would be like running a business, where business taxes etc... would have to be declared, really confusing all this long tid bit of info but in a nutshell, it would appear that the corps has met all the terms and is having a private auction (meaning they will not be doing this on a regular basis or paying someone a fee to adminster the auction) so for those so inclined....bid high!!!!!! (On Topic.....I would love to be able to participate in this!!!!!)

Yes, you do sound snarky. I respectfully disagreed with the premise of the fundraiser. I'm sorry you don't like that, but it's my opinion.

I support all of the corps and their attempts to raise money, including the Blue Stars. I question the morality behind the event, and though I'm not an attorney, would question the legality of such and event (though it would probably be negligible at best).

These are a group of students who pay to be a apart of a non-profit organization, and the organization is using them to make money. They are not professional musicians and are not getting paid. This might be a stretch but legally can you force a minor to take part in a fund raising campaign without their consent? Without their parents consent? Would using a child to raise funds by auctioning off their services be violating laws? Have the kids been given the chance to opt out if they don't want to do it? Are they being made aware that they can opt out? Has this been vetted by attorney's? Who is running the auction? Is there a disclaimer that has been published for the auction? Does the corps understand the legal liability they have to run a fair auction?

Granted, a lot of these questions are extreme, however, these are precisely the type of things that cause good organizations to get into a heap of trouble. All it takes is one ###### off parent to find a shady attorney and file a lawsuit. I don't want to see happen to this corps. I have searched online and on the Blue Stars website and have not found anything that answers any of the questions above. In fact, the only thing listed online is on the message board. Posting the auction on a message board without any more information, especially without the proper due diligence is unacceptable.

Yes, this is probably a big deal over nothing, and the intentions are honest and good. But I would hate to see the Blue Stars amazing comeback be overshadowed by something as petty as this. In today's age every attempt has to be made to protect the organization and the kids, and without any other evidence my only conclusion is that this is not been vetted

Good God chillax man. Jealous you didn't come up with idea or what? You're getting WAY to worked up over this. The "morality" of it all?? Jesus I LOL'd for 5 min after reading that.

Do corps really get paid to march in parades? It's my experience that it's the other way around.

Yes they do. Given your "displayed" level of intellect on this thread I would have thought you would know that. In fact, it's one of the only reasons most corps even do parades. A quick way of boosting the operating costs for a few days.