Fund raising, legal issues, etc . . .

Do corps really get paid to march in parades? It's my experience that it's the other way around.

New Orleans Mardi Gras parades pay ( depending on the group and the Parade) $2000 to $3500 per parade.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Orleans Mardi Gras parades pay ( depending on the group and the Parade) $2000 to $3500 per parade.

I did one of those. Im pretty sure we got paid, and a crapload of free, really awesome food at Mardi Gras World afterwards..

Good times.... :blink:

hey gang

there's no reason to jump all over newseditor44. he does have some valid legal concerns re: regulation of auctions (yes, i am in fact a licensed attorney), which we can only hope that the blue stars (a wisconsin (?) organization) checked out beforehand.

if they didn't, i don't think the police are going to come knocking down their door, and i don't think they will lose their ©(3) status, but there are some interesting issues that have revealed themselves here, and are at least colorable according to my state's law. (note that i am not licensed in wisconsin or indiana, so i am merely speculating as to possible ramifications in other states. also note that if you are getting your legal advice from an anonymous poster on a drum corps forum, you may need to get your head checked. :) )

there's no reason to jump all over newseditor44. he does have some valid legal concerns...

No he doesn't. He's making hysterical claims based on speculation and supposition. And you're trying to lend them legitimacy by waving your shingle.

He makes it sound as if members would be duped in a fashion that is somehow exploitative. Or maybe he wants us to think this is somehow coercive.

It's neither. It's nothing of the sort - and we all know better. It's a simple device to encourage donations which asks the members to do nothing more than they do every day. That's really all that need be said about the subject.

Next bid.

HH

Edited by glory

What's next? Is some would-be DCP do-gooder gonna complain about the corps being asked to serenade the alumni gathering? Imagine asking the kids to do something that might be intended to encourage donations. They signed up to perform, not to pander. There must be some way to blame you-know-who for this one too.

HH

Edited by glory

I would hope that my post would not be construed (sp?) as any type of legal advice, I only know that if I were to participate IN MY MUNICIPALITY IN CANADA (which I stated at the beginning of the post) it would, under our current laws be considered a fair and legal auction (provided that all the parties actually do as they say they are going to do). I would however like to state a few things:

I understand completely what Newseditor44 was saying, and I was replying based on my location, although I understand a mute point since the Blue Stars are not from Canada but, the thought process that both Whitedawn and Newseditor44 bring forth is something that perhaps more organizations (and not just drum corps) need to consider before engaging in fundraisers etc.... I know a lot of groups have a 50/50 draw at shows or banquets etc... again this is my community so take it for what it is worth, even for a small draw you need to obtain a license from Town Hall, failure to do so can and has in our town stopped those groups from obtaining a lottery license for their "big draw" later in the same year. Something as small as a 50/50 draw that may earn you $150.00 can cost a lot more in fines, penalties and bad press, there is one group in our town who needed to get a service club to sponsor their draw for that very reason. So although it is probably not likely that someone may "shut them down" the bad press alone is enough to kill an upcoming fundraiser or make it impossible to proceed legally. Just sayin' but back on topic, if I could I would still LOVE the opportunity to participate.

No he doesn't. He's making hysterical claims based on speculation and supposition. And you're trying to lend them legitimacy by waving your shingle.

K.

i'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, but wisconsin auctions and auctioneers are regulated by wisconsin statues, chapter 480 and chapters rl 120-128 of the wisconsin administrative code. fwiw, my only point is that i hope someone checked these rules.

have a nice discussion, all!

K.

i'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, but wisconsin auctions and auctioneers are regulated by wisconsin statues, chapter 480 and chapters rl 120-128 of the wisconsin administrative code. fwiw, my only point is that i hope someone checked these rules.

have a nice discussion, all!

I've participated in yearly auctios for a completely different 501 © (3) organization in Wisconsin every year for the past 17 years. Trust me, the Blue Stars are fine and well within Wisconsin laws regarding these types of auctions. The auctions you are referring to are for profit businesses, not 501 © (3)s. Different circumstances, different set of laws, and yes, the Blue Stars have dotted all their I's and crossed all their T's.

Newseditor44 may now return to obsessing about whether the paperclips your employer has supplied you with comply with OHSA regulations regarding workplace injuries from metal slivvers and the everpresent dangers of possibly being pinched or poked from said incredibly dangerous weapons.

Different circumstances, different set of laws, and yes, the Blue Stars have dotted all their I's and crossed all their T's.

excellent news! thanks for the insight! i hope they raise a ton of dough, even though i still think this is kind of a weird way to go about it.

:)