I still wear my MTX from high school as dress shoes. They are actually my most comfortable pair of shoes!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I marched my first few shows in 2000 WITHOUT shoes. We just wore our white socks, with our white pants, in the rain, in the clay on the sidelines of the Disney Wide World of Sports complex. However, we were in the pit, so no one really noticed, except maybe judges.

HS - Dinkles. The sole came off during one of the BOA regionals I marched. HIGH SCHOOL drill was too much for them.

08 - MTX. Very comfortable and durable. Looks great when polished too :)

09 - Viper. Haven't worn them yet :thumbdown:

My first year with Freelancers, we were poor and the corps did not provide shoes. Most of us (myself included) wore US military issue black patent leathers bought from the Army/Navy surplus store. After that it was unfortunately Dinkles. They were pretty crap and fell apart rather easily. I reckon back then that Dinkles just were not engineered for the rigours of drum corps.

I should add that my rookie shoes (the patent leather military brogues)... I stll have them. Kept them when I joined the Air Force. Still have them and still wear them to work just about every day. They have had to be re-soled a couple of times but they are ticking along just fine!

I wear Dinkles, but mine have always help up fine. Plus, when I put them next to my old pair of MTX's from high school they just look thinner and less bulky.

High School- Style Plus I think? I was in pit so they were incredibly painful if you were just standing there. Not sure what they were like to march in

College #1- Tennis shoes (uniforms were khakis, polos, and a baseball cap. Yeah...)

College #2- MTX

Corps- Dinkles

I HATED my Dinkles. I had Spenco Polysorb Cross-training insoles in my rehearsal and marching shoes and they still couldn't make up for how awful the Dinkles were. Rubbed my heels raw, too. Lots of members' soles began coming apart about halfway through the season.

Even though they're kinda ugly, the MTXs were far, far more comfortable and easier to march in. They were cushioned, absorbed shock, had good tread, felt great in direction changes, and my feet felt secure in them.

SHAMELESS PLUG HERE....

If your band needs shoes for the fall marching band season, please contact me at eric@carolinacrown.org

We sell any brand and style shoe to numerous school programs across the United States. We will beat or match any competitor's price.

Know of a member in Crown? Tell me who and half of the profit will go to them, their current or future tuition, or just a really cool way for them to have an outside job in the fall to help them with school.

See you down the road and please join the Carolina Crown Facebook page for great updates, photos from the road and more information like this.

Peace.

Edited by njthundrrd

MTX in '05 and '06. Vipers in '08. I liked them both, though the Vipers didn't seem like they would last 2 seasons like my MTX's did.

Edited by MagicBobert