Synthesizers in drum corps

everything since amps was proposed has included passages about how allowing all of these wonderful new toys will help draw in more fans, and in some cases the phrase make drum corps more mainstream was used.

so you saying that these new rules arent bringing in people just pokes one more hole in the balloon used to get this stuff passed.

You missed the entire point Matt was making in his well-written post. It's not one individual change, but the sum of changes over time that keeps drum corps attractive to draw in a large audience.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point Matt was making, as have I many times, is that DCI changes and evolves to keep itself attractive to both it's target 'newer' audience and the many legacy fans who remain. It's not one thing...it's the trend and changes in general over time.

Not only do I disagree....so does George Hopkins. Apparently, the strategy behind changes like we're discussing in this thread is to target new fans, even at the expense of legacy fans.

(But don't take my word for it - go read the Hopkins proposal above, the part about "the classic audience of 1975" and "we need to move on in the face of vocal disagreement".)

The point Matt was making, as have I many times, is that DCI changes and evolves to keep itself attractive to both it's target 'newer' audience and the many legacy fans who remain. It's not one thing...it's the trend and changes in general over time.

And the point I was making, as I and others have many times, is that people don't read the abstract of the DCI rules congress each year to see if it's time to take in a drum corps show. The advent of new rules over one year or a decade won't pull a new audience, but it will drive away the old one.

And the point I was making, as I and others have many times, is that people don't read the abstract of the DCI rules congress each year to see if it's time to take in a drum corps show. The advent of new rules over one year or a decade won't pull a new audience, but it will drive away the old one.

Also, DCA has far less of those changes-particularly the controversial ones and is stronger now than in many years.

Not only do I disagree....so does George Hopkins. Apparently, the strategy behind changes like we're discussing in this thread is to target new fans, even at the expense of legacy fans.

(But don't take my word for it - go read the Hopkins proposal above, the part about "the classic audience of 1975" and "we need to move on in the face of vocal disagreement".)

Wow... :tongue:

I did...and I have no idea how you come up with your view on what he said, as what he said supports my opinion about legacy fans and the target audience of newer fans.

Personally, I love them, I want to make them leap from their seats, but for the sake of tomorrow, and we cannot use this class of people only as the opinion makers for our performing groups.

Where does he say he wants them to leave? He is saying, as I have said many times, that DCI cannot use the audience of '1975' as the ONLY opinion makers in deciding what rules should and should not be passed...that DCI has to focus on younger scholastic music participants...not that he wants legacy fans to leave.

The new rules in general are what keep DCI relevant to the young audience, so yes, taken over time the totality of the new rules is what pulls in the younger audience...and plenty of 'old ones' remain as well. Do some leave? Sure, but that has always happened as 'real life' gets in the way...or some people just don't like what they see and hear. I don't recall saying that NO legacy fans leave, but IMO it is vastly overstated here by those who claim legacy fans are leaving in droves.

Cool, thanks. That's exactly what I was asking for. Like Jeff, I'll probably have to wait until I get home to really look at it, I've burned too much company time on DCP already today. :tongue:

well, i am glad he found it as my night was spent at the hospital attending to my mom. thanks audiobob

You missed the entire point Matt was making in his well-written post. It's not one individual change, but the sum of changes over time that keeps drum corps attractive to draw in a large audience.

and the sum of changes over time til 2004 went over well.

I did...and I have no idea how you come up with your view on what he said, as what he said supports my opinion about legacy fans and the target audience of newer fans.

Where does he say he wants them to leave? He is saying, as I have said many times, that DCI cannot use the audience of '1975' as the ONLY opinion makers in deciding what rules should and should not be passed...that DCI has to focus on younger scholastic music participants...not that he wants legacy fans to leave.

Mike the audience of 1975 is his classic dig at anyone opposed to the changes he pushes.

because if you arent with his ideas, you're "old school"

and here you have classic examples of 80s and 90s folks not liking what he wants to become