Synthesizers in drum corps

I'm not sure about the "red" part. :thumbup:

well, it is a family site :tongue:

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations, DCP. It took you 141 pages, but you've finally reached the G bugle/Bb horns argument you were looking for.

So...how 'bout them synths?

Sometimes, in the natural course of conversation, things tend to drift from one topic to another.

Indeed, how about them synths?

It's sad. Plain and simple. It does not bring a tear to my eye, it does not inspire me, it does not make me smile, it does not impress me. Anybody can make those sounds and it really cheeses up the corps. I'll be laughing/crying all through finals in my prime seats and be going next year because Star of Indiana will be there, but from 2011 on it'll be bye bye Drum Corps until they come down from the BOA perch which will probably be never. So sad. A truly original art form has died. Bring on the woodwinds and complete the death of drum corps please.

Saw BD and SC this weekend... keyboards well-played and generally appropriate musically, but detracted from the sound EVERY time they could be heard. Final nail: the big push in Appalachian Spring with the keyboard reinforcing the low brass part and destroyng the sonority of the brass sound in the process. All the stink over the superiority in intonation of Bb horns, only to be overpowered by a conflicting waveform. It's a shame.

It's sad. Plain and simple. It does not bring a tear to my eye, it does not inspire me, it does not make me smile, it does not impress me. Anybody can make those sounds and it really cheeses up the corps. I'll be laughing/crying all through finals in my prime seats and be going next year because Star of Indiana will be there, but from 2011 on it'll be bye bye Drum Corps until they come down from the BOA perch which will probably be never. So sad. A truly original art form has died. Bring on the woodwinds and complete the death of drum corps please.

Anyone can make those sounds on a synth but not everyone can do it well.

Most people can make a sound on a drum or brass instrument but that doesnt mean they will be doing it well or will be marching with BD or PR.

As far as Star of Indiana, i cant say this would a fact, but chances are they would be fully running with the amplification and synths if they were still competing today........have you ever seen BLAST?

Most people can make a sound on a drum or brass instrument but that doesnt mean they will be doing it well or will be marching with BD or PR.

As far as Star of Indiana, i cant say this would a fact, but chances are they would be fully running with the amplification and synths if they were still competing today........have you ever seen BLAST?

I believe if Star was still in DCI, these changes would have all been made sooner...probably nearer the turn of the century. Also, there would have been way more adjustments to the competition element...I think it would have had a net reduction in emphasis.

Yup...imagine them deciding to add a valve to a bugle.

Oh come on Mike - you know what he's talking about, and no - it's not the same thing....

I've seen BLAST, completely different medium and ideals. It's much simpler to play these emulated sounds on keyboard than it is to play the actual instruments it is emulating. Any keyboardist with a bit of talent could make BD, but not just any brass/percussionist could.

Freelancers were great BTW! A great corps through and through.