Synthesizers in drum corps

A synthesizer isn't any more a prerequisite for competitive success than any other individual pit instrument.

And at one time the pit was an option too....

Just give it some time and people will wonder how DCI survived without synths. "Oh how horror that had to have been"......

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

List of corps whose shoelaces don't match the color of their shoes:

Wow. I'm blown away by that! It really makes you think...

List of corps wearing spats:

This game is fun!

And at one time the pit was an option too....

It still is. But would you want to march chimes like that poor kid in the 27th Lancers show on the Classic Countdown? How many kids marching today do you think would want to do that?

I don't think Jim was here when the word "yuck" was declared an attack on kids everywhere. :smile:

Actually it doesn't seem to be nearly as big a deal if you're commenting on a picture of Glassmen's new uniforms as it is if you're commenting on a picture of a piece of equipment in Spirit's pit. I wonder why that is?

List of corps playing the music of Wesley Willis:

I'm stunned by that!

Yeah, but that's only because the rules prohibit sampling, so you can't hit the demo button and sing along. :smile:

Yeah, but that's only because the rules prohibit sampling, so you can't hit the demo button and sing along. :smile:

I can't wait for that, actually. Then I can post.....

List of corps who AREN'T playing the music of Wesley Willis:

:smile:

It still is. But would you want to march chimes like that poor kid in the 27th Lancers show on the Classic Countdown? How many kids marching today do you think would want to do that?

My understanding is the pit is a certain percentage of drum score which isn't an option by my (repeat my :smile: ) definition. IOW, if the pit ain't there part of the score will be a big ol' goose egg before you even start.

Caveat: At least that's what people told me a few years ago when I asked about a "throw back" show with marching bells, tymps and no pit.

Edit: CT Hurricanes had chimes in the mid 70s that the guy pushed to the front of the field while marching. Rest of the time he marked time while playing. :smile: Alos remember the poor bastichs in RI Matadors that marched double steel drums in 1975. :smile:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

So you are assuming that you need to have chimes (or marimba or whatever) in your show .. Who says? Shouldn't that all be considered optional? Really, though, what do you think would happen to your perc score if you just eliminated all those pit instruments and had no pit?

Like it or not -- judging has accepted the pit and pit instruments to the point of requiring them as part of a high perc score. That makes them not optional.

(disclaimer -- my argument is only is response to your comments about pits being optional. It should not necessarily be construed to extrapolate to any other argument at this time :smile:)

I read Jim's post as referring to the act of grounding the pit, as opposed to marching those instruments. I'm no historian, but drum corps have been using mallet percussion instruments since well before DCI was formed, probably since before most on these boards were born. Eliminating those instruments altogether from your show would be a pretty radical thing, more akin to removing half the voices from your hornline.