Synthesizers in drum corps

I read Jim's post as referring to the act of grounding the pit, as opposed to marching those instruments. I'm no historian, but drum corps have been using mallet percussion instruments since well before DCI was formed, probably since before most on these boards were born. Eliminating those instruments altogether from your show would be a pretty radical thing, more akin to removing half the voices from your hornline.

Granted, but my point is that nowhere in the rules does it say that certain voices are mandatory, yet removal of them would certainly hurt your score. This is because over time (from well before DCI was formed as you say) these instruments/voices have become accepted and judged accordingly to the point of becoming not really optional, that's all.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read Jim's post as referring to the act of grounding the pit, as opposed to marching those instruments. I'm no historian, but drum corps have been using mallet percussion instruments since well before DCI was formed, probably since before most on these boards were born. Eliminating those instruments altogether from your show would be a pretty radical thing, more akin to removing half the voices from your hornline.

Can't find the original thread but my idea then was using the marching set up of my day which would have been 4 bells and 4 tymps. Can't rememeber the details (or if there were details :doh: ) of the discussion but was told "no pit = zero in one of the sub captions". No idea if the problem was not grounding anything or if the lower number of bells and missing other "stuff" was the problem.

For the last time so it's clear to everyone, the answer to this and all similar ridiculous questions is an unequivocal NO!!!!!

Just don't want synths and mics.

Are we all clear now?

That's good.......

My point was that every time there is a new rule change, such as adding a pit, or going to 3 valves, people FREAK OUT and think it's the end of the activity, yet years later, it's still thriving, and it's hard to imagine drum corps without some of those things.

I think that this will happen with synths, and if it doesn't, the kids marching now (who don't seem to care) will become the fans, and continue to not care about synths.

My point was that every time there is a new rule change, such as adding a pit, or going to 3 valves, people FREAK OUT and think it's the end of the activity, yet years later, it's still thriving, and it's hard to imagine drum corps without some of those things.

Define "thriving". I see that as describing only a sub-set of the activity as a whole. Where is the vigorous grown of drum corps that would indicate a "thriving" activity?

I've said it before and I'll say it again...not every corps is out yet, nor are they all in World Class.

Even so, you cannot just state (like Scerpella did) what the intentions of each corps are. He has no idea why each corps chooses to use or not use electronics. Are some using synth simply to "keep up with the Joneses"? Certainly, and those are undoubtably the ones that are sucking at it.

Lets wait another week or so before accusing all corps of trying to take a virtual dump on the whole activity :)

well, lol, a lot of people think using the new toys at all is taking a dump on the whole activity

Ummm...all twelve are using synths...not just HNC. Just helping there.

But since you mentioned it...thanks for the official notice. 5:47 p.m. today, 6/23/2009. Mark it...it is now official. The ruination of DCI has begun!!!!!!!!!!!

And I thought it was the Bb horns that ruined DCI. My bad.

um...many people thought it began in December 2002 when it was voted in.

and of course many people said it began in 1971. I'll agree with that one since mike D was still marching then :doh:

Just like using water in the pit will now be a prerequisite for competitive success.

A synthesizer isn't any more a prerequisite for competitive success than any other individual pit instrument.

ah, but Jeff Fiedler himself said not using the toys was like competing with one arm tied behind your back.

so which is it?

Well, if you call the U-turn in attendance trends and DCI finances since amps were introduced "thriving"....

Well, if you call the U-turn in attendance trends and DCI finances since amps were introduced "thriving"....

I love it when people bring out that old saw. Unless you have the directly correlated evidence to back up your claim, you should leave lines like that in the shed.

It's like saying "if you call the U-turn in attendance trends and DCI finances since Phantom reintroduced white uniforms "thriving"...."