Synthesizers in drum corps

The section of the proposal that I referred to states that:

1) "young people are not coming into the stands"

2) "DCI needs to go after these young people as our primary audience."

and 3) "as we reposition ourselves we need to be COOL."

It seems clear from the context (this is a proposal to use electronic instruments, after all) that the use of electronic instruments will make us "COOL", and bring young people into the stands. The implied negative is that if we don't use electronic instruments, DCI will be "unCOOL" and the young people won't come.

winner

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practically every DCA show I go to is packed. The audience is a good mix of age groups, races, genders, etc. It's sad that GH has so little faith in the activity to believe that gadgets will add quality and fans. If DCI audiences are in decline, it's most likely tied to DCI's policies which have been geared toward making junior drum corps like BOA summer athletic national touring activity with synths, strings, trailer parks and grunge bands.

part of that mentality is just how a lot of the world thinks. they more techno gadgets you have, the better you are. i have friends who laugh because i dont have an iphone...guess what...i dont need one. my cell does what i want it to. but the more up to date with technology you are, the perception is you're "cool"

and thats the trap drum corps is falling into

part of that mentality is just how a lot of the world thinks. they more techno gadgets you have, the better you are. i have friends who laugh because i dont have an iphone...guess what...i dont need one. my cell does what i want it to. but the more up to date with technology you are, the perception is you're "cool"

and thats the trap drum corps is falling into

I heard synths with drum corps decades ago indoors, cool sound; I use the word cool 'cause that's where we live...watched the movie "Inspector Gadget". Is this what you're talking about?...worked in IT for 33 years and counting...got home laptop 3 years ago and cell phone 1 year ago, no-one laughs at me...

as You say...my mentality may not be how the world thinks; I'm a minority...

BUT I'm intrigued by today's drum corps and I miss the activity ;

You're just wrong, Broad brush...

Most of us just want the activity to be distinct from other marching arts, not the homogenization that is currently happening...

No, you're wrong :tongue: LOL seriously......what's up with this broad brush business? Stop "piggy backing" off of each other and explain yourselves individually so you don't get stroked with the "broad brush". Most of you want one thing, but what about what the rest want? I think there are still things for you to enjoy about the activity as well--some of you just seem stuck on electronics so much you can't find anything to compliment the corps on.

No, you're wrong :tongue: LOL seriously......what's up with this broad brush business? Stop "piggy backing" off of each other and explain yourselves individually so you don't get stroked with the "broad brush". Most of you want one thing, but what about what the rest want? I think there are still things for you to enjoy about the activity as well--some of you just seem stuck on electronics so much you can't find anything to compliment the corps on.

What do YOU want? I just want to hear a nice overtone in the hornline again instead of it being drowned out by the hum of the electronics. I have no problem with them in general, but they do take away from a drum corps' sound.

I'm not piggy backing off of anything, I've used the term on here many, many times. :smile:

If these same people did nothing, that would hurt too.

Did you consider the possibility that they might have good intentions? Perhaps they really believe that they can effect change - change that will bring back former fans.

You mean a little tough love will do the trick. So, you punish the activity and it changes the rules back to no electronics? I will be okay with the change back to no electronics, but what happens if your punishment goes beyond what you were intending? What if all this squabbling and carrying on that you're doing for the "good" of drum corps harms more quickly and worse than what you've suggested electronics are doing? Cutting off your nose to spite your face isn't the best way to deal with facial imperfections is it?

What do YOU want? I just want to hear a nice overtone in the hornline again instead of it being drowned out by the hum of the electronics. I have no problem with them in general, but they do take away from a drum corps' sound.

I'm not piggy backing off of anything, I've used the term on here many, many times. :tongue:

How is it possible for you guys to say "most of us feel this way or that way about electronics", and you continually help each other out with arguments--yet you say you're not piggy backing off of anything. Then turn around and complain about the "broad brush" approach. It feels like i'm talking to one person and that person gets stuck or isn't doing an adequate job at arguing and somebody else has to chime and help. Then you agree like "yeah what he said"--that's piggy backing which will get you the broad brush.

I heard synths with drum corps decades ago indoors, cool sound; I use the word cool 'cause that's where we live...watched the movie "Inspector Gadget". Is this what you're talking about?...worked in IT for 33 years and counting...got home laptop 3 years ago and cell phone 1 year ago, no-one laughs at me...

as You say...my mentality may not be how the world thinks; I'm a minority...

BUT I'm intrigued by today's drum corps and I miss the activity ;

Yes, your on the right topic. Did you mean to use the word "cool" to describe the synth sounds? If so, I find it to be an interesting description for the synths because that's the effect that the proposal mentioned.

Edited by SpiritofAtlanta99

How is it possible for you guys to say "most of us feel this way or that way about electronics", and you continually help each other out with arguments--yet you say you're not piggy backing off of anything. Then turn around and complain about the "broad brush" approach. It feels like i'm talking to one person and that person gets stuck or isn't doing an adequate job at arguing and somebody else has to chime and help. Then you agree like "yeah what he said"--that's piggy backing which will get you the broad brush.

It seems quite possible for two posters to agree on an opinion without being in full agreement on what the appropriate reaction to that opinion is. For one, the dislike of electronics could be very strong, so strong that they are turned off to the entire product of corps that use electronics. For another, perhaps the electronics are the only aspect of some corps' performance that that poster doesn't like.

Some see this issue as being indicative of a trend in the activity, and maybe they have difficulty with the general direction that electronics represent. Others may like electronics, but feel that other changes are outside of the scope of their enjoyment.

All of these view points are possible, as well as endless variety and degree. When Poster A agrees with a point made in a specific post, is doesn't necessarily mean that poster A agrees with every opinion expressed in Poster B's other posts. Or even every point made in that post. That is why it is necessary to read and consider each poster's statements in their entirety.

This thread has continued for almost 2500 posts because this issue isn't all black and white. It isn't as simple as "I love synthesizers" vs. "I hate synthesizers". (Or maybe it is, and we all just love to argue. And yes, I realize that there have been many digressions and rehashes along the way.) Just as it is possible to agree with someone's opinion about a given corps' hornline but not share their opinion on that corps' colorguard, it is possible to agree on their dislike of electronics in drum corps, but still differ on what it is they find displeasing about them. Or more to your point, what to do about that dislike.

Just as the "anti" crowd has much diversity in their feelings on this subject, the "pro synth/electronics" posters aren't all in agreement about what it is they like about these items and why. So, when someone paints all those that dislike electronics as being in one "anti-change" group as has been done so many times in this thread, it is no more accurate than painting everyone who like them as being "pro-woodwind". That description might be true of some posters, and still not apply to others, even though they agree on this one point.

So you don't listen to any recordings or streaming video, either? Because that's electronic.

Try to stay in context.

Just to entertain you, though, consider this. Have you ever played a recording of drum corps for a friend, and then said, "It's much better live"? That suggests that the acoustic sound of brass and percussion was superior to an electronic reproduction. If that's true, then why do we need speakers on the field?

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor