Synthesizers in drum corps

A lot of kids go to corps that are reasonably close to them, so when they are cut, the travel to another corps is too much (money, time).

While I am sure this is true of some, it isn't true of all of them. I know of one kid who was applying to my group for a scholarship. He was a shoe-in, being as he was the only local applicant in his section. This kid had never marched before, and missed the final cut at his corps of choice. The scholarship was good for any corps, but he wouldn't even consider auditioning for an other corps, even though there was one closer, cheaper, and in the same competitive "slot" as his first choice. I can't imagine having that kind of brand loyalty for a group you have never been involved with. Of course, if he were a vet and being bumped by a newbie, (not sure how many corps do this) I could understand, but this was a 1st time auditioner.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tonight further convinved me outside of a sound effect it isnt needed and most of the piano stuff works well on much cheaper vibes and bells

I was about to argue for Crown's use of piano at the beginning of Sensemaya, but I just realized that there is no piano. I was just hearing low marimba and timpani. Would that low marimba even be audible without amps though?

(pearlsnaredrummer77 @ Aug 7 2009, 07:59 PM)

I wonder how in absolute numbers DCI attendance compares with say 1980. Not just DCI championships.

I think for a lot of people who became interested in the activity post 1995 or so, it's hard to understand that the DCI championships wasn't the be all and end all for every corps. There were so many important and historic championships that drew huge numbers, Marion, Toledo, Lynn, Butler... This is just crying over spilt milk either-specific DCI policies killed off all that and I am convinced that the adoption of new instrument families is just another step toward ruining the junior corps activity.

"Real" drum corps died long before you were born.

Actually I wasn't commenting on that argument. It's simple math. More people involved means a greater critical mass of support.

I was about to argue for Crown's use of piano at the beginning of Sensemaya, but I just realized that there is no piano. I was just hearing low marimba and timpani. Would that low marimba even be audible without amps though?

in Lucas Echo Dome, no. outside yes

QUOTE (pearlsnaredrummer77 @ Aug 7 2009, 10:51 PM)

The large corps allowed themselves to get larger and that really helped to kill off smaller corps. It was not a wise move for the health of DCI. Less corps means less shows, less fan base, less alumni, etc. Remember that in local corps not all members wanted to march in an elite corps. But those folks were an important part of DCI's fan base which everyone seems to admit has dwindled.

Not true. One of the big complaints here is that kids cut from their first choice never even LOOK at another option, so those extra 15 in a world class corps are not hurting the smaller corps at all. At least they participate.

It's no surprise that the big corps support a culture that contends only the big corps matter. When you promote the activity as "Marching Music's Major Leagues" who wants to spend resources in the minors?

Also, about distance. When DCI moved to the National touring model and so many corps died it then became a matter of not just driving down the road to the next drum corps, but in many cases an airplane ticket.

just watched some of the VOD stuff. man I hope they mix it better for the dvds or Lucas Echo Dome will really #### people off

ok...seasons over.

seeing a lot of people complain about the balance inside.

so people...what do we think? not that DCI cares

Synths really don't bother me, however for the added cost, it seems like a waste to use them for doubling the horn line.

I was more taken aback by the use of recorded soundtrack (must have missed it when that one passed), but that didn't bother me too much either.

The bass guitar in Spirit's pit, however, was very upsetting ... It's like we've accepted the inevitability of woodwinds and have already moved to legitimizing strings.

I see Woody Allen playing cello in the parade with his H.S. marching band.

ok...seasons over.

seeing a lot of people complain about the balance inside.

so people...what do we think? not that DCI cares

I think electronics have no place in drum corps, period, end of story. They just sound bad and detract from the brass and percussion. Perhaps we should ground all instruments in the pit and just have a professional dance and tumbling troupe do the field work!

At least the narration and associated vocal vomit seems to have diminished somewhat this year. Let's hope it dies a quiet death as soon as possible.

it seems the reliance of bottom end muddied up the already rotten sound in the dome