Synthesizers in drum corps

I've looked and can't find it. I'll have to form my opinion after I see whoever live (unless someone points me in the right direction). ;-)

You have to have FRIENDS in the correct BOOK to find that video. :shutup:

Edited by CoHmempho04

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish yall would listen to the clip floating around and then make comments.

its not all that hard to find

Then how come I haven't found it?....

omg people, can't you just wait until at least the first show. holy crap. What it's one or two weeks into spring training... some corps haven't even moved in yet.

We have some history to backup pre-season feelings,

Mind you...all of these items have been used extensively by marching bands all over the country for many many years...

1. Amplification....many fans said (Before the season started in 2004) they don't like amplification. After the season started.....they still didn't like amplification

2. Narration....many fans said (Before the season started in 2004) they don't like narration. After the season started.....they still didn't like narration

3. Electronic instruments....many fans have said (Before the 2009 season has started) they don't like electronic instruments....After the season starts....fill in the blank

And before you respond with "Many people changed their minds about amps/narration after the season started....Lots more felt the same way before the season started...they didn't like them.

I have heard electronic instruments used in the marching arts activity many many times.......I have not liked them.....not even once.

Oh...and the indoor WGI and drumline activities are totally different than the outdoor drum corps activity....

Not picking on you directly kickhaltsforlife.. :shutup: ...just a response (Opinion) for all who a have stated "Wait til the first show"

We have some history to backup pre-season feelings,

Mind you...all of these items have been used extensively by marching bands all over the country for many many years...

1. Amplification....many fans said (Before the season started in 2004) they don't like amplification. After the season started.....they still didn't like amplification

2. Narration....many fans said (Before the season started in 2004) they don't like narration. After the season started.....they still didn't like narration

3. Electronic instruments....many fans have said (Before the 2009 season has started) they don't like electronic instruments....After the season starts....fill in the blank

1. ...and some did like it.

2. ...and some did like it.

3. ...fill in the blank

I have heard electronic instruments used in the marching arts activity many many times.......I have not liked them.....not even once.

I have liked them when used well..and not liked them when used poorly...like anything heard on the field.

found the clip. Yeah bad audio and yeah its preseason. I sincerely hope that the corps refines their idea. Right now the syth. stuff sounds out of place and cheesy. We'll see what happens but I still don't like where this is going.

I'm not an expert on keyboards either but I bet a quality keyboard can have its pitch changed similar to how a tuner can tune to something besides A440. But yes that is an interesting point about tuning. It is hard to match pit with brass since they tune the exact opposite depending on the weather. Keyboards will make it even tougher.

You really think they're going to be able to reproduce the timbre of a 12-14 person mellophone line playing a horn part spread across twenty yards in the middle of the football field with a synthesizer coming through a single speaker on the front sideline on the 50-yard line?

This will not happen. Ever. Have you heard what synthesized brass instruments sound like?

But you wouldn't have to use synthesized instruments. The rules as read them would also allow for a Synclavier (After all, It's electronic). Then you could sample a true mello and manipulate it any way you want. and Synclaviers sound VERY GOOD. This is why I'm totally against this. I think in the hands of the right person a Synclavier or the equivalent could easily be used to augment the horline.

Edited by Perry S

I would bet you just about anything that just about every drum corps fan would not miss amps and narration if they were never used again......

Poor usage or not....to me the amps/narration and now electronics produce a sound that totally disrupts the balance of drum corps music...

Edited by Triple Forte

I would bet you just about anything that just about every drum corps fan would not miss amps and narration if they were never used again......

Poor usage or not....to me the amps/narration and now electronics produce a sound that totally disrupts the balance of drum corps music...

Totally agree. I for one would not miss them. I know the pit saves money and uses better technique with Amplification. Or do they ??? They don't spend money on fixing the keyboards but they spend it on amps and the equipment that goes along with it. And the balance was better before amps. Much less distracting from the rest of the ensemble before.

Totally agree. I for one would not miss them. I know the pit saves money and uses better technique with Amplification. Or do they ??? They don't spend money on fixing the keyboards but they spend it on amps and the equipment that goes along with it. And the balance was better before amps. Much less distracting from the rest of the ensemble before.

No, the pit sound is better now. The vibes and marimba especially benefit from miccing, and the better mallet selection options with mics makes for a better sound all around, IMO.

You are entitled to your opinion, which IMO is just not accurate. BOTH of the above when used well, as has happened a log of times since 2004, has enhanced the experience for the fans. Will some not like these things? Sure. IMO that's just too bad for them, but it's hardly a reason NOT to permit something. There are some who dislike every change made since 1960, but I don't see much clamoring here to appease those people.