OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

Jim,

Hate to be redundant but read my earlier post (below)........

There seems to be more then enough evidence via personal reports (show reviews) and personal comments via live reporting from alumni throughout the season to understand where the problems resided. WRITING/ARRANGING, DESIGN, CONCEPT!.........AND, talent rose substantially from last year!

A live review from last night’s quarter-finals directly from the 'venue' in Indi.

Bob984 (today @ 12:01)

Madison......they were fairly strong in the 1st half of the show......arrangements are not up to the caliber of the corps.....

visual design ok......endings not fully developed musically.......execution was ok across the board, but this

is another group in desperate need of an arranger............

.......Again, more evidence via consistent comments from the entire season. It's without a doubt the Men of Madison have nothing to be ashamed of! They worked their collective

tails off in classic Madison form. It's just a crying shame the Men didn't have the vehicle they deserved, because they certainly had the talent to take the next step beyond last

years finish, and they were eager to do so!

This really leaves some serious questions to be addressed in the off season. The most consistent areas of concern that have been communicated to me by those who've been

very close to the corps (alumni, etc) throughout the summer fall into the areas of Design, Concept, Writing/Arranging (not necessarily in that order). And I

heard this over and over and over and over and OVER again!

Please........PLEASE, can we just figure this thing out before next season?

In the mean time, let’s hope (and pray) for a high retention rate!

Well, Jerry, it appears you and I are in agreement.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I to was told the same thing via the Scouts ED of two ears ago. But, that's two years ago and another ED ago. Furthermore, it was never explained to me what "that" defining moment would be that says "ah-ha!.....they've arrived! and are now worthy of being re-fitted into white pants"! I guess we need to establish what "up to par" means?

I'd argue that white pants forces you to become "up to par" real quick. In other words, just do it!

Whatever happened to Spanos being the ED of the Scouts?

Why was he only in the position for one year?

I thought it was clear. Sadly, Madison just isn't very good this year when measured against the competition and the scoring criteria. They are 15th 0f 22, which makes them mediocre. It's not to stir anything up at all. In context with the subject at the time, it's realistic. I'm still a fan.

Using feminim labels as pejoratives won't hurt my feelings...

It's hard to take anything you say seriously given your avatar and it's undertones. Please consider this. Just a thought.

I did not make any negative comments about the Scouts during the season, but I think now is the time for Scouts fans to speak up. We now know that original music and drill and an obscure premise to the show does not necessarily win the hearts and minds of DCI judges. Accordingly, I hope next year the Scouts will return to recognizable music and some traditional Scouts drill elements and uniform. If the Blue Devils and Cadets can score 1-3 playing West Side Story and 1930's jazz, I think that kind of populist program is exactly what the Scouts need to rev up the enthusiasm of Scouts fans and Drum Corps audiences. If the Cadets and Blue Devils can score 1-3 wearing their traditional uniforms, I think the Scouts should return to the uniform they wore in the 90's. I suspect the 90's Scouts are the Scouts most fans identify with.

Vic Russell

Very well said.

I think I heard earlier this year that there were less than 10 members in the Scouts this year from the Madison area.

If this is correct, this saddens me, Scouts ere a corps that had a high percentage of local members when I marched.

I would suggest they spend more time recruiting local kids who are able to attend every practice, rather than out of towners who are hit & miss.

Do the Scouts have the same problem with out of town instructors?

Doesn't the Executive Director live in Ohio?

Spanos was ED in 07, and 08

the reason he no longer is?? don't know...........

Must be part of that Swagger thing. Yeah, everything's great - everyone just shut up and let the Director fix it all up. In fact he's in the process of fixing, can't you tell?

Wow......SARCASM ALERT!

HockeyDad........it's obvious there's some blind 'homers' on this forum but I'm certainly not seeing anyone goose-stepping or drinking the green Koolaid as you may be inferring. I think most here would agree that many expectations went horribly awry this summer for the Scouts and we're looking for answers as well. I also can appreciate that it's a natural reaction to go after the Director (I believe your referring to the ED, Chris Komnick?), since by virtue of his job title, most responsibilities point back to his door. This is Chris's first year in this position, but here's what I know about him.......he'll address the problems and I have all the confidence he'll right the ship. Chris is a tremendously talented and capable individual and is extremely well suited for his position. The Madison Scouts are very fortunate to have someone of his caliber at the helm......Let's just hope we can keep him!!

Again, I understand your desire for sarcasm, but I would suggest you contact Chris directly.......it's usually more productive.

Furthermore, if you've got a problem with the whole "swagger" thing then I'd suggest either finding a different corps to follow or you need to spend a little more time understanding who the Scouts are.

Edited by Mad75

I think I heard earlier this year that there were less than 10 members in the Scouts this year from the Madison area.

If this is correct, this saddens me, Scouts ere a corps that had a high percentage of local members when I marched.

I would suggest they spend more time recruiting local kids who are able to attend every practice, rather than out of towners who are hit & miss.

Do the Scouts have the same problem with out of town instructors?

Doesn't the Executive Director live in Ohio?

Are the local music programs capable of delivering kids that can successfully audition for a top-20 corps? I honestly don't know. I've lived in northeast Wisconsin for 8 years now. I'm not seeing it up here.

Best of luck to the Scouts on their journey back to the top 12. My guys went through the same thing. It was a long, hard road, but they came back. You can do it. Bottom line, you are the Madison Scouts, no matter what.

Hey folks.

I don't know what to put a finger on exactly. So, here's what I say, for what it's worth...

In many ways, the Scouts continue to be in an envious position from where other corps sit. They have a large and passionate alumni organization and have good lines of financial support, especially through this organization.

I believe this is what has led the Troopers back to finals. And I read a cautionary post by a Blue Stars alum and the same could be said of that organization.

So, the recent finals appearances, one with Spanos at the helm and the years with Sal in charge, did not erase the ghosts from this organization, and there are ghosts.

Exercise these ghosts. Get rid of them. I'm not saying through away the Madison identity, but I am saying, again, for what it's worth, the attitude + an outstanding show...and zoom. This corps has the work ethic to succeed. When I see their improvement from Dubuque to San Antonio and from SA to Allentown and then from Allentown to QFs, it's obvious the work ethic is there.

Many know I'm a huge supporter of the 14th place corps, the corps Madison was looking to "take out" last night. But, 14th would have been a sad consolation for this year's show. However, one advantage a corps like Academy has is it's easier to get away with a lousy product like the 2008 show was. There was some less obvious harm...a lot of talented kids from 2008 did bolt to other corps this year, but a year later, with some very smart decisions and a much better show design, a younger and less experienced corps achieved more. That's the Arizona story right now.

Madison has swagger....yeah, I get that. But, all the balls in the world mean nothing if you can't put the act together on the field. Madison 1995, 1997, 1999 were all great shows for those days. What is the best Madison show for 2010? Because performing in front of the largest crowd of the season is the initial goal. Then giving them the out of their seats type experience Madison is known for.

I wish great success to this organization over the offseason. Go get it done.

I guess you'll have to personally ask Jeff Spanos the same question. All I was told is that he had bigger fish to fry regarding personal matters and his own family, which most would agree is a fair bit more important. Also, if you hadn't noticed, Jeff still works with Madison in a marketing capacity.